PDA

View Full Version : Strat Pickup heights / pickguard

guitartango
May 31st, 2009, 02:10 PM
Hi Guys

Can any of you help me? I decided to change the height of the neck pickup in my strat and the pickup fell into the hole. No problem i thought i would remove the pickguard and re-screw in the pickup. Here is my question, how do you put the PG back in without removing the neck? Anyone had the same problem, if you tilt the PG then the neck pickup wont go in flush.

Heeeeeelppppppp

markb
May 31st, 2009, 03:37 PM
I had this happen a few weeks ago. I removed enough guard screws to be able to lift the guard, slipped a thin screwdriver under the edge and levered up the pickup to meet the screw. worked fine.

Your guard should go down flat without removing the neck, check that the wiring isn't fouling on the woodwork. Start refitting the guard from the neck end, slide it under the fingerboard overhang, work the wiring into the channels bit by bit as you lower the guard to the body. It can be done.

guitartango
June 1st, 2009, 05:41 AM
Thanks for that mark, in the end i undid the neck and put the pg back in. Restrung it and changed the height of the pickup.... only it happend again, think that your idea might be worth doing (Use a screwdriver). I thought that this would be easy as most people on the net say, just undo the PG and rescrew in........

markb
June 1st, 2009, 02:34 PM
Adjust a small amount at a time. With a strat pickup you sometimes have to give them a gentle push when adjusting downwards otherwise they don't move (the covers hang up on the guard) and you just keep turning that screw with the results you described above.