PDA

View Full Version : I'm really not trying to wear out my welcome..

333maxwell
June 9th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Still.. I have been on a writing and recording binge and when I get started I get a bit compulsive and tunnel visioned. I am hopefuly coming down from this nonsensical round of creation. I think with all my medical crap going on right now I just feel an urgency to get some of these songs out of my system before I lose them.

I wrote and recorded this one on Sunday and mixed it last night. A bit of old late 50's early 60's styled kind of Rock Ballad.. The mix could be better but more and more a perfect mix is less important than capturing the essence of the song while it is fresh and in my head.

If someone enjoys it then it will be worth others rolling their eyes and thinking 'not this #^@'ing guy again'.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=676362&songID=7685554

R_of_G
June 9th, 2009, 01:13 PM
Don't apologize man, I typically really like your stuff and I'm glad you choose to share it with us. Will be back to comment on this one in awhile when I have a chance to listen to it.

tjcurtin1
June 9th, 2009, 06:41 PM
Sweetly done, 333. I thought that the mix sounded great -

oldguy
June 9th, 2009, 07:08 PM
Nice one, max!:AOK:

You're not wearing out your welcome, man. I always love hearing your music.
BTW, if you can, check this out and give me your opinion...........I don't wanna repost the whole thread, but let me know what you think. I was happy with the mix and overall sound. I'd tried to make it pretty..........:D
I was going for an old feel, and had a lot of fun making it.:D

http://www.box.net/public/9lks566gr1

tot_Ou_tard
June 10th, 2009, 06:06 AM
Yeah, don't apologize. I don't always have time to listen, but I always enjoy it when I do. I love your quirky take on songs. I'll listen to this one when I have more time.

baldgit
June 10th, 2009, 07:50 AM
loved the sound...very doowopish(is that a word?)anyways I enjoyed listening.... thx

guitartango
June 10th, 2009, 01:58 PM
Hi

I decided to download some of your music for the trip back from work, so far i like what i am hearing. Did i see a picture of a FBJ on the soundclick website?

Can I ask what pedals you are using and how you record your music?

I hear a lot of different styles in your music, you kinda sound like Richard Hawton, Hank Marvin, George Harrison, Roy O, The Beatles.

Keep up the good work

333maxwell
June 10th, 2009, 02:58 PM
Thanks for the positive thoughts everyone.. I love you guys!

(in a non mushy kinda way of course)

333maxwell
June 10th, 2009, 03:21 PM
Hi

I decided to download some of your music for the trip back from work, so far i like what i am hearing. Did i see a picture of a FBJ on the soundclick website?

Can I ask what pedals you are using and how you record your music?

I hear a lot of different styles in your music, you kinda sound like Richard Hawton, Hank Marvin, George Harrison, Roy O, The Beatles.

Keep up the good work

Glad to answer that..

I'll start with a bit of background though.. mine is the essence of budget setup.. in general with very few exeptions here are the essentials..

1.My DAW I record all instruments and vocals on to is Cakewalk Pro Audio 9.. it is a 16 year old program and does not support VST. For working drums and orchestra instruments etc I use Magix Midi studio. It allows me to edit any midi information from my keyboard and turn it into VST instruments.

2. I couldn't get ANY analog sounds into the computer without this. It is my only interface and cost 30 bucks. It gets the job done and seems to work as good as much more spendy devices.
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-UCONTROL-UCA202-USBAudio-Interface?sku=702540

3. My Mic's.. I use a Shure 58 for vocals and a AKG 452 EB for horns and guitars (it's 1 of my only 2 'real' pieces of gear). I recently picked up a Large Diaphram CAD Condenser for 30 bucks at a Pawn Shop and it has became my go to for all strings, horns and vocals..

4. For every clean electric guitar recording I plug directly into this. It isn't designed for recording, but I find for clean it gives just enough boost to signal that it records clean and fairly transparent. I never use it for distored recordings. It simply doesnt sound good. I plug it directly into my AD and into my laptop and record direct with it. http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seymour-Duncan-SFX03-Twin-Tube-Classic-Preamp-Pedal?sku=159341

5. For all the distortion and crazier stuff I use this.. it was 70 bucks.. I bought it on a lark to use for a few things, and now I pretty much use it for everything. http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-X-VAMP-Guitar-Multi-Effects-Processor?sku=480732
The only other pedals or hardware FX I use are sometimes I jack a Tube Screamer into the Behringer for an extra distortion, and I use a cry baby Wah frequently.

6. THe only other piece of hardware I use is this. It cost 30 bucks and powers up the AKG and CAD. http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-TUBE-ULTRAGAIN-MIC100-Preamp?sku=182482

So, I use ancient Cakewalk software and Magix Midi to record on. The $30 Behringer A/D interface and plugged into that is either the $30 Behringer Mic pre amp or the $70 Behringer guitar modeler.

The FX I use are all free VST I have found on the net. I use a VST 'wrap around' so I can use one VST FX on any given track in cakewalk (which only uses direct X without the wrapper).

I have no ability to mix in real time, and any FX takes minutes to apply. I can't audition them first so it is always a crap shoot at best. Hence my mixes sometimes seeming like I just tossed my hands up and said 'screw it' because essentially thats the point I usually get to in most of these songs.

_________

Hope that helps.. I might add I just got a new computer that will certainly be better than the pentium 1 laptop with 256 MB (60 shared with video) for recording. So I will be upgrading a lot soon.. but to date what I have listed is my only hardware. I do sport several horns and dozens of stringed guitars and ukes and mando's and a variety of other instruments like acordions etc..

Thanks for asking.

oldguy
June 10th, 2009, 06:38 PM
Glad to answer that..

I'll start with a bit of background though.. mine is the essence of budget setup.. in general with very few exeptions here are the essentials..

1.My DAW I record all instruments and vocals on to is Cakewalk Pro Audio 9.. it is a 16 year old program and does not support VST. For working drums and orchestra instruments etc I use Magix Midi studio. It allows me to edit any midi information from my keyboard and turn it into VST instruments.

2. I couldn't get ANY analog sounds into the computer without this. It is my only interface and cost 30 bucks. It gets the job done and seems to work as good as much more spendy devices.
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-UCONTROL-UCA202-USBAudio-Interface?sku=702540

3. My Mic's.. I use a Shure 58 for vocals and a AKG 452 EB for horns and guitars (it's 1 of my only 2 'real' pieces of gear). I recently picked up a Large Diaphram CAD Condenser for 30 bucks at a Pawn Shop and it has became my go to for all strings, horns and vocals..

4. For every clean electric guitar recording I plug directly into this. It isn't designed for recording, but I find for clean it gives just enough boost to signal that it records clean and fairly transparent. I never use it for distored recordings. It simply doesnt sound good. I plug it directly into my AD and into my laptop and record direct with it. http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seymour-Duncan-SFX03-Twin-Tube-Classic-Preamp-Pedal?sku=159341

5. For all the distortion and crazier stuff I use this.. it was 70 bucks.. I bought it on a lark to use for a few things, and now I pretty much use it for everything. http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-X-VAMP-Guitar-Multi-Effects-Processor?sku=480732
The only other pedals or hardware FX I use are sometimes I jack a Tube Screamer into the Behringer for an extra distortion, and I use a cry baby Wah frequently.

6. THe only other piece of hardware I use is this. It cost 30 bucks and powers up the AKG and CAD. http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-TUBE-ULTRAGAIN-MIC100-Preamp?sku=182482

So, I use ancient Cakewalk software and Magix Midi to record on. The $30 Behringer A/D interface and plugged into that is either the $30 Behringer Mic pre amp or the $70 Behringer guitar modeler.

The FX I use are all free VST I have found on the net. I use a VST 'wrap around' so I can use one VST FX on any given track in cakewalk (which only uses direct X without the wrapper).

I have no ability to mix in real time, and any FX takes minutes to apply. I can't audition them first so it is always a crap shoot at best. Hence my mixes sometimes seeming like I just tossed my hands up and said 'screw it' because essentially thats the point I usually get to in most of these songs.

_________

Hope that helps.. I might add I just got a new computer that will certainly be better than the pentium 1 laptop with 256 MB (60 shared with video) for recording. So I will be upgrading a lot soon.. but to date what I have listed is my only hardware. I do sport several horns and dozens of stringed guitars and ukes and mando's and a variety of other instruments like acordions etc..

Thanks for asking.

Thanks for all the info, Chas!:D

(guess you didn't have time to listen to the clip I left a link to............):whatever:
(JK) just messin' with 'ya, man........we all get busy...
:poke: :poke:
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

333maxwell
June 11th, 2009, 05:34 AM
Thanks for all the info, Chas!:D

(guess you didn't have time to listen to the clip I left a link to............):whatever:
(JK) just messin' with 'ya, man........we all get busy...
:poke: :poke:
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

I PROMISE to listen and feedback when I get to my music computer. I've been out on my laptop the last few days, and trust me it is the LAST thing you want to review music on.. I would be telling you 'it sounds ok I guess.. a lot like an AM transistor radio with only 1 one inch speaker'.

I know this is what your song would sound like, because thats what EVERY song sounds like on my dilapidated laptop with one speaker.. *G*

I'll be on the machine I can listen on before the day is up. :beer:

oldguy
June 11th, 2009, 06:05 AM
Hey, no prob, Chas..........I was jokin', hope I didn't sound otherwise.
I do value your opinion, tho. Always like your music, and I appreciate you sharing it with us here.:)

guitartango
June 11th, 2009, 06:19 AM
Thanks Chas

Guess my next purchase will be a decent Mic as the one i am using must be years old and sounds cheap.

Rocket
June 11th, 2009, 06:34 AM
Guess my next purchase will be a decent Mic as the one i am using must be years old and sounds cheap.
Good mics are expensive for a reason.
People spend piles of money on top-shelf recording equipment and then throw either a cheap mic, the wrong mic, (or both,) in front of it... then spend months trying to figure out what's wrong with their recordings.
When in doubt, ask an audio or recording engineer. Everybody knows one and I've never known one that hesitated going on & on & on about their knowledge of such things... take notes!
(BTW, Ricky at Best Buy is NOT an audio or recording engineer.)

Kazz
June 11th, 2009, 04:09 PM
(BTW, Ricky at Best Buy is NOT an audio or recording engineer.)

Rocket....that is a serious candidate for signature material :-)

oldguy
June 13th, 2009, 08:23 PM
I PROMISE to listen and feedback when I get to my music computer. I've been out on my laptop the last few days, and trust me it is the LAST thing you want to review music on.. I would be telling you 'it sounds ok I guess.. a lot like an AM transistor radio with only 1 one inch speaker'.

I know this is what your song would sound like, because thats what EVERY song sounds like on my dilapidated laptop with one speaker.. *G*

I'll be on the machine I can listen on before the day is up. :beer:

Chas?:confused:

333maxwell
June 13th, 2009, 10:55 PM
Chas?:confused:

Ha.. you thought I would forget you? My brother came down to visit for the first time ina few years unexpectedly so I was a bit distracted the last few days.

Yes.. I like the music.. it's screaming for vocals.. in fact the first part of it is almost a chord for chord match of mine for the first go round.. must be the 'old guys play old songs' chords.. *G*

Do you ever do any vocals?

oldguy
June 14th, 2009, 06:29 AM
Ha.. you thought I would forget you? My brother came down to visit for the first time ina few years unexpectedly so I was a bit distracted the last few days.

Yes.. I like the music.. it's screaming for vocals.. in fact the first part of it is almost a chord for chord match of mine for the first go round.. must be the 'old guys play old songs' chords.. *G*

Do you ever do any vocals?

Nah, I was just havin' fun. I knew you'd take a listen.
No, I don't do any vocals, at least no so's you'd recognize it as vocals....:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: