PDA

View Full Version : Modding new 2008 LP electronics

gdw3
June 10th, 2009, 09:22 AM
I have a 2008 Les Paul Standard, which has the new electronics (circuit board rather than the point-to-point wiring). I'd like to re-wire it to have a master volume. I wrote Gibson customer service, and they said it was possible, but could not or would not tell me how.

So, does anybody have any info on the new LP electronics, and/or how to do the re-wire?

BTW, I love this guitar. Great neck. Chambered body sustains a note forever (some feedback issues, tho). I just want to wire it in a way that works better for me. Thanks.

Plank_Spanker
June 12th, 2009, 11:34 AM
Gibson will not tell you how to rewire your guitar. The only way to do it with the (Grrrrrr!) PCB is to gut the guitar and wire from scratch without the board, cutting the plug from the pickups. The control cavity is still the same dimensions, so standard pots will still fit.

The PCB on the new Gibsons is one of my pet peeves.....................:mad:

gdw3
June 12th, 2009, 10:36 PM
Kinda what I figured, even tho tech support told me differently....

Besides the lack-of-ease of modding, are there other reasons you don't like the PCB board?

Plank_Spanker
June 14th, 2009, 04:09 PM
A minor point, but I'm not in love with the taper of the pots. They seem to dive off faster than the pots I have in my Gibbies. From Gibson's standpoint the PCB is a winner - cuts production cost........................just pop in the board and connect it.

The ease of modding is what draws my umbrage. Pickups can be replaced if you cut the wires to the plug and tap solder the leads / solder the leads to the board. Changing pots is a different story..........................gut the board and wire from scratch. Perhaps Gibson will one day license mod kits - for a princely sum, I'm sure! :mad:

I am by no means trashing your guitar. the new Standards I've played were really sweet........................you just have to jump through hoops to mod the electronics now.

gdw3
June 14th, 2009, 04:19 PM
I didn't think you were trashing the guitar. It wouldn't matter anyway, cuz I like the asymmetrical neck -- doesn't make my hand cramp like other LPs (either 50's or 60's). But obviously, I don't think it's perfect either, or I wouldn't be considering a mod.

So, I assume I'd need to get new pots and everything if I were to pull the board and wire a master vol setup, yes? Anybody have any favorite makes or sources for pots? The pickups are Burstbuckers. I'm relatively satisfied with them. (one thing at a time....)

Plank_Spanker
June 14th, 2009, 05:00 PM
CTS makes good pots. Do you have a diagram for the mod? What value pots are you considering?

gdw3
June 14th, 2009, 06:33 PM
I've never had it explained well to me what the value differences in the pots does to the sound/playability, so I dunno.

In another thread I was on, a great link was posted that has a bunch of diagrams for nearly every conceivable wiring config. Very helpful.
http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/

Plank_Spanker
June 17th, 2009, 03:50 PM
I'm not sure what value the Bourne pots are on the board, but Gibson traditionally uses 300K pots on most of their non PCB guitars. Generally, the higher the pot value, the brighter the sound. 500K pots are usually considered the standard for humbucker equipped guitars, but I have no problem with the 300K pots in all of my Gibsons.

Let me see if I can dig up a wiring diagram for your guitar.

gdw3
June 17th, 2009, 07:48 PM
Hmm. I might like it a little brighter! Well, thanks already for your help. I got frustrated again today at the 2-volume thing, so i'm feeling the re-wire in my future....

I just looked at the Seymour site of wiring diagrams again, and it doesn't actually have the config I want, which is:
1 volume, 2 tones, 1 blender. So, anybody that can help me w/ that drawing, mucho appreciado.

Are those burstbuckers coil-splittable? If I'm going to re-wire, I might as well give myself choices, possibly w/ some push-pull pots.

Plank_Spanker
June 19th, 2009, 07:03 AM
I just looked at the Seymour site of wiring diagrams again, and it doesn't actually have the config I want, which is:
1 volume, 2 tones, 1 blender. So, anybody that can help me w/ that drawing, mucho appreciado.

Are those burstbuckers coil-splittable? If I'm going to re-wire, I might as well give myself choices, possibly w/ some push-pull pots.

The BB's are not splittable. Why don't you post this in the mods forum? There are some very knowledgeable folks there.

**************EDIT*******************

I see that you already posted there. I'll keep looking.................

Plank_Spanker
June 20th, 2009, 08:12 AM
Here's some good background info:

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/category/wiringresources.wiring_faqs/

Are you dead set on a blender pot? You can accomplish the same thing by varying the volumes on the guitar. There are some pretty cool mods with diagrams on the site I posted. Look them over.

gdw3
June 25th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Are you dead set on a blender pot? You can accomplish the same thing by varying the volumes on the guitar.

Yes. A master volume is the whole reason for my wanting to do this. That with a blender instead of the 2nd vol. are what I want.