PDA

View Full Version : Went to see Mastodon tonight

ShootTheGlass
June 7th, 2009, 06:07 PM
This is guitar related, so Ill put it in here :)

Well, today I went to WH Smith and bought permanent silver and gold markers. Then I went to HMV with my guitar. Then....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v177/Gabbastard/guitar/signedhibanez.jpg

I got Mastodon to sign it.

They were doing a signing of their new CD at HMV. As I work there, I managed to meet the guys before they went out to do the signing. My mate had their LP along with him, asked if they would sign it, and I kind of felt bad for asking, but asked if they would sign my guitar - straight away they were like "yeah man, come in, no problem". F'ing great attitude to have, cos it made my day.

Though before the guys signed it, i pulled out a bit of sandpaper and keyed a bit of the body down. Bill Kelliher was like "what are you doing?" but when I told him I was keying down the clearcoat so they could sign it and id re-lacquer it to keep the signatures on, they thought it was cool.

Funny thing was, I was crapping it when I was meeting them, it was the whole fan-meets-band-shits-himself scenario LOL

Also got a guest pass for their gig tonight, and it was unbelievable. They dont talk at all during their gig, they just come out and wreck the place with 1.5hours of solid riffs. Saved Iron Tusk for last, which everyone went mental for.

If you are into your prog rock/metal, go and see them. There isnt a massive show in terms of visuals, but their musicianship is mindblowing.

marnold
June 7th, 2009, 06:59 PM
That's awesome. I know what you mean about the brain farts when you meet someone you really respect/admire.

bigG
June 8th, 2009, 01:46 AM
Very cool, man! Cool to the extreme! Great story! I'm really happy for ya!:bravo:

FrankenFretter
June 8th, 2009, 01:08 PM
Guy I used to work with got me hooked on Mastodon. I love their stuff, it reminds me of Maiden (circa Powerslave) in some ways. Cool that you got them to sign your axe. You're not going to put it on the wall never to be played again now, are you? ;-)

ShootTheGlass
June 8th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Deffo not, Ive started re-clearcoating it already - itll take a while as Ill need to build it in very fine layers otherwise the solvent in the lacquer will make the signatures run everywhere. Itll be back getting played next week :)