PDA

View Full Version : yamaha sg 2000?????

bluesmann
June 10th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Hi you all....this is my first post on here and im wondering if any of you guys can help.i have a SG2000 made by yamaha and i think it was made in 1980, as i went onto a site that put it at that date when i gave the serial number. it is a brown burst colour, and iv got some pals that have the same guitar and everything about their guitars is the same as mine, like the feel and action and the general look. trouble is that the headstock is blank with no logo or any kind of decor on it ...just black. so it dont say yamaha on it. does anyone know why it would be this way? one guy said it might have been made special for some name player that wanted it blank?? someone else said that it might be a prototype of some sort?? if anyone can give me any more info it would be great. i will post some pixs when i suss out how to do it. Big Thanks in advance to you all:rockon:

Spudman
June 10th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Can you post a picture?

marnold
June 10th, 2009, 09:24 PM
Does it look anything like this?
http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2009/Apr/Yamaha_SG2000.aspx

Or this?
021GZPyQCts

bluesmann
June 11th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Hi guys thanks for getting back to me.the guitar is the same as the one in that video posted,apart from the headstock which is blank. i will post pics this weekend. also on the nut their is a small bit of plastic sticking up about 5mm in between the g and the d strings? like it might be for a cappo or something ?? not normal, iv had the guitar since 1992 and bought it in a shop in clapham south-london called "southside music" the guy in the shop said the guy that sold it to them also had a green sg 2000, but it had all the headstock flower and the yamaha name on it. and said it might have belonged to someone that had it made special for them.my sg does not have the coil taps on the tone pots either. cheers for now

aeolian
June 11th, 2009, 06:00 PM
I bought a Yamaha SG1500 (essentially an SG2000 but with chrome hardware and dots on the neck) in 1976. The headstock looks like this:

http://home.comcast.net/~kitn13/YAMAHA3.JPG

The only differences an SG2000 should have are gold tuners and a truss rod plate that says "SG2000." Mine has stamped down the middle of the back of the headstock the serial number and "Made in Japan." My serial number is in the 1600s. Although it is not politically correct in this day and age, the original booklet that came with the guitar pointed out that the nut is ivory.

Hope that helps.

bluesmann
June 12th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Hi guys, iv managed to upload 1 photo of the guitar, as you can see the headstock is blank?? i have more photos, closeups of the binding,headstock, body, and the nut. i have to reduce the size of them before i can upload them. just trying to do that now,but only managed one. you can see it by looking at my photos,i dont know how to make them visable on the post yet. cheers and beers.

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/100704a3279bbef5f0.jpg

Spudman
June 12th, 2009, 10:42 AM
It sure appears to be a 2000. Maybe the headstock has been repaired?

marnold
June 12th, 2009, 12:11 PM
I was going to guess replacement neck, but aren't those set-neck or neck-through? Headstock repair would be an excellent guess, Spud.

sumitomo
June 12th, 2009, 12:56 PM
I'm thinkin a simple debadging,I do it to all my cars keeps em guessing.Sumi:D

bluesmann
June 12th, 2009, 05:16 PM
HI thanks for all replys,the truss rod cover is also blank, and their is no marks on the headstock of it being debadged. its a through neck,and if the headstock or neck has been repaired, their is no repair marks?? plus the through neck centre piece looks un touched also.the binding on the neck and headstock looks like its not been messed with.it also plays realy good with no tuning probs. do you think yamaha would know anything about it?? and does anyone know who to contact at yamaha? thanks once again guys. cheers an beers.

aeolian
June 15th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Is there a serial number stamped on the back of the headstock? Like I mentioned on my post my SG1500 has the serial number on the first line, and then "Made in Japan" on the second line stamped down the middle of the back of the headstock between the tuners. If there is a serial number that can also help trace the lineage of your guitar.

bluesmann
June 15th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Hi Aeolian, yes it does have the serial number and "made in japan" in the place you said.... iv been on the vintage guitar webb page and it seems that with the serial number i put in , it turns out to have been made in december 1980. but i would realy like to know why it dont have yamaha and the flower inlay on the headstock. a few of the guitar shops in scotland have looked at the axe, and thay cant come up with an answer, but thay all want to buy it off me. as it plays realy well with super low action and no buzz. i have 9 gauge strings on it just now. i like quite high action on a guitar, but i just wanted to see how low i could go with the sg befour it would buzz. i dont gig this guitar anymore cos i dont want anything to happen to it. but last time i had it at a gig, this guy offered me silly money for it. i was tempted cos 2 and a half thousand quid can buy lots of sweeties.lol cheers an beers

aeolian
June 15th, 2009, 05:38 PM
I can safely say your SG2000 is the genuine article from the picture you posted and the information on the serial number. 2,500 pounds is a significant sum; you have a nice investment in your possession. As to why there is no adornment on the headstock I really can't even guess, but whatever the reason is it should make for an interesting story.

Have you tried contacting Yamaha to see if they have any information? This will certainly be a long shot since Yamaha is such a huge company and we are talking about events from 30 years ago.

bluesmann
June 15th, 2009, 06:02 PM
yeah iv tryed to contact yamaha but not sure what part of the site would deal with 30 year old guitars? would like to know if their are any other sites that you could can think of that would be able to help? im not wanting to sell this guitar, just want to find out about it. like you say it may have a nice story to go with it. im hoping that someone that used to own it will see this thred and maybe complete the story.

Brian Krashpad
June 17th, 2009, 06:02 AM
Wow, that's interesting.

Maybe badge-putter-onner guy was absent from the factory that day.

guyp422
March 20th, 2011, 02:05 PM
I dont know if anyone has ever seen one of these guitars with a khaller trem and a khaller locking nut on it from the factory . I realize that no one has been in here in a couple of years but maybe I will get some info I just bought this guitar it is beat up looks like crap, extremely heavy sounds better than any guitar I have ever had. I also have a fender flame that is awesome I think they tie I also think they were built by the same people. Anyway just register and you can post you dont have to wait. My guitar is a 1978 the serial number is in the high 15s

DeanEVO_Dude
March 20th, 2011, 09:36 PM
I wonder if a prevous owner was a name snob... Had the Yamaha stuff sanded off and refinnished? I don't ever recall seeing pics of these without the name on the head... Yamaha was prety proud of these guitars, with good reason, so it would seem unlikely that it would have come from the factory like that, but...

Sweet lookin' axe, by the way, a real quality chunk of timber.

deeaa
March 21st, 2011, 01:06 AM
What? 2,500;- ? I was just offered one of these a while back for 400 but I declined due to lack of funds. It was a very nice guitar, though.
I'd sell it in a heartbeat for half that kind of money :-)

ZMAN
March 21st, 2011, 07:08 AM
Hi Aeolian, yes it does have the serial number and "made in japan" in the place you said.... iv been on the vintage guitar webb page and it seems that with the serial number i put in , it turns out to have been made in december 1980. but i would realy like to know why it dont have yamaha and the flower inlay on the headstock. a few of the guitar shops in scotland have looked at the axe, and thay cant come up with an answer, but thay all want to buy it off me. as it plays realy well with super low action and no buzz. i have 9 gauge strings on it just now. i like quite high action on a guitar, but i just wanted to see how low i could go with the sg befour it would buzz. i dont gig this guitar anymore cos i dont want anything to happen to it. but last time i had it at a gig, this guy offered me silly money for it. i was tempted cos 2 and a half thousand quid can buy lots of sweeties.lol cheers an beers
Most of the guitar manufacturers won't be able to answer questions about 30 year old guitars. They had very little information. Also most of the people who worked on those guitars are probably gone now. I find this even with the big names like Fender and Gibson. I recently discovered that a guitar I have owned for 42 years is missing the Dot on the"i" on the Gibson logo. I never noticed it until two days ago. I have since heard of at least one other from that year with this situation, and others that have it. Is there any way you can track down previous owners?
BTW. I was born in Dundee.

oldguy
March 21st, 2011, 06:27 PM
I dont know if anyone has ever seen one of these guitars with a khaller trem and a khaller locking nut on it from the factory . I realize that no one has been in here in a couple of years but maybe I will get some info I just bought this guitar it is beat up looks like crap, extremely heavy sounds better than any guitar I have ever had. I also have a fender flame that is awesome I think they tie I also think they were built by the same people. Anyway just register and you can post you dont have to wait. My guitar is a 1978 the serial number is in the high 15s

I realize you posted to a year and a half old thread, but I'm a bit puzzled. Are you seeking info on the guitar for your E-bay listing, or just info in general?
I guess the line about "just register and you can post you dont have to wait" is what's confusing to me.