PDA

View Full Version : SRV - Gone Home

sunvalleylaw
June 6th, 2009, 09:28 AM
I thought I was pretty familiar with the SRV catelog, but did not specifically take note of this one. I particularly like Stevie's jazzier efforts. I came across this one while listening to Pandora. Felt good on a rainy Saturday Morning. Enjoy!

VOAglJLLoW8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOAglJLLoW8

bigG
June 6th, 2009, 09:42 AM
Great stuff, svl! Sounds like a tribute to Jimmy Smith and Kenny Burrell.

Jimmy was the king of the Hammond B3 and Kenny one of the great jazz guitarists! They often recorded together (Kenny was part of his quartet intermittently).

Try "Home Cookin' " by The Incredible Jimmy Smith on CD as a great example!

BTW, it's rainin' here in the good ol' Sunshine State, too, man. Has been for weeks. Man you ain't heard thunderboomers 'til you've heard a Florida thunderboomer! Scares the pants off of even the heartiest of men! :D

sunvalleylaw
June 6th, 2009, 09:43 AM
Then this one (a studio version) came up in a song or two, awesome! I like how Pandora is thinking today!

gMvcYPcUz94&feature=PlayList&p=106B20B36408EA6A&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=11
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMvcYPcUz94&feature=PlayList&p=106B20B36408EA6A&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=11

P.S. The station started with "Come when I call" by John Mayer, and I added in Riviera Paradise, by SRV to "add variety". I started getting a lot of old school traditional blues guys that I was glad to be turned on to, then got these last ones recently. Good tool to learn more about music I think.

sunvalleylaw
June 6th, 2009, 09:46 AM
Great stuff, svl! Sounds like a tribute to Jimmy Smith and Kenny Burrell.

Jimmy was the king of the Hammond B3 and Kenny one of the great jazz guitarists! They often recorded together (Kenny was part of his quartet intermittently).

Try "Home Cookin' " by The Incredible Jimmy Smith on CD as a great example!

BTW, it's rainin' here in the good ol' Sunshine State, too, man. Has been for weeks. Man you ain't heard thunderboomers 'til you've heard a Florida thunderboomer! Scares the pants off of even the heartiest of men! :D

Thanks and glad you enjoyed it BigG! We had some thunderclappers right over our heads on thursday night that shook buildings and even blew a window out of a buddy's apartment he has over his garage. Scared his tenant pretty badly I think! Not sure where the pants landed. ;)

bigG
June 6th, 2009, 09:53 AM
Man, those old jazz cats from 50+ years ago were some fantastic players!

What we call "shredding" today, was done by them as standard repertoire. All over the neck w 32nd and 64th note runs. Some of the newer jazz cats are carrying on the tradition - Pat Metheney comes to mind.

There's nuthin new under the sun, man...er, rain. It's all been done before. :D

sunvalleylaw
June 6th, 2009, 10:44 AM
And then this one came on:

4d38xOxzjZc

Here is the version that came on: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YibuFzqM6GU&feature=related

All sorts of stuff I never paid attention to before.

bigG
June 6th, 2009, 11:15 AM
svl, I will say this for MP3s: they certainly are a good way to get turned on to new music! But, once I find something I like, I want to be able to go to a store and buy the CD!

That's a great, OLD clip! Thanx for posting it. I saw The Jeff Beck Group at Thee Image in Miami around the time Beck-ola or Truth came out. Don't remember the exact year...Rod the Mod on vocals, Jeff on git, Ronnie Wood on bass, and, I think it was Mick Waller on drums, if memory serves...

What a GREAT show that was! I've followed Beck ever since, although I didn't care much for his move into fusion. I guess that had to make up a part of the trip that lead him to where he is today...? Still jazz-fusion, I guess, but very, very impressive!

sumitomo
June 6th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Man when I looked at this post Ronnie Earls Healing Time was playing on my music box.I really like Earls soulful playing and to see all his sobriety keyrings hanging off his strat was cool cause I know he has had a heck of a ride fighting off the cocaine,booze addiction.Good to see a winner in action.Sumi:D