PDA

View Full Version : Classic Vibe Squier vs MIM vs MIA

SolShred
May 31st, 2009, 09:46 PM
hi i've been getting serious GAS for a new guitar. i originally wanted to get a used MIM strat off eBay and i did get one but i had to return it.
im still thinking about a MIM strat but after reading all these rave reviews for the CV squier stratocasters im seriously considering them.
which one is better in sound and playability, the 50's or the 60's Squier?
i recognized that the 50's has Alnico IIIs while the 60's has Alnico Vs
and the 50's has a maple neck while the 60's has a rosewood neck
i personally like the look of the 60's because of the 3 tone sunburst and the rosewood neck but which one feels better to you guys?

one more question: what tremolo set would fit in this as a replacement for the bridge that i heard was subpar to the expectations of the guitar
i want a full block too!

might just give up the Fender name for a Squier

markb
May 31st, 2009, 09:58 PM
The best advice I can give is to go to a shop with good stocks and try lots of strats. They will all be slightly different and one will speak to you (it will say "take me home"). It may not be the most expensive either. There's no substitute for finding the guitar that suits you.

Spudman
May 31st, 2009, 10:53 PM
Wasn't this answered this on the FDP forum?:poke:

A GFS 2-1/16" bridge and block combo will drop right in.

ZMAN
June 1st, 2009, 07:43 AM
I am partial to the 50s CV. I have quite a few strats and two Squiers with the A5s. I played a friends30 year old Strat and the A3s are the closest I have heard to that mellow tone.
I love the tinted maple board and the feel of this neck. Over all it is great value. I have a MIM Strat 60th Ann. awith the Tex Mex pickups and it is an excellent guitar. I also have a MIA Deluxe and it is also an amazing guitar.
Fit and finish are very close on all three, and the the only thing I can see is the price. Squier has been knocking it out of the park on their latest issues and you just can't beat them. I am sure the electronics could be better, but when you look for replacements most of them are made in China etc anyway.
I am more than pleased with all of my Squiers and the CV50s is on my lsit of keepers. And BTW I would not change the pickups on the CV50s at all.

Jimi75
June 2nd, 2009, 02:03 AM
The Squier Classics are excellent value for the money. I have played one shortly last week and I couldn't believe the quality. The necks are in my humble opinion better than the MIM necks.

But in the end, it depends on what you are looking for and what your "stomach" tells you. Good value for the money doesn't mean it makes you a happy man.

stingx
June 2nd, 2009, 08:27 AM
But in the end, it depends on what you are looking for and what your "stomach" tells you. Good value for the money doesn't mean it makes you a happy man.

Fortunately, with the Fender Jimmie Vaughan Stratocaster it did!

street music
June 2nd, 2009, 02:38 PM
I know my Vintage Mod Tele is a very nice playing guitar and I'm no expert but it sure has great sound and smooth neck.