PDA

View Full Version : Ibanez RG1570

marnold
June 7th, 2009, 07:18 PM
I went to a guitar shoppe in Green Bay the other day, specifically to test out an Ibanez RG1570 (http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-RG1570), although the one I'm really interested in is the RG1550M (http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-RG1550M) but the store didn't have one of those. The only difference is that the RG1550M has a pickguard and a maple fretboard. I mainly wanted to hear the pickups. I played through a Blues Junior and some variety of a Marshall Valvestate combo. Some idiot was kind enough to loosen the locking nut to reset the guitar to Drop-D. I hate people who do that with a purple passion. Thus, I could only play relatively in tune.

I liked the S1 middle pickup the best--which is probably an indictment of a more metal-oriented guitar. The bridge-middle position was nice too. Otherwise, the V7 and V8 humbuckers were pretty muddy all on their own. They'd probably work OK with tremendous gain, but not clean, IMO. Mind you, this is from a person who likes a Duncan Screamin' Demon so I tend to like things bright.

Tis a pity because otherwise it seemed like a very nice guitar indeed. It needed a setup (besides the aforementioned tuning/re-floating the bridge), but I basically expect that anymore. The body is about as pointy as you can get with a Strat-like shape. Even the cuts on the top/bottom are sharp, there's no smooth roundedness here. The neck was the way I like it: thin, flat, satin finish, and with big frets. Access to all 24 frets is a breeze. The 24 fret neck does cram the three pickups close together, however. My guess is that close proximity will keep "quackiness" to a minimum on the in-between positions, no matter what pups you put in there.

I'm not very seriously looking at guitars, other than the fact that someone on the Floyd Rose forums reported ordering Speedloader strings in mid-March and he still doesn't have them. The "expected shipping date" keeps getting pushed back. I've still got five sets, so I've got time. If I had to go that way, I could scrounge my Demon and an Area 61 out of my Floyd and look at a new neck 'bucker. Still, I'd hate to spend that much and then have to yank pups right away.

Kazz
June 7th, 2009, 07:28 PM
Rev...I actually like this axe with the rosewood neck....the dark goes really well with the red...and I think it would probably look better than the maple....

stingx
June 7th, 2009, 08:02 PM
I own a '06 RG1570 and it is a well crafted and comfortable to play instrument. I still have the stock pups in it and have no intention of changing them out. I paid about $600 for it and its fit and finish surpass guitars more than double the price.

marnold
June 7th, 2009, 08:36 PM
Kazz: the 1550M only comes in blue and a color they call "poisoned pumpkin" which is actually kind of cool. Plus I _really_ want a maple fretboard.

Stingx: $600 would be an absolute steal for that guitar. Nice catch!

Spudman
June 7th, 2009, 09:43 PM
Basically the 1550 is similar to the discontinued RG450 and the 1570 is like the RG470. If you like the current models check out the old versions used which you can get for a more reasonable price. Then if you need a pickup upgrade the cost wont be such a burden. The bridge will of course not be the Edge Pro.

My RG450 is on the left
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w149/srspud/Guitars/koreansquier035.jpg

The RG470 comes in a variety of colors
http://image14.webshots.com/14/1/80/68/174718068VHXZnx_ph.jpg

sumitomo
June 7th, 2009, 10:21 PM
Hey Rev there is a 550 on ebay the pumpkin color and maple neck about 800.00 Sumi:D

bigG
June 8th, 2009, 02:07 AM
Rev, I had an Ibanez RG1570 in candy apple red - for abt 3 days. I really liked the guitar, but while in the local store buying it, I noticed they had a BEAUTIFUL transparent amber Peavey HP Special USA hanging there for $1500.

I had always thought that Peavey to be out of my "rational" price range, but I was just drooling over it. So, 3 days after buying the RG1570, I had been doing some figuring, and called the guitar salesman/tech to make an offer of trade - the 1570 and my Peavey HP Signature EXP + $100 in swap for the HP Special USA. He said "sure, let's do it!" So i did!

I already had an Ibanez S520EX to cover what shredding and metal I do (not much), and those Ibanez Wizard necks play like a dream, so I figured returning the 1570 wouldn't kill me...and I've since gotten back my beloved HP Signature EXP...and I now have my signature ax, the Peavey HP Special USA. So I'm happy all the way around on that deal.

BUT, if money were no object, I certainly would have held onto the 1570! It is a very nice guitar! I found the stock pus to be quite good!

marnold
June 8th, 2009, 08:44 AM
Basically the 1550 is similar to the discontinued RG450 and the 1570 is like the RG470. If you like the current models check out the old versions used which you can get for a more reasonable price. Then if you need a pickup upgrade the cost wont be such a burden. The bridge will of course not be the Edge Pro.
Hmm. Good call. What version of the Edge is on the 450/470? How does it compare to the Pro viz a viz tuning stability?

Spudman
June 8th, 2009, 09:02 AM
Believe it or not my 450 has a TRS and it never goes out of tune no matter what. It works great and I've never had an issue with it.

marnold
June 8th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Believe it or not my 450 has a TRS and it never goes out of tune no matter what. It works great and I've never had an issue with it.
Wow, that's kind of surprising, based on what you tend to hear about them. What Duncans do you have in that?

marnold
June 8th, 2009, 10:27 AM
Of course, the pickup thing would be relatively easy to deal with. Since I like what I've got in my Floyd, I could order an HSS guard from a place like EKG Guitars and just move the guts over. I don't know how much they'd charge, but I can't imagine it would be as much for a new Duncan.

Kazz
June 8th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Yep...the blue would probably look best with the maple.

Spudman
June 8th, 2009, 11:06 AM
Wow, that's kind of surprising, based on what you tend to hear about them. What Duncans do you have in that?

Pearly Gates neck - Screamin Deamon bridge. :)

marnold
June 8th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Pearly Gates neck - Screamin Deamon bridge. :)
Sounds like a combination that someone else I know might like . . . I thought those hex screws looked familiar.

Spudman
June 8th, 2009, 06:08 PM
Your ship just came in Rev.
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=552665