PDA

View Full Version : G & L Tribute

Robert
November 6th, 2005, 09:50 PM
Jon, you have one of these, don't you? Tell us how you like it! I tried one briefly, and I was impressed. It had a very nice sound.

EscalonJon
November 29th, 2005, 08:38 PM
Hey, Robert.

I have been out of state for a couple of weeks, so I haven't been lurking on the forum much.

I have a "Premium" model with the soapbar style single coils. It is natural (clear) ash. I have put Schaller locking tuners on it and a 4-way switch.

It is kind of heavy, which is the only downside. The neck is very thin, which takes some getting used to. The quality and the tone are both excellent. I think you can probably get some good deals on e-bay or ? I have a MIM tele, and I rarely play it. The Tribute ASAT hangs on the wall in my living room and gets quite a bit of playing by me and my pals.

I recommend...

Nelskie
December 30th, 2005, 04:59 PM
Well, it looks like you'll be seeing my name around this thread more often, as I decided to upgrade from my current Indonesian-made Squier Tele into a G & L ASAT Tribute. Just ordered her today (12/30). I've played the G & L ASAT and Bluesboy models, and really like their "feel", as well as their tone. Certainly, there wasn't anything wrong with the Squier - it does what it does very well (although I did have to upgrade the tuners and pick-ups). I personally like the thinner neck profile, and I think the G & L is very similar in that regard. Mine has the swamp ash solid-body, with the (2) single coils, maple neck, and tortoise shell pick guard. Very Keith Richards-y looking. Until then, I'll be waiting anxiously. ;)

Robert
December 30th, 2005, 07:48 PM
Sweet guitar! I'm envious.

Nelskie
December 31st, 2005, 02:07 PM
Thanks Robert. I'm pretty excited, too. The Squier was a great way to get "introduced" to the Tele vibe. No doubt about it - it was THE guitar that got me hooked on that classic Tele tone. Since it was becoming very apparent to me that I would be using a Telecaster more and more in my own playing, and upcoming recording project, I decided to "take the plunge", and upgrade my present Tele rig. That being said, I'm going to be happy to pass my Squier onto another guitarist, in the hopes that he / she will discover some of that same Tele "magic" for themselves - just like I did. :)

Funny thing, tho' - if you would've asked me ten or fifteen years ago if I'd be playing a Telecaster, I'd have looked at you cross-eyed, and probably laughed myself silly. :p "That's a country guitar, my friend," is what I'd have said. Now look at me - I'm playing a Tele, and listening to stuff like Chet Atkins and James Burton! Geez, some "metal-head" I am! Ha ha ha!

Nelskie
January 7th, 2006, 04:41 PM
Well . . . my *new* G & L ASAT Tribute arrived yesterday evening. Because it came from a cold UPS truck to warm house, I thought it would be a good idea to let it "acclimate" overnight (even though it nearly killed me not to play it!) Anyways, I put it through its paces today, and came to the rapid conclusion that it was far more guitar than I'd expected for the money (I did a "Best Offer" deal through an Ebay store retailer for $425; I think they list for something like $479, or maybe a tad more.)

Anyways, the string-through swamp ash body is unbeliebvably resonant (even unplugged!), and stunning aesthetically. With the natural body finish, tortoise shell pickguard, and chrome hardware, the guitar looks as good as it sounds. The all-maple neck is "just right" for me - smooth, playable satin finish; a "flattish" fretboard - perfect for chording and fast runs; and, the medium-jumbo frets are nicely finished. All of the hardware is top-notch. Everything about the guitar exudes quality - finish, feel, playability, aesthetics, and perhaps most importantly: the TONE! The hand-wound, USA-made Fullerton pickups that come stock on the ASAT Tribute give you all of those magically delicious Tele sounds, and sound equally great on both clean and dirty channels. Can't wait to try with a few of my own "metal-for-breakfast" Fender Dyna-Touch settings on my Cyber Twin! I bet it'll rock to no end.

I might also mention that the guitar came with a really nice G & L gig bag - as nice or nicer than the one that was included with my more expensive MIM Classic 60's Stratocaster.

I played the guitar on just my Epi Valve Junior today, and will probably session it with my other (2) amps tomorrow. That just might end up being a tough transition, as it's sounding killer through the VJ! I'll probably post a review on the G & L some time in the not-so-distant future, after I've had a chance to play and experiment with it a bit more. My initial reaction, so far: two thumbs up!! :D

6STRINGS 9LIVES
January 7th, 2006, 10:06 PM
Congrats on the GL ....tributes are great guitars , all that and a bag of chips..and amazing price too...love the ash its truly beautiful and the black pickguard looks classic ... twang machine extrodanaire.....6S9L

Robert
January 7th, 2006, 10:27 PM
Nice guitars, no doubt. I tried one in a couple of years ago in a music store in Edmonton, and nearly bought in on the spot. I ended up bying an Ampeg amp instead. Should have bought the Tribute! I remember I was fascinated how good it sounded with those weird looking pickups.

6STRINGS 9LIVES
January 8th, 2006, 11:28 AM
Robert we should start a thread called " the guitars i've left behind" its funny you still remember that one guitar you palyed or picked up at a shop and bought something else or the guitar that economics forced to be sold so rent or tuition or groceries could be bought .. how long did you keep the ampeg??
If you guys want to check out a brilliant tele player , listen to some of Red Volkaert"s stuff . originally from British Columbia now residing in Austin Tx., this dude is smoking , check out "telewhaker', from 98 or "no stranger to a tele" 2001 or his latest "for the ladies" he also plays with Merle Haggards band , he gets the most out of a tele ...6S9L

Nelskie
January 8th, 2006, 11:42 AM
69SL - Thanks for the tip on Red Volakert. If he's playin' with Haggard, he most definitely has to have some chops. Another brilliant Tele player worth mentioning is Robben Ford. The dude's tone is outta' site. I have a lot of his stuff on CD, and listen to it quite often. "Blue Moon" is one of his best, in my opinion, and one I'd highly recommend.

Robert
January 8th, 2006, 01:07 PM
Nelskie, I don't think I've never seen a Tele in Robben's hands. He used to play some Fender model with humbuckers, but now I think he plays Baker guitars. I guess he has plenty of guitars to choose from. I've seen him play a strat on a instructional video of his.

Yes, 69sl, why don't you start such a thread and I'll fill in with some stories.

Justaguyin_nc
January 8th, 2006, 01:43 PM
I think the Baker thing is his bread and butter..but he plays a blonde tele also... here is a link to the pictures... on his own site.. http://hometown.aol.com/fordnotes/Guitars.html

Nelskie
January 8th, 2006, 02:52 PM
No Telecasters, huh? Perhaps these guys are lying:

http://www.global-artist.net/ap11/ford_report_e.htm
http://www.axon.net/RobbenFord/RobbenFordBio.html

I know Robben has a signature Fender model, the "Ultra Ford", which is a double-cutaway style body. And I am also aware of his endorsement deal with Baker guitars.

He does play a Tele, though. And if my post had a lean on it being his primary axe, then indeed, I stand corrected.

Robert
January 8th, 2006, 05:19 PM
Nelskie, no intention to say you're wrong; I just meant I haven't seen him with a Tele, so I'm obviously not up to date on what guitars he's playing. He surely plays Telecasters! Sorry if my post came off wrong.

Nelskie
January 8th, 2006, 06:25 PM
No apologies necessary. Sorry if I was stand-offish.