PDA

View Full Version : Dvm's Mos Y Mas Od2 Review

piebaldpython
June 1st, 2009, 04:07 AM
OK....briefly.....a quick review of the DVM build of the BYOC OD2 pedal. Mine is a "hybrid" as I opted for the partial MOSFET mod in the input buffer, clipping position #2 and the boost circuit.....hence the name MOS Y MAS. One can opt for a straight TS build (Mudcat did I think) or go with full MOSFET in the output buffer and op-amp section. I went went the Burr-Brown op-amp for clarity and articulation.

For all intents and purposes the OD2 would replace the Digitech Bad Monkey AND Digitech Tone Driver pedals plus it gives you the separate boost circuit. It starts to cut into Screamin' Blues territory too!

IT SOUNDS GREAT WITH A PLETHORA OF SOUNDS!! SUPERB PEDAL.

APPEARANCE: It's a DVM build so 'nuff said. It looks COOL, the paint/decal are great.

FEATURES: Tone knob to cut add treble basically. Bass 3-position toggle to go from FULL to MORE to PHAT. BOOST stompswitch to engage boost and a separate boost volume. OD stompswitch to engage OD and a separate volume. GAIN knob to dial in amount of distortion on the back end of the OD circuit. 3-position toggle clipping selector. Mid is no clipping, position 1 is silicon-diode clipping, position 2 is MOSFET clipping.

SOUNDS: FABULOUS!! The BOOST is a very clear boost of the signal, think along the lines of the ZOOM feature on your camera. The OD is way cool, all kinds of tones and the clipping sections just add to the flexibility of the circuit. I have a LOT more experimenting to do with this puppy as this is just after an hour with her. Perfect pedal for OD and low level distortion playing. I highly recommend the partial MOSFET mod too as that is a not so subtle difference from the regular TS clipping. Nice and warm sounding.

CUSTOMER SUPPORT: :D It's a DVM build, which means Grade A+ info/response to any and all questions. Oh yeah, you get a packet of extra parts if there's anything you might want to change inside at a later date. he sends pics/diagrams to show you EXACTLY where and what to change.

I like my OD2 so much, I have 2 more pedals on order; the Tri-boost and British Blues OD.

sumitomo
June 1st, 2009, 07:33 AM
Cool Pie I have been interested in the mosfet part of that pedal,look to be a winner in the tone dept.Thanks for letting us know.Sumi:D

mrmudcat
June 1st, 2009, 08:24 AM
Yea ive been curious myself about the mosfet although I opted out of my build:D I do plan on swapping to the B.B. when I get a chance..... to hear it.:beer:

I have still only run strats so far.No buckers yet as that will be a different beast.;)

Nuff said about the built unit and finish and or the builder!!!:rockon: :beer:

duhvoodooman
June 2nd, 2009, 06:50 AM
Glad you're enjoying the OD2, PBP! The boost-overdrive combo is a nice tonal 1-2 punch. :rockon: