PDA

View Full Version : Anybody mod the new 2008 Les Paul electronics?

gdw3
June 10th, 2009, 09:25 AM
I have a 2008 Les Paul Standard, which has the new electronics (circuit board rather than the point-to-point wiring). I'd like to re-wire it to have a master volume. I wrote Gibson customer service, and they said it was possible, but could not or would not tell me how.

So, does anybody have any info on the new LP electronics, and/or how to do the re-wire?

BTW, I love this guitar. Great neck. Chambered body sustains a note forever (some feedback issues, tho). I just want to wire it in a way that works better for me. Thanks.

duhvoodooman
June 10th, 2009, 11:08 AM
Check out the humbucker section of the Seymour Duncan wiring diagrams:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/

gdw3
June 11th, 2009, 10:46 AM
That's actually a very helpful site.

But you're not getting my problem. The new '08 LP Standards have circuit boards, not point-to-point wiring. I want to know if these are re-wire-able, and if so, how.

marnold
June 11th, 2009, 11:52 AM
I didn't realize they were doing that now. I did a little research. I hope there's some benefit to doing it that way, but to be honest it seems rather stupid. My guess is that it is a cost-saving move--although I can't imagine that little bit of trivial soldering would add that much to the cost of a guitar the runs for almost three grand.

Unless Gibson has released the specs for it (ha!) my guess would be that what you are suggesting is non-trivial with the PCB. The simplest solution would be to yank the whole thing out and replace all the pots, etc. Then you could do whatever you wanted. If you ever decided to sell it you could just drop the original system in there and be done with it.

duhvoodooman
June 11th, 2009, 01:52 PM
OK, I understand now.

Unless I could see a schematic for the new PCB-based control system, I wouldn't have the vaguest idea how to advise you in modifying it.

Marnold's idea may be the best alternative--simply remove it and replace with a traditional P-to-P system of pots and 3-way switch.

Jimi75
June 11th, 2009, 02:34 PM
To get some rumors out of the way....here's the guts of my Les Paul Traditional, no PCB board, everything "traditional" with original Gibson pods and caps.

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/5063/goldtoppaula005.jpg

Kazz
June 11th, 2009, 02:50 PM
IS this one of those robot auto tuning guitars is that why it has the circuit board in it?

mrmudcat
June 11th, 2009, 03:18 PM
Something odd with this thread!:whatever:

Kazz
June 11th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Something odd with this thread!:whatever:

I remember that smilie when I had that neck issue with my Tele :poke:

gdw3
June 11th, 2009, 11:43 PM
Wow, o.k.... Thought I was being really clear here, but apparently people aren't reading my entire post, or just not getting it.

It's a Les Paul Standard. Period. In 2008, they started using circuit boards instead of point to point. If you go to this page: LP Standard (http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/2008-Les-Paul-Standard.aspx) and load the "360 degree" view, you can turn it around to the back and sort of see thru the clear cavity cover that they put on it.

The tech support at Gibson told me it's possible to re-wire it to make a master volume, but didn't have instructions. Obviously, I could pull them all out and put new electronics in it, but I was wondering if anybody on this forum has messed with the new stuff successfully.

Ro3b
June 12th, 2009, 06:49 AM
Yeah, the LP "Traditional" is the only current Les Paul model with point-to-point wiring. All the others have the PCB. From a manufacturing point of view it makes good sense, but of course you can't mod the thing without either rewiring it from the ground up or etching a new PCB.

marnold
June 12th, 2009, 08:27 AM
Wow, o.k.... Thought I was being really clear here, but apparently people aren't reading my entire post, or just not getting it.
Sorry my response was beneath you. I spent a good part of my lunch hour Googling on this and came up with absolutely nothing. The only suggestion that I found is yanking the whole thing out. My guess is that it is new enough that nobody has figured it out yet or they just haven't bothered. A pity, really, since I read that they are using very high quality pots in that system.

Another pointless innovation from the good people at Gibson.

gdw3
June 12th, 2009, 08:35 AM
Sorry my response was beneath you.

Your post was fine, marnold. It's the photo of the LP Trad that made no sense.

I would think exactly what you would, that you'd have to completely re-do it, if it weren't for the fact that Gibson tech support told me it was possible. I have my doubts....

marnold
June 12th, 2009, 12:20 PM
Your post was fine, marnold. It's the photo of the LP Trad that made no sense.

I would think exactly what you would, that you'd have to completely re-do it, if it weren't for the fact that Gibson tech support told me it was possible. I have my doubts....
Jimi just got one. Check the other threads. I think he was posting it just to make the point that his was not like that. I didn't even know that that was one of the differences between the Standard and Traditional until yesterday.

If I were at all clever with electronics (I'm not) or had a Les Paul Standard with one of those PCBs (I don't), I suppose it wouldn't be too hard to figure out how it's wired. Modding it would be a different issue. I'm also afraid that modding that PCB might potentially impact resale value. I'd be surprised if Gibson would want to give out any details. On another forum there was speculation that Gibson might start selling the PCB boards in different configurations for a plug-and-play swap. I can only imagine what they would charge for something like that.

Best of luck with your search. Make sure to post here if you find anything out!

gdw3
June 12th, 2009, 10:40 PM
Swappable PCBs might actually be an interesting idea for someone solder-challenged such as myself.

If I ever find anything other than "rip the guts out and start over", I'll be sure to post it!

Are there other reasons, besides the lack of mod-ability that folks don't like the PCB board in the LP?

marnold
June 13th, 2009, 07:48 AM
Are there other reasons, besides the lack of mod-ability that folks don't like the PCB board in the LP?
That'd be a big part of it. Another would be that it seems to be a cost-cutting move on a guitar that is over-priced (and yes, I realize that that term is relative and subject to much debate). I could see doing it on a cheap import guitar where margins are razor-thin. I would also wonder about the long-term reliability of those boards. Obviously, it's a non-issue for someone who is a bedroom player but for an actual working musician whose instruments are not always going to be handled with kid gloves, subjected to heating/cooling cycles in an airplane, etc., that might be a different issue. Time will tell.

Jimi75
June 13th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Sorry folks, I was maybe too quick reading and didn't want to disturb the discussion with my pix. I read the words "new LP" and for me there is the new Standard as well as the Traditional which is a new LP, too.

Gdw3, it's definietly possible to put out the PCB board and rewire. You can get a good set of RS caps and pots and do some nice 50's wiring. I think the Les Paul Forum might be the best plays to find someone who can exactly explain the procedure to you.

Take care and enjoy your Standard!

gdw3
June 14th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Thanks. Actually, the link above that duhvoodooman posted is really extensive as to diagrams for multiple wiring configs. Very nice.