PDA

View Full Version : Wet _dry Vote? It Went Wet!

street music
June 9th, 2009, 06:00 PM
Our town just held a WET-DRY vote today. The city had been dry since 1944 and todays vote of 650 to 549 was somewhat of a surprise to many. It will now have the sell of liquor in our city limits, we may have finally come out of the dark ages.

luvmyshiner
June 9th, 2009, 06:34 PM
WOO HOOO!! Congrats Street, I'm buyin' brother.:beer: :beer:

just strum
June 9th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Despite my comments, I believe the world should be dry, the music outlawed, dancing prohibited, and the Taliban in office.

as Tom Waits said - "that's just me and I have to live with me."

street music
June 9th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Strum, What's gotten into you? :beer: Have one on me and Shiner!
It's crazy that we have two counties that join ours that have been wet for years , we have had resturants that wanted to open here that wouldn't, it won't make more drunks on the road than we already have cause they could drive 10 mile and buy it.
Maybe we can party cheaper without having to travel out of town now.

just strum
June 9th, 2009, 07:00 PM
Sorry, I have a real problem with DWI and I don't get the excitement of alchol. I don't mind people drinking, but there is too many irresponsible people out there.

Just a IMHO, nothing more.

street music
June 9th, 2009, 07:09 PM
Strum , I agree on the DUI, I understand your stance on it. I never drink and drive- I seldom drink myself -never beer- since I don't care for the taste. I do serve as the disignated driver when we go out with our friends, I have a CDL license that I cannot afford to loose. I am near 54 years old and smart enough to know when and where to drink.

just strum
June 9th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Strum , I agree on the DUI, I understand your stance on it. I never drink and drive- I seldom drink myself -never beer- since I don't care for the taste. I do serve as the disignated driver when we go out with our friends, I have a CDL license that I cannot afford to loose. I am near 54 years old and smart enough to know when and where to drink.

I am the designated driver too. Not getting on my soap box, so I will leave no more comments on the subject.

luvmyshiner
June 9th, 2009, 07:21 PM
Wow Strum. I reread my comments and obviously I missed something. Didn't realize I was advocating DWI's.

Apparently either I'm missing something or you are. I didn't realize that those of us who occasionally enjoy a beer responsibly are to be blamed for all the idiots who would find some other substance to abuse if the world were dry. Guess I learned something today about both of us.

just strum
June 9th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Wow Strum. I reread my comments and obviously I missed something. Didn't realize I was advocating DWI's.

Apparently either I'm missing something or you are. I didn't realize that those of us who occasionally enjoy a beer responsibly are to be blamed for all the idiots who would find some other substance to abuse if the world were dry. Guess I learned something today about both of us.

Your post had nothing to do with my comments.

oldguy
June 9th, 2009, 07:45 PM
And I don't think young men should wear pants that hang down around their A$$es, and I'm entitled to my opinion...................

just strum
June 9th, 2009, 07:54 PM
The folks at Seagram's and Coors just sent me threatening email. Now I feel like Salman Rushdie

oldguy
June 9th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Who?
(Sick the Kool-Aid people on 'em):)

street music
June 9th, 2009, 08:46 PM
OLDGUY, I AGREE COMPLETELY! that is one very bad scene in my opinion.

R_of_G
June 9th, 2009, 09:05 PM
"To alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems." - Homer Simpson

sunvalleylaw
June 9th, 2009, 09:27 PM
And I don't think young men should wear pants that hang down around their A$$es, and I'm entitled to my opinion...................

Yeah, and I think middle school girls (or their moms) who ride cruiser bikes around should wear a helmet and not talk on the phone while they are riding down city streets in flip flops!!! :messedup: Another pet peeve. ;)

Strum, I want to make clear that I do not make light of your position on DUI/DWI. In my line of work, I have had quite a cross section of folks dealing with the issue, and having been affected by the issue. It is a serious problem with no easy answers. I don't feel, however, prohibition works.

Street, here is to enjoying freedom responsibly!

Spudman
June 9th, 2009, 10:22 PM
I'm happy to hear they voted to go wet. My father might still be alive if it weren't for the wet - dry ordinances. When people have to drive aways from where they live to have the social drinking scene they then have to drive back further than if they had just stayed local. If local they might have been able to get a cab or even walk. Driving intoxicated is stupid but doing so further distances just changes the odds the wrong way.

tot_Ou_tard
June 10th, 2009, 06:01 AM
Good for your town. Prohibition just makes no sense.

It tends to increase overindulgence--you're not getting any more when you get back, better have a few more now.

It was a godsend to the mob when the US as a whole tried it. It also increased lawbreaking by decent people which affects societies overall view of the law.

piebaldpython
June 10th, 2009, 08:32 AM
Yeah, and I think middle school girls (or their moms) who ride cruiser bikes around should wear a helmet and not talk on the phone while they are riding down city streets in flip flops!!! :messedup: Another pet peeve. ;) !

+100 SVL. I walk during lunch time in Center City Philly. I can't begin to tell you how many times I was almost hit. Let me tell you what 90% of the cases are. Doesn't matter if a guy or a gal, it's the same thing..........one hand is holding the cell-phone to the ear or texting. Therefore, that hand is useless. Next, the other hand is holding a HUGE coffee/tea container and because it's SO big. it only allows ONE or TWO fingers to turn the steering wheel. Makes me want to scream.

As to the PANTS issue.......:rotflmao: .....I see that all the time too and it has gotten so bad that they are now more than half way down the butt. I am totally amazed as to how the PANTS stay up at all in that position.

Robert
June 10th, 2009, 08:52 AM
As to the PANTS issue.......:rotflmao: .....I see that all the time too and it has gotten so bad that they are now more than half way down the butt. I am totally amazed as to how the PANTS stay up at all in that position.

Super glue? :D

sumitomo
June 10th, 2009, 09:50 AM

I never drank and drove either,I didn't want an open container ticket,so I made sure I drank before driving.:beer: Sumi:D I can joke about it now I paid my dues.:AOK: