PDA

View Full Version : My GC visit

Spudman
June 6th, 2009, 08:47 PM
I had to go out of town today so I stopped into the Guitar Center in Salt Lake City ON A SATURDAY! It was actually pretty mellow. I could play whatever I wanted with no hassles. In fact a salesman never talked to me until I talked to one first and then I just asked him about the Dimarzio pickups that he'd put in this Strat a guy was trying out. They sounded awesome. They were the Ceramic Dimarzio twin rail and alnico hot wound twin rail pickups. Sweet!

When that guy saddled up next to me at the Line 6 Spider amps to try the guitar I suggested to let me play some rhythm while he checked out the pickups. That was fun and I made a new buddy. Then I heard this delicious Strat sound coming from across the room so I had to check that out. It was that Fender light blue 60's Strat with the Custom Shop pickups and 2 post tremolo. What a great sound. I think Lev has the same guitar. It wasn't set up very well but it sure sounded great.

I took some money in - but you know I need another guitar like a hole in the head. I did find 2 that really got my interest. The first was a Dean Hardtail and the other was the Schecter Tempest. Both played and sounded superb with first place going to the Tempest but the Dean weighed a little less so for long gigs it would get first place. The Tempest had the better sounds though. Coming in with an Honorable Mention was the Epiphone Les Paul Ultra. It played super sweet but didn't have the coil tap features of the other two guitars. The top was divine though. Wouldn't you know the guitars I liked best were rather pricey.

I tried out a lot of stuff some of which I can't even remember the name of.

So which guitar did I come home with?

sunvalleylaw
June 6th, 2009, 09:27 PM
The blue strat like Lev. You are a strataholic!

Robert
June 6th, 2009, 10:35 PM
The blue strat like Lev. You are a strataholic!

+1

SuperSwede
June 7th, 2009, 12:22 AM
Hmm I´m really not sure, you have a LOT of strats.. I think you took home something different, the Schecter perhaps?

Lev
June 7th, 2009, 02:35 AM
I think Lev has the same guitar. It wasn't set up very well but it sure sounded great.

So which guitar did I come home with?

Something tells me you know how to setup a strat nicely Spud. It is a great sounding guitar.

Monkus
June 7th, 2009, 05:55 AM
the ultra has my vote !

Kazz
June 7th, 2009, 06:00 AM
I'm going the easy route....the delicious blue strat.

oldguy
June 7th, 2009, 06:01 AM
My guess would be the Strat also.

just strum
June 7th, 2009, 06:06 AM
Is this a take on the unpackaging (strip) tease we experienced a while back. If so, I am not throwing dollars up on the stage.

street music
June 7th, 2009, 06:12 AM
I would say you finally picked up a great sounding acoustic-electric guitar.

Katastrophe
June 7th, 2009, 07:23 AM
The Dean Hardtail.

My reasoning:

It looks like the Jet guitar that you've been drooling over.

It really got your attention, along with the Schecter.

While the Schecter played better, the Dean "would get the nod" for gigs, because of lighter weight.

I'm probably wrong, though, and you ended up with the Strat.:D

Spudman
June 7th, 2009, 11:21 AM
I'll come clean now. This is what I got.

SuperSwede
June 7th, 2009, 11:31 AM
I'll come clean now. This is what I got.

Ehrm.. none?

Spudman
June 7th, 2009, 12:54 PM
Ehrm.. none?
Ding ding ding. You are correct.

I simply couldn't find anything that was significantly better than what I have already. Ladies and gentlemen - my g.a.s. is cured.

(for now)

sunvalleylaw
June 7th, 2009, 12:54 PM
Whhhyyyy Alice, I oughta! . . . . straight to the moon! :reallymad: :spank: :rolleyes: ;)

Katastrophe
June 7th, 2009, 01:07 PM
Ding ding ding. You are correct.

I simply couldn't find anything that was significantly better than what I have already. Ladies and gentlemen - my g.a.s. is cured.

(for now)

Gee, thanks, Spuds. Your saying that GAS is cured has now ensured that our economic woes will continue another 6 months, and the companies will have to raise prices 30% to compensate for the sales slowdown.

Nice.

:D ;)

sumitomo
June 7th, 2009, 01:07 PM
Spud Check out one of those Yamaha SLG100,then you can have a guitar to take with you on the airplane.Sumi:D