PDA

View Full Version : suggest a <$200 acoustic for an electric player

big-daddy-59
June 1st, 2009, 04:05 PM
Just want something I don't have to plug in for late night practice etc.
Nothing fancy,just functional with a fairly low action or at least it can be adjusted easily.

just strum
June 1st, 2009, 04:11 PM
The Washburn D10 is a popular recommendation for the price range you are referring to. You are going to have to go used for the price you are looking at, but they are plentiful so used prices should be very attractive.

Stop the Fret Players section and intoduce yourself.

BluesHowler
June 1st, 2009, 07:06 PM
I have an Epiphone PR-150 that sells for around $100. It is a very nice guitar for that price. A good friend of mine has a expensive Taylor and he was very impressed with the sound and playability of my cheap acoustic guitar.

luvmyshiner
June 1st, 2009, 07:31 PM
I second Strum's second Strummy's suggestion regarding the Washburn D10S. You should be able to pick one up used in that price range. And it has a solid wood top which will improve with age.

If you're looking for something new in that price range, look for an all laminate guitar. The sound won't improve over time, but they make great beater guitars. You can take them to the beach, on an airplane, or to parties where you won't have to worry about it if your drunk friends (like us :bravo:) trash it.

Childbride
June 1st, 2009, 09:08 PM
Big Daddy...

although they go new for circa 300 last i checked, i third the recommendation on the D10.

we were in the cayman islands a couple of years ago, with a couple of skilled guitarists [one of whom could play slide like nobody's business], who were struck by her tone and action.

we would turn her over at night at the beachside bar to listen to them jam...

and she sounds better every year that Shiner plays her.

Kazz
June 2nd, 2009, 04:22 AM
I will offer a fourth for the Washburn D10S

wingsdad
June 2nd, 2009, 07:36 AM
Yo, big-daddy-O,
I'll go along with my fellow Wash expatriates here re: the D10S. The D10 series, as Strummy points out, are their most popular seller so you quite possibly could find a good used one under 2 bills. The D10S, as shiner says, is particularly good with its solid-wood top a feature of more expensive acoustics and not easy to find at this price point.

Washburns are an excellent bang-for-the buck guitar. I've owned a few, and still have one remarkable guitar and mandolin, as well as a fine little uke bearing their little sister brand, Oscar Schmidt.

I will say, though, that laminate wood tops are easier to care for than solid tops (if you're in a particularly dry or humid climate), and while they may not 'improve' in their tone/volume with age like a solid top (if played regulalry to 'open up' the wood), they WILL remain consistent over time. That could be considered a plus by many.

If you can't find a Wash or Oscar Schmidt, you may find a used lam-top Epiphone, Ibanez, Yamaha or Takamine G-series for around 2 bills; new, they're all around the $300 - $350 range.

Whatever you find, get it with a hardshell case to protect it from calamity. It might be included in the price if used; if new, there's good cases for $50-60.

Lev
June 2nd, 2009, 09:22 AM
I will offer a fourth for the Washburn D10S

and I'll offer a fifth - another happy D10 player!

Martinguy
August 8th, 2009, 05:58 PM
Hard to beat the Washburn D10S for an affordable good quality acoustic.

Martinguy
August 8th, 2009, 05:59 PM
What ever you do, DONT get an Estaban!!! :eek:

just strum
August 8th, 2009, 06:10 PM
What ever you do, DONT get an Estaban!!! :eek:

Unless it comes with the hat:D

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/esteban.jpg

deeaa
August 10th, 2009, 09:06 AM
Just want something I don't have to plug in for late night practice etc.
Nothing fancy,just functional with a fairly low action or at least it can be adjusted easily.

I have an Ibanez Artwood that is seriously a good basic acoustic guitar IMO. No frills, matt lacquer, no pickups, no ornaments, but sounds very good and has a thinner neck than many a les paul. I sold off a pretty expensive Takamine I had before, which was a real nice one too, but this about 200 buck Ibanez is no inferior when it comes to sound and playability.

It's also such an acoustic that doesn't get too bright/jangly, but has a deeper 'wooden' tone. Live it may at first sound duller than most, but when you record it you realize there's none of that frizzy top end glitter, it's just nice fat acoustic tone all the way. And stays in tune better than the takamine did.

Here's my take on Rooster with it...although it's just a camcorder mic...maybe it gives at least some idea how it sounds like.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2Wop-fGfSY

peachhead
August 10th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Hey, nice clip, Dee. :AOK:

I would say go with the d10, except if you buy it online, make sure it gets to you in one piece....

Perfect Stranger
August 11th, 2009, 03:42 AM
Yep, in that price range go with the Washburn D10S. But play first, if possible.