PDA

View Full Version : Review..what would a newbie think?

oldguy
June 6th, 2009, 12:42 PM
Here's a line from an amph review in this month's issue of a guitar magazine.

"........it's not a creamy or liquid tone....we're talking greasy, swarthy, high cholesterol gain, dripping with juicy overtones."

I'm all for desciptive adjectives and adverbs when descibing gear.........but....how helpful would it be for a beginner looking for a new amplifier?:confused:

I see creamy, liquid, greasy, dripping, and juicy in one sentence and have no idea what sound this review is trying to descibe, or if he's even talking about an amph, a bad restaraunt, or an adult film! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

sunvalleylaw
June 6th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Hmm, not so helpful to me. I get what warm, scooped, lots of head room, bright, and terms like that mean, though of course each person defines those terms slightly differently. I guess I would take the above description as "dirty", but what do I know. :)

luvmyshiner
June 6th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Don't know what it means, but it's making me hungry (and horny)!:drool:

sunvalleylaw
June 6th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Don't know what it means, but it's making me hungry (and horny)!:drool:

Ok, that is officially an "overshare" Less information next time please. ;) :rotflmao:

bigG
June 6th, 2009, 03:12 PM
It's a dod eat dog world out there. Marketing depts are scouring every dictionary and thesaurus they can find to "outdo" the competition...my 2 cents :whatever:

oldguy
June 6th, 2009, 03:26 PM
It's a dod eat dog world out there. Marketing depts are scouring every dictionary and thesaurus they can find to "outdo" the competition...my 2 cents :whatever:

My dod eats batteries, but not dogs..........:D :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

ibanezjunkie
June 6th, 2009, 03:27 PM
sounds like hes talking about the hard rock cafe in toronto.

tot_Ou_tard
June 6th, 2009, 04:47 PM
I dunno, the descriptions make sense to me.

oldguy
June 6th, 2009, 04:57 PM
I dunno, the descriptions make sense to me.

Finally! Someone who understands the difference!
What would be an amp you'd hear as "creamy and liquid", and what would be one you'd consider "greasy, dripping with juicy overtones" amp?
I want to find a youtube of each of these descriptions to help me decide on my next amp!!!!!

tot_Ou_tard
June 6th, 2009, 05:04 PM
Finally! Someone who understands the difference!
What would be an amp you'd hear as "creamy and liquid", and what would be one you'd consider "greasy, dripping with juicy overtones" amp?
I want to find a youtube of each of these descriptions to help me decide on my next amp!!!!!
Isn't Dumble about being creamy & smooth?

For "greasy, swarthy, high cholesterol gain, dripping with juicy overtones"
I'd think an old school class A amp cranked until it's about to fall apart. A Swart might be a modern equivalent. I've heard descriptions of brownface
Fenders & old Gibson amps that might fit the bill.

Robert
June 6th, 2009, 05:16 PM
I never quite could figure out the reasoning behind terms like "brown sound" or "woman tone", but I have decided my Mack amp has a "green with pink polkadots sound", and this creates the "middle-aged but youthful looking man tone". :)

luvmyshiner
June 6th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Ok, that is officially an "overshare" Less information next time please. ;) :rotflmao:

Sorry Steve. I realize in retrospect the post was redundant. Just assume every time I post that I'm hungry (and horny), and I'll tell you when I'm not.:D

oldguy
June 6th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Isn't Dumble about being creamy & smooth?

For "greasy, swarthy, high cholesterol gain, dripping with juicy overtones"
I'd think an old school class A amp cranked until it's about to fall apart. A Swart might be a modern equivalent. I've heard descriptions of brownface
Fenders & old Gibson amps that might fit the bill.

I dunno......that's why I'm asking. After all, "cream" is mostly fat, and fat is grease. Both are high cholesterol, as is the juicy juice from a greasy steak.
The steak goes down easy "smooth" w/ a cold beer.............maybe I really want a smooth "beery" amp!:confused:

sunvalleylaw
June 6th, 2009, 06:14 PM
:beer: Understood Shiner, I was already presuming that.

oldguy
June 6th, 2009, 06:17 PM
Sorry Steve. I realize in retrospect the post was redundant. Just assume every time I post that I'm hungry (and horny), and I'll tell you when I'm not.:D

I just assumed every time you posted you were creamy, smooth, greasy, juicy, and ready for another cold one!
(correct me if I'm wrong, I hate for people to pigeonhole me, and I'd never want to do that to someone else!):D :D :D

tot_Ou_tard
June 6th, 2009, 06:34 PM
I dunno......that's why I'm asking. After all, "cream" is mostly fat, and fat is grease.

Ahhh, but there's a difference between a milkshake & greasy ribs. That's what we are talking about.

just strum
June 6th, 2009, 06:39 PM
Something tells me that portions of this thread will be referenced in the future - sort of like amph.

oldguy
June 6th, 2009, 07:06 PM
Ahhh, but there's a difference between a milkshake & greasy ribs. That's what we are talking about.

True, but a milkshake isn't a creamshake, and it's cold. When an amph's biased cold it supposedly doesn't sound good. Greasy ribs taste good, but don't neccesarily sound good. So what we're talking about is sound, not taste. Some people's taste is all in their mouth, and fat or grease dulls the taste buds, which may explain why comparing amphs using adjectives normally reserved for foods/drinks can be confusing. It would also depend on what type ribs one was eating........... pork and beef ribs are commonly eaten, but baby seal ribs would require one to be biased differently I would imagine, as would raw seal heart.
E.G.
"The overdrive has the raw, bloody, juicy, oozing tone, warm yet furry, with enough heart to satisfy the purist who longs for the sound of days gone by."

Spudman
June 6th, 2009, 10:05 PM
What ever happened to the 'meat and potatoes' amphs? And what about fried and toasted amphs? Are those any good? :confused:

Jimi75
June 9th, 2009, 05:27 AM
Oh dear, don't wanna know about the associations a newie could have while reading this review.

I think a newbie develops a feel for "our" vocabulary. It wasn't any different when I started playing and in some kind of way it was adventurous hearing the big guys talk about this and that in the shops and you were like "what?", but then you kind of learned to understand. Well, we musicians are really a special breed, hard for outsiders to understand our kauderwelsh (German word for chaotic language)!