PDA

View Full Version : Pedal Chain/Amp Effects Loop Switching?

duhvoodooman
June 5th, 2009, 11:52 AM
I just wondered if any of you have ever wanted to do what I have in mind, and if so, how did you go about it?

Here's the deal--There are certain effects that work best in front of a guitar amplifier's preamp stage (e.g. most distortion-based effects), and others (notably modulation and time-based effects, like chorus, delay and reverb) that work best after the preamp. Indeed, that's exactly why many amps have an effects loop after the preamp.

And, as I would expect is the case for many of you, I own amps with effects loops and without them. I have a big old pedal chain that I have rigged up to be able to plug into any of my amps. The distortion-based effects are at the front of the pedal chain (most of them in the noise reduction loop of a Boss NS2), with the time-based effects behind them.

What I would like to be able to do is to insert a switching device between the distortion effects and the time based effects so that I can easily switch between the following two signal flow configurations without changing a bunch of cables:

For an amp with no effects loop:

guitar --> distortion effects --> time-based effects --> amp input

For an amp with an effects loop:

guitar --> distortion effects --> amp input --> effects loop send --> time-based effects --> effects loop return

I'm sure I'm not the only player who's ever wanted to do this, but I haven't come across such a switching device before. Does any such thing exist? I've come up with a design to do what I want--basically a 6-jack box and a 3PDT stompswitch--but I'm wondering if somebody already makes these things.

markb
June 5th, 2009, 03:36 PM
www.loop-master.com

I haven't seen exactly what you describe but contact the guy and discuss your requirements. He has all the metal working stuff already.