PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else having humidity problems?

luvmyshiner
May 31st, 2009, 08:54 AM
Wow, the last two days have been really weird in Waco. Normally in the summer our humidity fluctuates between 40-50%. I check it at least twice a day in the guitar room. Friday night I noticed it had dropped to 35% so I turned on the humidifier. Saturday morning it was 50%, so I turned the humidifier off. It was up to 58% in the afternoon, then last night it dropped back to 35% (turned humidifier back on). This morning it's back up to 58%.

The only time I've seen fluctuations this dramatic was when we had storms coming in. But it's been a beautiful weekend. No rain, no storms, temps in the upper 80's.

Anybody else seeing anything unusual?

Rocket
May 31st, 2009, 10:01 AM
Weird.
Remember that a hygrometer doesn't measure humidy... it measures relative humidity which can vary a great deal depending on the accuracy of the meter. Start with fresh batteries in your hygrometer or try a different one to verify the RH.

wingsdad
May 31st, 2009, 10:18 AM
Yo, shiner ... are those readings just in your guitar room? Could it be you're driving the humidity up with the humidifier, then after turning it off, it drops.

I get the same thing all the time in my Guitar Humidor Closet/Cabinet, which is why I routinely turn it's humidifier on every other night to kick the RH up from 35-40 to 60, then it gradually drops down, especially since in the summer, I need to leave the Closet door ajar to let the A/C in and keep the temp in there around 68-70. I use 2 Hygrometers; an analog in the closet, and a Planet Waves digital in the Cab. Plus I keep Kyser Lifeguard soundhole thingys or Dampit worm thingys in my acoustics and electric hollow/semi-hollows (with f-holes), to ensure the tops don't get too thirsty as the RH falls. It's always about 5% or so higher in the Cab than in the closet; I dunno if it's cuz the PW thing is digital vs. the analog thing, but I suspect it's cuz the cab door stays shut.

The only humidity problem I have here in the SoCal High Desert is that 98% of the time, there is none, cuz if we're lucky, we get 5" of rain a year, the average RH is 15-25%, and whatever moisture is in the air, the Idiot Wind (up to 30MPH most days after 3pm) blows away.

luvmyshiner
May 31st, 2009, 10:30 AM
Good point Rocket, it has been awhile since I changed the battery on that meter. I'll drop a new one in today. I have two other meters so I'll put another one in that room to double check it.

Mick, that's just in the guitar room. I checked the meter in the bedroom and it looks like it's been fluctuating between 35-48% over the last 24 hours. Which is still a big difference for us at this time of year.

wingsdad
May 31st, 2009, 11:54 AM
How's the wind out there, shiner?
It's lower in the bedroom; maybe you need to pass less wind in there...:poke: :D

luvmyshiner
May 31st, 2009, 12:15 PM
Hmmm, I'll have to check into that Mick. Let me assure you, if the wind is a problem, Shiner is just the man to break it!:D

piebaldpython
May 31st, 2009, 12:56 PM
Shiner......just wondrin' here......:whatever: .......that if maybe the amount of libations you bring in or out of the git room is causing your problems....:poke: ....you leave the git room at nite and so does your ShinerBock and.....Voila!!: rotflmao:

luvmyshiner
May 31st, 2009, 01:50 PM
Wait, you mean beer can effect humidity????

(sigh) well, I guess it's a problem I'm just going to have to learn to live with.:beer: