PDA

View Full Version : decisions!! Laney, Blackheart or Orange??

ibanezjunkie
June 6th, 2009, 05:30 AM
well, for about the same price, i can get either a Laney VC15-110 or a Tiny terror, or i can skimp and get a blackheart?

Laney VC15-110 = £280ish + P&P

Orange Tiny Terror = £299 from my local store

Blackheart BH15H = £199 + P&P

which is best?

oldguy
June 6th, 2009, 07:36 AM
The Orange.

bigG
June 6th, 2009, 07:54 AM
Everybody and his brother is on abt the Orange. Probably can't lose w that.

Although my local Peavey/Ibanez dealer carries Laney. I've heard a Laney half stack which sounded awesome, but not heard the VC15-110. I'd probably seriously consider this one, sight unheard. :D

Don't care much for the Blackhearts personally, but they sell like hotcakes.

I'd consider the Orange or Laney - and personally go w the Laney. Something different and a top-notch company, from what I'm told. :rockon:

just strum
June 6th, 2009, 07:57 AM
Get all three.

oldguy
June 6th, 2009, 08:17 AM
I wuz gonna say that, but he asked what was best...............now I can say "Orange you glad you got the best one?"..............................

marnold
June 6th, 2009, 08:38 AM
To do you mean tone, construction, or what? I think you've just got to try them for yourself. As I mentioned elsewhere I'd also check out the British-made Blackstar amphs. Their HT-5 series would fit in your price range. It's got enough gain on tap for all but the most brutal [insert umlauts here] metal styles.

SuperSwede
June 6th, 2009, 08:45 AM
The Laney VC15 sounds A LOT like the VOX AC15, awesome little amp with a lot of character!

The Tiny Terror sounds awesome as well, but I cannot comment on the Blackheart since I havent tried that one myself.

ibanezjunkie
June 6th, 2009, 10:30 AM
hmm i went to machinehead today and spent 45 minutes playing through an Orange, then a used Laney LC15r

the VC15-110 was out of stock :(

i like the gain on the orange, i think i might have ot get me one of those

but a used Laney LC15r for £175?

just strum
June 6th, 2009, 10:50 AM
hmm i went to machinehead today and spent 45 minutes playing through an Orange, then a used Laney LC15r

the VC15-110 was out of stock :(

i like the gain on the orange, i think i might have ot get me one of those

but a used Laney LC15r for £175?

Did you take the guitar that you play the most with you when you checked them out?

SuperSwede
June 6th, 2009, 11:46 AM
The LC doesnt sound anything like the VC, but sounds good in its own right.

sumitomo
June 6th, 2009, 12:59 PM
With the music you like to play get the Orange,They must be good they have sold over 30000 units and the all important mods are there for it.Sumi:D

ibanezjunkie
June 6th, 2009, 02:12 PM
i usually play a stock RG420EG, which i bought from the store i was in, so i just used the exact same guitar i have...but the store's one not mine.

i was thinking the blackheart might be like, the best value?

Tibernius
June 6th, 2009, 02:29 PM
i was thinking the blackheart might be like, the best value?

Not for Metal. The Tiny Terror wins for that every time. May cost a bit more but, imo, it sounds better.

9MpZoWsFlJQ

ibanezjunkie
June 6th, 2009, 02:38 PM
hey, whadda you guys think of 'Sound City' amps?

ive never heard of these, what you think of this one?

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/73899

bigG
June 6th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Sound City rings a bell w me, but can't remember why or when...

Maybe it was the name of a music store I used to frequent...?

Dude, if money's tight, go w the Blackheart and throw a metal pedal in front of it! If not, buy the Orange. I don't think the Laney will do metal w/o a pedal, but why spend more $ when the Blackheart + pedal w do the job!

ibanezjunkie
June 6th, 2009, 03:13 PM
good point...the blackheart was my original plan anyway

then i stumbled upon the tiny terror and all the laneys and AHH GAS!!!

but anyway i think ill go for the blackheart, uunless i find a VC15 used for £200 before i buy the handsome devil.

oldguy
June 6th, 2009, 03:29 PM
Buy what you want, but the Orange is best................if you skimp on cash and buy other, you'll always regret it, and you'll always wish you hadn't..........:pancake:

markb
June 6th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Sound City rings a bell w me, but can't remember why or when...

Maybe it was the name of a music store I used to frequent...?

Dude, if money's tight, go w the Blackheart and throw a metal pedal in front of it! If not, buy the Orange. I don't think the Laney will do metal w/o a pedal, but why spend more $ when the Blackheart + pedal w do the job!

A bit of british amp history. Sound City was a Dallas-Arbiter brand. Dave Reeves of Hiwatt fame was involved in their design but they were built to a price even in the late 60s. The Sound City L100s that Pete Townshend used were custom "Reeves" models and nothing like the production amps.

The original production Sound City amps back in the day weren't very good but then nor were the original Oranges. The modern Orange "reissues" are much better, I don't know about the new Sound City amps.

As for the Laneys, the VC15 is a great little amp but is again voiced toward blues and classic rock. The LC15 has more gain but is of lower build quality than the VC. The VC15 also comes with an excellent speaker, no need for an upgrade.

ibanezjunkie
June 6th, 2009, 03:39 PM
hmm, well i know i love my blackheart, and ive only ever heard good things about them, plus it means i dont have to wait aslong to get it, because its £100 cheaper...

im pretty sure ill get the blackheart, unless i find a VC15-110 for the same price as the BH15H =]

oldguy
June 6th, 2009, 04:27 PM
Buy it if you want, but you started this thread asking which one was best, and it's the Orange.
The first time you set up onstage beside an Orange player, you'll wish you had an Orange, too.:poke:

markb
June 6th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Buy it if you want, but you started this thread asking which one was best, and it's the Orange.
The first time you set up onstage beside an Orange player, you'll wish you had an Orange, too.:poke:

Unless it happened in 1979 ;)

just strum
June 6th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Let me ask this - based on your list of existing amps, what would any of these three give you that you don't already have? I'm not an amp (amph) expert, so the question is serious.

I don't see the need for an amp if money is scarce.

TS808
June 6th, 2009, 07:24 PM
I can't comment on the Laney or Orange, as I've never played through one. I can however comment on the Blackheart Handsome Devil as I've owned one for a while now.

The Blackheart is a well built, great sounding, inexpensive amp...what more can you want.

I've been using my Blackheart through a 212 cab and it sounds just as good as a number of the mass produced amps out there. I didn't like the tone from the Blackheart 1x12 cabs as the speakers were a little too bright for me, but through a 212 cab, it sounds very full with a very responsive EQ.

You're not going to get alot of gain out of the Blackheart though...the Handsome Devil is more suited for blues, classic rock and can deliver some good cleans too. If you want a heavier distortion you will need a pedal. The Blackheart does however, take pedals very well.

ibanezjunkie
June 7th, 2009, 06:14 AM
hmm, does the blackheart get enough gain for say, sex pistols, blink 182 sort of sound?
i just juiced up my BH5H to max volume for the first time and i love it.

oldguy
June 7th, 2009, 06:32 AM
Unless it happened in 1979 ;)

That's so very true.............:D
But that was then, this is now, as they say!:)

oldguy
June 7th, 2009, 06:33 AM
hmm, does the blackheart get enough gain for say, sex pistols, blink 182 sort of sound?

Nah, you're gonna want to get the Orange.

TS808
June 7th, 2009, 06:37 AM

The Blackheart gives you more of a classic, bluesy overdrive....not a high gain monster.

I've seen some clips of the Vox Night Train too, and that seems to have more gain than the Blackheart.

ibanezjunkie
June 7th, 2009, 06:43 AM
well, heres our UK pricing...

Blackheart HD - £199
Orange TT - £299
Night Train - £350

i think id rather get the blackheart, and use the rest of the cash i would spend on a Vox or ORange to get a nice valve driver.

kiteman
June 8th, 2009, 06:30 AM
You won't be disappointed with a Handsome Devil. :)

mrmudcat
June 8th, 2009, 12:07 PM
tiny terror all the way!!!

Just me but if I got a blackheart anything id rip off that stupid emo looking emblem:thwap: I wont comment on sound as I dont own one.The tt ive heard and love.The vox looks way cool cant wait to hear it in shop:rockon:

This is my opinion............

ibanezjunkie
June 8th, 2009, 03:23 PM
i hate the bloody emblem, but the amp look sort of empty without it, so i left it on my little giant.

the tiny terror looks funky as, and sounds it too, hmm im stuck now, ill see whats on offer when i get cash together.

markb
June 8th, 2009, 03:48 PM
How much is a VOX Night Train?

mrmudcat
June 8th, 2009, 08:21 PM
Mark not sure if ya were asking me or ibez but in the states they are under $500,The T.T. is about that too or slightly under:beer:

markb
June 8th, 2009, 10:10 PM
Mark not sure if ya were asking me or ibez but in the states they are under $500,The T.T. is about that too or slightly under:beer:

Sorry for the lack of clarity. I was asking IJ about prices in the old country, as it happens :o

ibanezjunkie
June 9th, 2009, 10:31 AM
well.

in machinehead, which you may or may not of heard of (the first dealer to stock blackstar products) the prices are about this:

Orange TT: £299
VOX Night Train: £350
Laney LC15: £245
Laney VC15-110: £280

oldguy
June 9th, 2009, 03:45 PM
At those prices, I'd go for the Orange, for sure!:AOK: