PDA

View Full Version : The River

60's guy
May 29th, 2009, 04:45 PM
I happened to make an online connection with Dan Thompson of South Boston, VA a few months prior to a Jamfest that we would both be attending in 2006.

Dan sent me a two part mandolin track, keyboard, and drum track that he had recorded. He wasn't wasn't sure if it would lead anywhere.

I added some acoustic guitar, bass, and some additional percussion. I also wrote the lyrics and sang all of the vocal parts.

The best thing that came out of this collaboration was when Dan and I were able to perform this together at that Jamfest.

The worst possible thing that could happen was when Dan suffered a stroke 3 months after we performed together. Dan has been recovering ever since that stroke episode and is now slowly but surely regaining his chops.

PLease take a listen to The River ( http://www.box.net/shared/ccseb5i1mv)

The River was perhaps a once in a lifetime collaboration.

60's guy
June 6th, 2009, 08:31 PM
I'm somewhat puzzled at the lack of response here and I'm questioning whether or not I should post another song.

:confused:

60's guy
June 6th, 2009, 08:33 PM
There's more to life than Strat mp3 files.

just strum
June 7th, 2009, 08:10 AM
I didn't notice the original post and to be honest, when I finally did I assumed it was a cover of Bruce Springsteen and didn't bother opening it.

that said, very nice job. I like both contributions by you and your friend. I hope he is doing well and gets back to playing form real soon.

For those that haven't opened this, I think it will be worth your time.

If you are looking for Bruce or screaming solos, you won't find it here. This is good stuff.

tot_Ou_tard
June 7th, 2009, 09:03 AM
I too just noticed this thread. I like your stuff 60sguy. Keep it up!

I love the mandolin.

wingsdad
June 7th, 2009, 10:26 AM
I'm somewhat puzzled at the lack of response here and I'm questioning whether or not I should post another song.

:confused:
Me, too, amigo, but then, you know that I already know your stuff...I, for one, hope that you keep them coming. Because it's uniquely original and I think a lot can be learned from listening to your creativity and your range of co-players.

helliott
June 7th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Overall, the tune and ambience are very nice. I love the mandolin riffs and sound, but find the two parts are a little too busy. I'd like to have heard a bit more air in some of the mandolin work, although perhaps the mandolin wall of sound effect is what you and your partner were going for.
In any case, it's a lovely haunting melody. Thanks for sharing.

sunvalleylaw
June 7th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Sorry man, sometimes it takes me a while to catch up on member clips posted. I liked your NY cover. I just have not got to this one yet. Keep posting please!

EDIT: I just listened and really like it! I personally like the interplay of the Mandolin and the guitar/vocals. It sounds like a couple dancing in a way to me, if that makes any sense. I like it very much and hope your friend is doing real well. :)

Algonquin
June 7th, 2009, 05:04 PM
I can certainly understand how it can be frustrating when you put up a piece of yourself for others to hear (and judge)... it's a tremendous leap of faith. I did see the thread earlier this week and as was previously mentioned, also thought it was a Springsteen clip. Now that's not an excuse for not taking a couple of minutes and listening to what another Fretter obviously put a lot of effort, energy, and soul into. For that, I'd like to apologize.

I hope you continue to keep the posts coming, and continue supporting others as I seen you've done on many occasions.
Cheers :beer:
David

Jimi75
June 8th, 2009, 05:28 AM
60's guy, sometimes I come to the FRET and I find 250 new posts. So it might take some time to listen to all clips. By the way, I like Strat clips and pedal demos, this is one reason why I do love this place :AOK:

Listened to the song and was surprised that it is no Springsteen cover. I like what I hear :-)

Robert
June 8th, 2009, 07:44 AM
That is a great tune. It sounds very professional. Great job.

bigG
June 8th, 2009, 08:01 AM
That is a great tune. It sounds very professional. Great job.

I, too, have trouble keeping up w all the new threads. I'm new to this forum stuff, and this is the only one I belong to. I'm learning to check the latest post list, and to go into each forum and check for one's I didn't see. Sometimes they are replaced almost immediately, often by 2 or 3 new threads.

I listened and I think it's great. Very professional and the song is to die for! I love the descending mandolin and guitar runs. Fits the theme of the title. Vocals remind of Seals and Croft! Are you doubling youself, or what effect are you using on the vocals?

(I had the great fortune of hanging out w Jeff Hanna and Jimmy Fadden from The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band in the late 70s - backstage at their show. And again at a Pub located down the street from my record store. Louisianna's LeRoux ["New Orleans Ladies" was their one hit, but the entire album is great!] were doing a show there, and their manager was the same cat as the NGDBs, so Jeff and Jimmy were along for the ride, sitting at the bar having a few beers. I had LONG admired the NGDB and really enjoyed talking w them. Really nice, unaffected guys! And what they've done for bluegrass, hymns, gospel and mountain music in general, as far as renewing interest for posterity, i e "Will The Circle Be Unbroken Vols I, II and III" and many others, makes them saviors of that genre for all time!)

Great stuff, 60s Guy! I'm glad you called attention to it, or I surely still would not have heard it! :bravo: :beer:

60's guy
June 8th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Hey guys, thanks for listening, and I do apologize for my juvenile shout out of, "Hey! Listen to this song!" :thwap: I swear sometimes the older I get the more juvenile I become. :crazyguy:

I'm often very uncomfortable and unsure of my mixes because my hearing drops off significantly at 10 to 11 K.

Oh, and I do like Strats, especially SRV. ;)

just strum
June 8th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Hey guys, thanks for listening, and I do apologize for my juvenile shout out of, "Hey! Listen to this song!" :thwap: I swear sometimes the older I get the more juvenile I become. :crazyguy:

I'm often very uncomfortable and unsure of my mixes because my hearing drops off significantly at 10 to 11 K.

Oh, and I do like Strats, especially SRV. ;)

Sometimes you need to shout, especially here. Remember, there are some older folks here, plus old or young, we tend to sit in front of our amps.

bigG
June 8th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Sometimes you need to shout, especially here. Remember, there are some older folks here, plus old or young, we tend to sit in front of our amps.

:rotflmao: Hey, I resemble that remark! :rotflmao:

duhvoodooman
June 8th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Wow, very nicely done! We don't get much mandolin around here--nice change of pace! :AOK: :dude: :bravo:

oldguy
June 8th, 2009, 04:27 PM
Very nice song!:AOK:
Give a shout whenever you need to..........I often get home from work and find hundreds of new posts, and I know I miss a lot of them. You did a great job on this tune, and the story behind it is heartfelt and touching.
Thank you for sharing it with us all.:)

60's guy
June 8th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Remember, there are some older folks here.
Thanks a lot, Strum, for reminding me that I'll be seeing my 60th birthday in July.

:thwap: I just had a Frank Barone moment....."Holy Crap"!

I think I'll go get a haircut tomorrow. Yeah. That'll make me look younger. :rockon:

just strum
June 8th, 2009, 06:46 PM
Thanks a lot, Strum, for reminding me that I'll be seeing my 60th birthday in July.

:thwap: I just had a Frank Barone moment....."Holy Crap"!

I think I'll go get a haircut tomorrow. Yeah. That'll make me look younger. :rockon:

60???? Damn, you are as old as... well, you are older than me.

Take heart, next year at this time, you will still be older than me.