PDA

View Full Version : jobs in music...

ibanezjunkie
June 2nd, 2009, 02:37 PM
well, ive decided i want to link my hobby and passion...to a career in the future...

what jobs are there in the world of guitars?

street music
June 2nd, 2009, 02:54 PM
Maybe get a degree in music production or recording tech, become an agent for your upcoming bands.

just strum
June 2nd, 2009, 03:19 PM
Roadie

Robert
June 2nd, 2009, 03:19 PM
Be a rockstar! :dude:

t_ross33
June 2nd, 2009, 03:25 PM
Starving musician. All the "pros" I know hold down day jobs :-( A few who are really into gigging have to hit the pavement a lot. A couple manage to divide their time between songwriting for jingles, commercials, film and television, foly production, studio work and "regular gigs". All the dudes at the local music store are starving musicians too.

ragnarpk
June 2nd, 2009, 03:37 PM
i'm going for audio tech and from then on to rawkstar :p

but i'm also going to university..

oldguy
June 2nd, 2009, 04:22 PM
well, ive decided i want to link my hobby and passion...to a career in the future...

what jobs are there in the world of guitars?

The most popular seems to be learning to build them overseas nowadays.
Some factories build hundreds each day.....................

seriously, there are music related jobs out there, but a good education should be on your list as well..........everyone can't make it big in the music biz, whether it be rock stars, engineers, etc.

sunvalleylaw
June 2nd, 2009, 04:24 PM
Rock and Roll Band of course!! :rockon:

kGIAc3DHa6I

and, be an instructor, esp. for kids or at band camps, etc. Satriani is both a rock star and instructor I believe. Being an instructor while you pursue your own performance career can balance the income stream. If I were trying to make some money in music, and were young and talented enough to go for it in a band, I would try to balance it that way. Also, I would try to figure out how to use all the new computer based recording systems and internet to make some dough. Or just make music for soundtracks to claymation vids!

sumitomo
June 2nd, 2009, 05:40 PM
Bagel slicer!!!!! Sumi:D

Algonquin
June 2nd, 2009, 10:03 PM
First and foremost, get yourself an education. If a career in music happens... great! :AOK: , but if things are a bit dry in the industry... you've got a safety net.

Not saying what you should, or should not do... just saying it's best to cover off as many angles as possibly.

Jimi75
June 3rd, 2009, 01:11 AM
First and foremost, get yourself an education. If a career in music happens... great! :AOK: , but if things are a bit dry in the industry... you've got a safety net.

Not saying what you should, or should not do... just saying it's best to cover off as many angles as possibly.

+1

It's not that easy to get a good position in the musical branch and I speak out of a lot of experience here, as I worked several years for Fender in Germany. You can get the "lower" jobs maybe like working in the warehouse, or selling guitars in a shop, but in the long term this will not provide good ground for let us say founding a family, building a house, going on holiday. I know a lot of guys still working in the shops, and they all complain, make both ends meet. The older you get the tougher it becomes. First of all you should make up your mind what your strength is. Are you technically talented, are you a business man, are you into sound...etc! Being a sound man must not automatically satisfy you as being a guitar player. Give yourself some time and speak to poeple you can trust who will give you wise advice! If you want to get a good position at a bigger company like for e.g. Line6, Fender and so on, get the best education you can first. I did so and went besides my first job to universitiy to sutdy economics and several languages. I have applied three times for a job at Fender (initiatively) with no positive result. Truth is that everybody thinks that this is a dreamjob and so they have applications on their desks by doctors, engineers, highly qualified poeple who have unfortunately a completely false believe of what these music companies have to offer. I have waited very long time and one day there was a job available. It was in the export department and my luck was speaking 5 languages and having studied economics. Work didn't start with meeting stars and musicians, it started being a tough a** business, travelling throughout mostly Eastern Europe and making deals, clearing customs, clarifying dicumantation for delivering instruments. This lasted 2 years until I became more involved in artist relation and only then it started being an awesome job for a super low salary!!!
Please bear all this in mind and stop dreaming about a music world that in fact is a tough, hard, cold, sometimes emotionless world, full of broken characters. The more you have to do with music part of your job, the more you will feel your interrest in guitars decrease. I was happy to get back to normal after many years and it took some time to be able to go to music shops with a free mind and to enjoy music again!
After all these years, I would suggest that you go watching for jobs in them music industrie where you give something to poeple, like for e.g. music teacher, music scientist, music therapist, because here you get results in form of human reactions. A teacher at school once said to me that on e should not sacrifice ones passion for a job, because the passion will never be the same again. That is the reason why I denied job offers from Line6 and Gibson recently.

Good luck!
:AOK:

street music
June 3rd, 2009, 04:27 AM
Jimi, thanks for your input, experience is the best spoken word in real life situations and brother it sounds like you have seen both ends of it. EDUCATION being the key word.

luvmyshiner
June 3rd, 2009, 07:13 AM
Very well put Jimi.

ibanezjunkie
June 4th, 2009, 09:06 AM
hmm, well im doing GCSEs (and passing...well...doing well) in

History
electronics
resistant materials
double science
AQA maths
AQA English
RE Short course

i wish id taken GCSE music, instead of one of my three options (electronics, resistant materials, history) but i wouldnt have been able to choose which one to replace with music.

anyway, im pretty sure ill do well enough in year 10/11 (so, age 15/16) to get into 6th form and college, or i could skimp on 6th form and go straight into a college course..

are there any courses i could consider in college (obviously, UK based collages) that would help me be a guitar instructor

(i do actually teach people guitar...but its because im friends with them...not to make money)

Tibernius
June 4th, 2009, 10:15 AM
are there any courses i could consider in college (obviously, UK based collages) that would help me be a guitar instructor

You're looking at a National Diploma in Music, then a Degree in Music. I'm not sure if you need another qualification after those in order to teach though.