PDA

View Full Version : Time to build a new one...

cacti
June 2nd, 2009, 11:20 PM
I have a Carlo Robelli Strat look-a-like sitting around from a couple of years ago which I got free with the purchase of a dope amp.

I dont play it cause im hooked on my Tele, but had the bright idea to gut the sucker, and pretty much build myself a custom guit. I am looking to replace pretty much everything (pickups, bridge, tuning machines, hardware, software, and possibly even the neck) cause I gotta say, they dont give them out free for nothing - you get what you pay for. The only thing that I was hoping to keep from it is the body, which is black. The idea is to hook the guy up with 3 single coils (type TBD) but with black covers, black pickguard, black everything that can be black - you get the point. Its routed for a 3 single coil setup, but im not sure if the wood is any good, considering it was valued at something like $100.

Any thoughts as to whether I should bother using the body and replacing everything else? Will it matter all that much that I use this body rather than get a new custom body or from some place else? I know that different woods give you different tones etc, but this is my first go around at a build / customization and I would like to make it pretty nice (im willing to spend some cash to make this a sweet pup.)

Thoughts?

Rock on peoples :rockon:

markb
June 2nd, 2009, 11:23 PM
If it's a plywood body I wouldn't bother. Scrape some paint off in the pickup routes and you'll have some idea of what it's made of.