PDA

View Full Version : Picking Positions Video

Robert
June 9th, 2009, 07:34 AM
So I was testing my new microphone, a Canon DM-100, for my video camera, a Canon Vixia HG-20.

I went through the 3 different modes on it - Shotgun, 90 Degrees and 120 Degrees.

The video idea I came up with is to show different picking positions, and how this can drastically change the sound of your guitar, depending on how far away from the bridge you pick.

The video is kinda short and I could have done a lot more with it, but my main purpose was to test the mic on the camera! I thought I'd share the thing anyway.

How is the sound? Notice there is not a whole lot of white noise when I'm talking, and the guitar sound comes through more naturally too. I was also playing the amp at talking volume, since it was late at night and kids were sleeping. I was using the 120 Degree mode, a wider stereo sound.

As always - pardon my veins! :puke:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkekR_EljJI
fkekR_EljJI

Jimi75
June 9th, 2009, 07:43 AM
Looks and sounds great. First of all it's a briliant idea to cover the different picking positions, because picking at the bridge or at the neck makes a huge difference.

The sound quality is very good, very detailled and transparent.

bigG
June 9th, 2009, 09:16 AM
Sounds great, Robert! Really good to show this, especially to relative newcomers at playing guitar. Something one rarely thinks about explaining to newbies! :bravo:

djmcconnell
June 9th, 2009, 11:47 AM
Sounded good to me as well. It was nice to have a balance between speaking voice and guitar amp (without picking up an excessive amount of ambient string noise that colors the sound on so many poorly made web videos).

It's nice to have the right tools for the job.

tot_Ou_tard
June 12th, 2009, 04:35 AM
I agree good sound quality & a nice thing to make newbies aware of.

Robert
June 12th, 2009, 07:04 AM
Thankee-sai, everyone! May you all have long days and pleasant nights (I just finished Wolves of the Calla).