PDA

View Full Version : I dimed the JTM & The Paul

Jimi75
June 11th, 2009, 08:18 AM
Well, yesterday and today I went to the rehearsal room to find my sound with the LP. When I went yesterday, I left/forget my Fulltone OCD at home. I was to lazy to ride back home and get it, becuase it's a 35 minutes ride and it was already 10 in the night. I went plugged in without a pedal attached, I plugged in the high treble 1 channel, no channel jumping, and then I thought why not dime the JTM45....the experience was breathtaking. I cvould hardly believe how gorgeous the sound was, I never ever had such an overdrive with any other guitar or amph. Folks, I have to try to get that on video, this is pure Clapton Beano Sound, Peter Green, Free, Mike Bloomfield, Freddie King, everything in there, controlable feedback and overtones to die for! Backing the volume...crisp and mellow cleans. Usually, the JTM seems very bass heavy, but being played so loud the sound opened up. This gave me an almost sleepless night, because the Les Paul is so beautiful and versatile with a dimed amph that I consider getting an attenuator very soon. Anyways, I also had to find an alternative with pedals at lower volume, volumes that I ususally play, so I went again today with my son who accompanied me on drums. I don't know why, but something told me to take the Ibanez TS9 with me that I hadn't used since I bought the OCD. Well, honestly, the OCD does sound better with a Strat, no question., but I need it to get that slight overdrive for my cleans so that licks are easier to play. When I kicked in the TS9 I was purely blown away. The Gold Top and the TS9 are a deadly good couple. I love the lead tones you get out of it. I have to compromise, because the TS9 is not that good in the cleans, but hey I have both pedals in a chain right now and the Les Paul is a darn darn versatile guitar. At the moment (you all know this can change in a few months) this is the best combination for the Blues, I lose a little bit bite and "cutty-throughness" on the clean end, but I gain hell of a lot on the medium overdriven and overdriven side, playing with volume and tone shows that this guitar is a versatile monster! By the way, it was the first time really that my son played the drums, he did very good and played a blues with me, so be prepared for an upcoming video of the youngster :-)

By the way, all plans to "pimp" the Les Paul ar frozen at the moment, this guitar sound great the way it is. (Please bear in mind, also this opinion is subject to change *lol*)

Thanks for listening :AOK:

marnold
June 11th, 2009, 08:30 AM
Hard to argue with a dimed Marshall! The question is: can you hear anything? I said, "Can you hear anything?"

mrmudcat
June 11th, 2009, 08:43 AM
:master: :master: :rockon:

bigoldron
June 11th, 2009, 08:44 AM
Hard to argue with a dimed Marshall! The question is: can you hear anything? I said, "Can you hear anything?"

What'd he say??? Seriously Jimi, I can only imagine how good that combo sounds right now! Enjoy it while you can, because, as you said, it's always subject to change. ;)

tjcurtin1
June 11th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Thanks for listening?! We'd love to, but you have to give us something to listen to! C'mon, Jimi - my imagination isn't that good!

M29
June 11th, 2009, 08:56 PM
The inexhaustible quest for the ultimate tone......I think you found it Jimi...I wish we could hear it :poke:

M

Blaze
June 11th, 2009, 09:21 PM
Clip Clip Clip !!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2173/1902430955_a6d9662b06_b.jpg

sumitomo
June 12th, 2009, 07:29 AM
I knew when you got that there was gunna be some sleepless nights.Cool keep the hair on the back of your neck standing.Sumi:D

Plank_Spanker
June 12th, 2009, 09:04 AM
Jimi,

My Germino is the same way - a tad bassy until you open it up......................and the fun begins! :D A race horse not happy to just trot.

As for attenuators, I use a THD Hot Plate. It works well with just a notch or two of attenuation. Any more and it squashes the sound.

Congratulations on discovering sonic nirvana. :AOK: