PDA

View Full Version : Voice Ranges

pes_laul
June 2nd, 2009, 08:08 PM
Not sure how many people are singers on TheFret but I was just curious about what your guys' ranges are.

I am either a high baritone (2nd bari I think) or a low Tenor (1rst I think) my choir director doesn't know.

My range is a low D to a High G flat in my chest voice

and in my head voice (80's hair metal voice) its all the way up to a high D.

marnold
June 2nd, 2009, 08:22 PM
Before I hit puberty, my voice was high and squeaky. Afterwards, I was/am a second bass. Go figure. Not exactly conducive to doing Rob Halford imitations.

luvmyshiner
June 2nd, 2009, 08:27 PM
I feel very comfortable with my range as long as the song only has two notes . . . and for the guitar I like songs that only have two chords . . . one chord is preferable.:cry:

bigoldron
June 2nd, 2009, 08:28 PM
Average bass to baritone - can sometimes hit E below the bass clef and can go to an occasional E above middle C.

vroomery
June 2nd, 2009, 09:42 PM
Pes...you've got your names for the voices mixed up. There really isn't a high baritone unless you want to call it a low tenor. It's Low Bass (Bass 2), Baritone (Bass 1), Low Tenor (Tenor 2), High Tenor (Tenor 1) and Really High Tenor (Counter Tenor or Soprano Tenor).

According to the range you posted you are really a Baritone (Bass 1). You also must remember that head voice and falsetto are very different. An easy way to differentiate is that with your head voice you can put your hand on top of your head and feel a good bit of vibration, but in falsetto you will feel less vibration and your sound will be very airy and breathy. Ideally a good singer can mix their chest and head voice so that they do not experience any substantial breaks. My big break for instance is in the C#-D# range, but my head voice is comfortable up through about B and my chest voice is comfortable down to about E. If you can work on mixing those voices through vocal exercises you will feel much more comfortable up higher without feeling like your head is going to pop off.

pes_laul
June 3rd, 2009, 03:05 PM
Pes...you've got your names for the voices mixed up. There really isn't a high baritone unless you want to call it a low tenor. It's Low Bass (Bass 2), Baritone (Bass 1), Low Tenor (Tenor 2), High Tenor (Tenor 1) and Really High Tenor (Counter Tenor or Soprano Tenor).

According to the range you posted you are really a Baritone (Bass 1). You also must remember that head voice and falsetto are very different. An easy way to differentiate is that with your head voice you can put your hand on top of your head and feel a good bit of vibration, but in falsetto you will feel less vibration and your sound will be very airy and breathy. Ideally a good singer can mix their chest and head voice so that they do not experience any substantial breaks. My big break for instance is in the C#-D# range, but my head voice is comfortable up through about B and my chest voice is comfortable down to about E. If you can work on mixing those voices through vocal exercises you will feel much more comfortable up higher without feeling like your head is going to pop off.
hmm I always thought there was first and second and first baritones. I'm fairly comfortable with my head voice and my chest voice I usually dont break much. but my falsetto needs work.

street music
June 3rd, 2009, 03:19 PM
I don't know of anyone who is comfortable with my voice:rotflmao:
I'm like Shiner in that one chord is great- 2 chords , good, 3 chords tough but I'll play along.

marnold
June 3rd, 2009, 07:00 PM
Who was it that posted elsewhere something to this effect: "I sound best as a tenor: ten or eleven miles away."

pes_laul
June 3rd, 2009, 08:20 PM
Who was it that posted elsewhere something to this effect: "I sound best as a tenor: ten or eleven miles away."
haha thats awesome:bravo:

Childbride
June 3rd, 2009, 08:32 PM

that was Kat. :)