PDA

View Full Version : Metal Primer

marnold
June 5th, 2009, 08:59 AM
After posting in the "Now Playing Thread" I was thinking of what metal albums I would recommend to someone who is new to the genre as defining "metal" for me. I kept it to one album per artist (which wasn't easy in a couple of cases) but this is what I came up with. I'm sure I forgot something/someone obvious. In no particular order:

Judas Priest "British Steel"
Iron Maiden "Powerslave"
Dokken "Tooth and Nail"
Metallica "Ride the Lightning"
Yngwie J. Malmsteen's Rising Force "Trilogy"
Black Sabbath "Paranoid"
Dio "Holy Diver"

I'd probably throw a Joey Belladonna-era Anthrax album in there too, but I can't decide which one. I'd include them because they're one of the more important thrash bands. Their version of "Bring the Noise" with Public Enemy is particularly notable.

The reality is that you could go with just about any Priest album (except "Turbo") or any Maiden album, although I am not a particular fan of the Paul Di'Anno Maiden albums. It's Bruce Dickinson or nothing for me. As far as Metallica goes, it was close between "Ride the Lightning" and "Master of Puppets." The former got the nod for personal reasons--mainly because it's one of the first metal albums I ever heard. I considered putting Def Leppard's "High 'n' Dry" in there as a more pop-metal thing, but I can't bring myself to call them a metal band. That's a good album nevertheless.

Rocket
June 5th, 2009, 09:20 AM
http://www.rosebrand.com/images/product_320x320/Tough-N-White-Metal-Primer.jpg

duhvoodooman
June 5th, 2009, 10:43 AM
http://www.rosebrand.com/images/product_320x320/Tough-N-White-Metal-Primer.jpg
LOL! Most of those guys are white, but I'm not sure how tough they really are!

msteeln
June 5th, 2009, 03:40 PM
I'm not sure how tough they really are!Mess with Tony Iommi and your question will be painfully answered!

Black Sabbath. Period.

SuperSwede
June 6th, 2009, 12:51 AM
Their version of "Bring the Noise" with Public Enemy is particularly notable.

I love that one too, wasnt there a entire album with metal vs rap bands? iirc Helmet did one of the tracks.

ibanezjunkie
June 8th, 2009, 09:22 AM
Metallica - The black Album would be in my first 5 choices, along with Metal health (quite riot) and systematic Chaos (dream theater)

tunghaichuan
June 8th, 2009, 09:30 AM
For modern metal, I'd add Opeth's Blackwater Park.

tung