PDA

View Full Version : News from Tacoma, New Alice in Chains

sunvalleylaw
June 8th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Alice in Chains, not a Seattle band, nor even truly my home town Tacoma (they really were from Spanaway) is coming out with new stuff!

http://blogs.thenewstribune.com/ej/2009/06/08/p42285#more42285

Looks interesting. I liked the AIC sound and look forward to hearing it.

Kazz
June 8th, 2009, 01:57 PM
It should be interesting...Layne had a voice that will never be duplicated tho. Jerry Cantrell is an amazing guitar player.

sunvalleylaw
June 8th, 2009, 02:09 PM
I agree with your point about Layne's voice. I was just listening to some on myspace, hoping to find a recording with their new singer, but did not. Since I am now a guitar player, and when I first enjoyed them I was not, I hope the new stuff will still be interesting to me. We'll have to see on the singing.

bigG
June 8th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Alice In Chains! Man, I have all their stuff on CD! IMHO, the best grunge band - better than Nirvana or Soundgarden or Screaming Trees, etc...:bravo:

W/o Layne, though, well. we'll see...

Jimi75
June 8th, 2009, 03:17 PM
I loved AIC! It would be great if they continued making music with AIC. Replacing Layne is IMPOSSIBLE, but I believe they will find someone with a great voice anyway!

tjcurtin1
June 8th, 2009, 06:50 PM
Oh - I was hoping you had news about Tacoma, the guitar brand!

sunvalleylaw
June 8th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Oh - I was hoping you had news about Tacoma, the guitar brand!
Nope, just my old hometown music scene. I wish I had some news about Tacoma guitars. They folded before I could get one. I personally liked the traditionally shaped ones rather than the unusual sound hole types, and very much liked the Tacoma factory built Guilds. But that is another thread entirely. ;)

Radioboy950
June 9th, 2009, 09:39 AM
New singer, William DuVall, fits the band very well.
Nailed all the vocals, but in his own style without trying to sound like Staley.
Saw them a couple years ago when they toured with Velvet Revolver.
It was a killer rock show. AIC still has a HUGE loyal following.

sunvalleylaw
June 9th, 2009, 10:31 AM
Thanks Radioboy for the report. I really am excited to hear them. Maybe I can find some on youtube.

msteeln
June 9th, 2009, 08:05 PM
Just happen to be rockin to some live AIC from a SB recording in Seattle and there will never be anyone to equal Layne in the angst and emotion dept.
Trying to revive this classic band is not what I would have preferred, but it will be good to have Jerry out on the road again.

Eric
August 5th, 2010, 07:48 PM
Just thought I would add to this. I've been really digging Alice in Chains lately. I bumbled into some Ticketmaster special and got two tickets to see them in September for a grand total of $20!

Jerry Cantrell is a crazy good guitarist, and the whole band is really pretty tight. Looking back at the days of 90s music, AIC stands the test of time. Good stuff.

Spudman
August 5th, 2010, 09:22 PM
That's a great score Eric. Make sure you take ear plugs with you. It will help to clean the mix so that you can hear the guitars nice and clear. Jerry rocks!:dude

guitarmadman85
August 5th, 2010, 10:32 PM
I didn't know Alice in Chains was from Spanaway. I used to live there... Not the most pleasant place.

Jimi75
August 6th, 2010, 02:38 AM
I've seen them live this summer. I think the new singer together with Jerry does a great job. Staley was one of a kind, but he was unbearable for AIC. Now these guys rock and you can see that they feel good. Check out Jerry's new Dunlop Wah pedal by the way, it's a great sounding unit.