PDA

View Full Version : WOW....jump in on this one

TS808
June 8th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Tonight was one of those "wow" experiences (for me anyway).

I was going to post some clips tonight of the Blackheart Handsome Devil, Peavey Delta Blues 210 and the Fender Bandmaster VM. I was recording with a jam track and was going to play the Blackheart for the first third of the track, the Delta Blues in the middle, and the Fender at the end.

In another post, I have how the Bandmaster VM is a very bright amp.

Well, I had my amps set to how I play them normally when noodling around and recorded away.

When I played it back, the Blackheart sounded muddy, the Peavey sounded muddy, and the Fender? Perfect. I recorded with a Shure SM-57 and Sonar Home Studio through an M-Audio interface.

This was one of those moments where I realized that what I hear may sound bright, until mixed with other instruments, as well as at different volume levels. Fletcher Munson curve?? The ears deceiving me as well as masking of frequencies??

I know others have written about this, and even how sitting close to your amp as opposed to farther away can produce different tones. Normally, I sit close to my amps while playing along with jam tracks. What came across on the recording sounded MUCH different than what I hear when playing along with a jam track. I then sat about 15 feet away from the Bandmaster....didn't sound too bright then. It sounded just right.

I've been playing guitar now going on 40 years (some periods where I didn't play at all) and it's funny how I still learn something new each time.

Robert
June 8th, 2009, 05:56 PM
The same happens at gigs for me now and then. I have learned to move the amp around on stage until I get it to sound right. Such things as how far the away the amp is, how far off the ground, what the amp is sitting on top of, the angle/tilt of the cabinet - all these things can make a huge difference. My advice - experiment and in the end - trust your ears and not your eyes.

Rocket
June 8th, 2009, 06:12 PM
My advice - experiment and in the end - trust your ears and not your eyes.
...or in my case, trust the ears of others as I went amp(h) deaf many years ago.

tot_Ou_tard
June 9th, 2009, 06:30 AM
Maybe you should record again with the best recorded mix as your goal rather than how it sounds to you while playing. I wonder if you could EQ the Blackheart and the Peavey so as to have them cut better in the mix.

TS808
June 9th, 2009, 07:06 PM
Maybe you should record again with the best recorded mix as your goal rather than how it sounds to you while playing. I wonder if you could EQ the Blackheart and the Peavey so as to have them cut better in the mix.

Definitely.....it's just a matter of EQing them for the recording. I was just amazed at how different the amps sounded mic'd and in a mix compared to when I'm just noodling around.