PDA

View Full Version : Time flies!

luvmyshiner
June 1st, 2009, 08:16 PM
When I was in the fifth grade my parents bought me a trombone. For the next eight years my Mother made me practice that damn thing for thirty minutes every single day. That thirty minutes felt like an eternity. Don't get me wrong, it worked. I learned the trombone and I was pretty good at it by the time I graduated High School. But I hated those damn practice sessions.

The last couple of weeks, whenever CB starts walking on her treadmill, I've been sneaking off to the music room, cranking up the Blackheart, stomping on the chorus and digital delay pedals, and grabbing CB's ASAT. And suddenly, time disappears.

The next 45 minutes pass like 30 seconds. I get completely lost. Sometimes I just play through three or four songs I've memorized, sometimes I spend the entire time working on one new song. I can't explain it. I feel like I could spend eight hours just playing, without thinking about. I could forget to eat in that time. Forget to sleep. No matter how long I'm in there, I always leave feeling like I've been cheated. It was too short. It should have lasted longer.

I know it's just a hobby for me. But damn I love it. It takes me to the place I need to be at the end of the day.

piebaldpython
June 1st, 2009, 08:55 PM
Young Shiner (said in a Darth Vader-like voice :D ), methinks that the DARKSIDE (all those electric gits/amps/pedals) is calling you and that you need to make peace with that side of YOU!

luvmyshiner
June 1st, 2009, 09:21 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! You are NOT my father . . . but you taste so GOOOOD!:D

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m159/luvmyshiner/darth-vader-bock.jpg

wingsdad
June 1st, 2009, 09:30 PM
I thought this might happen to you, shiner :whatever: :D

Bur I'm surprised it took so long.:confused:

That guitar is filled with some serious mojo ;)

I'm glad she's livin' with cb & you.:)

street music
June 2nd, 2009, 04:43 AM
Shiner, that is the way I feel when I'm playing, I don't have the talent that you or CB have but I enjoy it so much.
It sure can relive the stress of the daily job and I find the more gadgets gets in the music room the better.:rockon:

bigG
June 2nd, 2009, 05:10 AM
Shiner, I agree. There's nothing like getting lost in playing. Time, does, indeed, race by! A most wonderful feeling, almost like a beautiful dream in real life...:D

However, you gigging musicians know how slowly 40 minutes can pass on a bad night (40 on, 20 off) when you're the only band, or the house band. Those can be as aggravating and disheartening as a 40 minute scrape of nails on a chalkboard! :thwap: I've been there too many times. Thank goodness that part of it is in the past for me...

just strum
June 2nd, 2009, 10:28 AM
Slowly the Dark Side is pulling you in.

The name will change to Shredding Shiner.

luvmyshiner
June 2nd, 2009, 04:33 PM
. . . I don't have the talent that you or CB have but I enjoy it so much.

Uh Street, I think you have me confused with someone else.:messedup:

Mick, I absolutely love that ASAT. I love everything about it, from the weight, to the balance, the neck, the tone. That is an absolutely beautiful guitar. No wonder she keeps seducing me.:drool:

Katastrophe
June 2nd, 2009, 09:36 PM
Awesome, Shiner!

I can remember when I was a wee lad and learning to play, I would play so late that I would fall asleep on the couch, amph on and guitar in my lap. I'd wake up and keep on playing.

It is a wonderful, frustrating, challenging and exciting journey that I think only guitar players can relate to.

just strum
June 3rd, 2009, 05:24 PM
Awesome, Shiner!

I can remember when I was a wee lad and learning to play, I would play so late that I would fall asleep on the couch, amph on and guitar in my lap. I'd wake up and keep on playing.

It doesn't require being a wee lad. I've fallen asleep sitting in a chair playing my Dot on a couple of occasions.

It is a wonderful, frustrating, challenging and exciting journey that I think only guitar players can relate to.

I couldn't agree with you more - it is my escape even though I stink, but as Rocket said - ...Regardless of who you are, your level of experience, or how much you think you might suck... NOBODY can play like YOU! Your playing is unique... and that's what makes it an art and not a logical exercise.

Childbride
June 14th, 2009, 07:14 PM
:rotflmao:

Strummy, we officially have a convert.

he can't put the ASAT down. it's been 30 min since i got off the tready and he's stomping pedals and just jamming away.

the Dark Side has Officially Infected my husband. ;)

just strum
June 14th, 2009, 07:17 PM
:rotflmao:

Strummy, we officially have a convert.

he can't put the ASAT down. it's been 30 min since i got off the tready and he's stomping pedals and just jamming away.

the Dark Side has Officially Infected my husband. ;)

I knew victory was only a note and chord away.

We're #1, we're #1, we're #1......

Childbride
June 14th, 2009, 08:11 PM
[sigh] shortlived, for now.

we moved from our movie to a break to another room, and he's on the d10s and me on the lp ultra playing margaritaville. [he's playing lyle lovett as i type]

but Strummy, tonight convinced me. he's got it in him. ;)