PDA

View Full Version : Replacement speaker for the Vox ADxxVT?

TS808
August 9th, 2006, 06:54 PM
Just curious, I've seen alot of people suggest swapping out the speakers from the Vox AD30VT, AD50VT, and AD100VT. The hands down winner seems to be the Celestion G12 "Neodog" Century. Just for the heck of it, I had considered doing this, until I saw they cost about $200 each. After putting two of those in an AD100VT, I might as well have sprung for the AD120VTX.

Has anyone else tried different speakers with the Vox Valvetronix amps? If so, what did you use?

I'm kind of pondering the idea right now, but like I said, really don't want to spring for $200 speakers.

Cranium
August 9th, 2006, 07:12 PM
I heard Weber speakers are nice but I never heard them in person though , why not check those out?

duhvoodooman
August 9th, 2006, 07:18 PM
I put a Celestion G10 Vintage in my AD30VT, as chronicled HERE (http://duhvoodooman.com/AD30VT/spkr_swap.htm), with excellent results. Smoothed out the harsh highs and firmed up the flabby bottom of the stock speaker. I've read very satisfied reviews from several Valvetronix owners who put the 12" version of the same speaker, the G12 Vintage 30, in their AD50VT and AD100VT amps. They can be had for $90 HERE (http://www.svvintageamps.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=109). They sell another excellent Celestion 12" speaker, the G12M Greenback, for $85. And, of course, there are other good 12" speakers to be had from Weber, Jensen, Eminence, etc. without paying an arm & a leg.

TS808
August 13th, 2006, 06:36 AM
I put a Celestion G10 Vintage in my AD30VT, as chronicled HERE (http://duhvoodooman.com/AD30VT/spkr_swap.htm), with excellent results. Smoothed out the harsh highs and firmed up the flabby bottom of the stock speaker. I've read very satisfied reviews from several Valvetronix owners who put the 12" version of the same speaker, the G12 Vintage 30, in their AD50VT and AD100VT amps. They can be had for $90 HERE (http://www.svvintageamps.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=109). They sell another excellent Celestion 12" speaker, the G12M Greenback, for $85. And, of course, there are other good 12" speakers to be had from Weber, Jensen, Eminence, etc. without paying an arm & a leg.

The disadvantage of course is not being able to hear the new speaker before hand, but I may go for the V30. I know alot of Line 6 owners have tried the Eminence Screaming Eagle in their Flextones with very good results. I might go for the V30 though....will keep you all posted.

Hogfullofblues
October 7th, 2006, 12:35 PM
Just thought I would pass along this info from a post I found some time back, but can't remember where. At any rate, this AD30VT owner reported:

Jensen C10Q

$40.00 only and great improvement, much cheaper than Celestion.

Hope this helps,
Hog

tot_Ou_tard
October 7th, 2006, 12:48 PM
I've got the same G10's in mine that Vood has. It certainly improved the beast.

Robert
October 7th, 2006, 12:53 PM
Or do what I did, get a good cabinet. The combo cabinet is not very good in the Vox ADxxVT amps, in my opinion.

warren0728
October 7th, 2006, 12:58 PM
some days i like my ad30vt and some days i hate it....thinking about a new speaker or maybe selling it and getting something else. Maybe a crate powerblock or whatever it is called and a seperate cab....i'm pretty set in the guitar department unless a nice Gibson Les Paul Standard burst comes along (players guitar not collectors guitar) to go along with my 98 gibson lp special....

so it's amps and pedals i be looking at now matey!!

ww

Cranium
October 7th, 2006, 02:45 PM
DVM, how can you put the G12M "Greenback" in the AD50VT if its rated at 25w, wouldn't the 50w amp blow the speaker?

Mark
October 7th, 2006, 07:27 PM
Another vote for the C-10 Q I put it in my Tweed Deluxe that I just built and it is a very nicely voiced speaker right out of the box. I have compared it to the Weber Sig 12 Alnico and like the C-10 better at this point. In all fairness I still need to break in the Weber as I hear they do need a good break-in to get the full quality out of them.