PDA

View Full Version : I Said Goodbye to a Friend

just strum
June 11th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Last night I met up with a number of old friends to grab a bite to eat and talk about our friend that passed away on Sunday. After we ate, we drove down the street and met up with many more friends. Before entering the funeral home, we stood around outside to talk about our friend Bob. Many of us hadn't seen each other in months and as long as years, but although the circumstances weren't the best, we met again with a common desire to say goodbye to a good friend.

As we entered the building, we initially thought there was a group of people mingling in the entry area, but we quickly found out that is where you got in line. As word passed down the line "be patient, the wait to the viewing area was at least an hour".

So for that hour we slowly moved down one hall, into another, and finally into a large room with a line about another 20 minutes of waiting to finally get up to the viewing area. During that time you heard lots of laughter as people told stories about when they met Bob, when they traveled with Bob, when Bob yelled at them (everyone had at least one story of Bob yelling at them).

Once we reached the front of the large room, there was a display that represented a part of Bob that many of us knew, and parts of Bob most of us did not. On one stand there was a bottle of Beefeater gin, a pack of Camels, small pink flamingo's (he loved them for some reason that to this day I do not know the story behind it). There were a couple of Hawaiian style shirts hanging in various spots (many people wore Hawaiian shirts to honor him). Some pictures of him when he was in the Navy, pictures of his wedding day, pictures with his family.

A couple of years ago Bob had to go out to California to help with a move of a company we had purchased. Someone back at work made a life size blowup pic of Bob's face and tapped a straw to the back of it so you could hold it up as a mask. About 40 of us got together and had a picture taken of 40 Bob's standing in the cafeteria area and we sent it to Bob. It was great to see one of those masks displayed on one of the stands.

I was very fortunate to have met the members of Bob's family a number of years ago and watched his sons grow into young men. His wife stood their very proud of her husband. We talked about Bob, joked about him always getting the last laugh and eventually are eyes started to gather tears.

I moved on to the oldest son (20 years old) and told him that he needs to take care of his mom and his younger brother. He signed up for the Navy back in December and was due to leave next month. I told him that the last time I talked face to face with his Dad, he told me how proud he was of him joining the Navy. Matt decided to postpone entering into the Navy for one year, but hopefully he will follow through.

Finally I talked to the youngest son (18) and it was obvious he was the one having the most difficult time. We talked about his Dad's final days and how difficult it was for him to watch him slip away. Although he was having a difficult time, there was a sense of "I'll get through this" in his voice.

I know Bob for 15+ years. He wanted people to think he was mean, he wanted people to think he was grumpy, but he would do anything to help a friend.

It was a wonderful sight to see that so many people saw through Bob's crusty exterior and recognized a wonderful individual.

I know this will mean little to all of you, but I felt the need to write it and felt it would be accepted in this forum.

evenkeel
June 11th, 2009, 05:04 PM
Sad but wonderful story Strum. Took some courage to share it and it is much appreciated.

ted s
June 11th, 2009, 05:28 PM
Thanks for sharing Mark. I'm sure many can relate to friend like Bob, thanks for the reminder.

oldguy
June 11th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Strum,
Sorry to hear of your friend passing away. I'm sure he will be remembered by friends and family for years to come, he sounds like some of the friends I've lost the past few years, and my sympathy to you, his family, and all who knew him.

mrmudcat
June 11th, 2009, 05:43 PM
I am sure he is in a better place:smile-us:

tjcurtin1
June 11th, 2009, 07:40 PM
Clearly, he meant a lot to a lot of people for a turnout like that - and his life clearly touched you deeply, too, Mark. Thanks for sharing that; we might not have known Bob, but the feelings you relate are pretty universal for someone whose life meant something to others.

Ted

street music
June 11th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Strum, sorry to hear about your friend. I'm sure he meant alot to those who knew him. I hope his family realize just how important friends can be at a time like that.
I wonder how it will be when I pass on, I want a music celebration of my life rather than tears of sadness.

Jimi75
June 12th, 2009, 02:30 AM
Thanks for sharing this moment with us. Your story really touched me.

syo
June 12th, 2009, 02:59 AM
I know this will mean little to all of you, but I felt the need to write it and felt it would be accepted in this forum.

Quite the opposite Strum. Your love for your friend touched me very much. As Ted said the feelings are universal and I am very sorry to hear of the loss of your friend. I should think with a line that long to say goodbye, Bob's was a life well lived. I should think that fact makes his passing all the more difficult.

Peace, Strum.

tot_Ou_tard
June 12th, 2009, 05:08 AM
I also appreciate the story. Thanks Strum.

Maybe he liked flamingos for the same reason that he liked Hawaiian shirts. Maybe he was enamored with tropical climes. That wouldn't be a stretch in Ohio.

Robert
June 12th, 2009, 07:08 AM
Thanks for sharing this story. It is always difficult to say goodbye.

sumitomo
June 12th, 2009, 07:34 AM
That is great that he had so many friends and all,but Strum the way you wrote this was fantastic,I felt like I was there,like I was reading a book.I wish I could explain things like what you wrote.Sumi:D

piebaldpython
June 12th, 2009, 08:54 AM
Thanks for the touching story Strum.

sunvalleylaw
June 12th, 2009, 09:25 AM
Mark, I am sorry about your friend. It sounds like he lived a good life and had a good send off.

luvmyshiner
June 12th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Sorry for your loss Strummy.

just strum
June 12th, 2009, 11:03 AM
Thanks folks. There is no need to be sorry. Despite a disease, Bob still managed to check out on his terms.

It was great to hear all the laughter while standing in line - it reflected the joy and humor he brought to those that knew him.

Monkus
June 12th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Great experience Strum, thanks for sharing...

just strum
June 12th, 2009, 05:08 PM
We use to have a golf outing every year where I worked. Most of us were not golfers (I attempted), but we always enjoyed ourselves.

Bob never golfed or it was a 1,000 years since his last attempt, but we managed to talk him into joining us. He commented that he really didn't have any golf clothing and we explained a pair of shorts and a collared shirt will be fine.

A few of us got together and arrange to have a pair of pants made, bought some matching sox, shirt and we got him a pair of golf shoes.

Ladies and Gentlemen, meet Bob

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/Swindell-1.jpg

No, we didn't buy him a car too.

tjcurtin1
June 12th, 2009, 05:24 PM
He looks like quite a character!

just strum
June 12th, 2009, 05:35 PM
I sent an email to where I use to work requesting this pic.

When I got home I had an email with it attached. When I opened it I realized even more how much I miss him - God do I miss him.

bigoldron
June 12th, 2009, 07:21 PM
Mark, I'm sorry for your loss. My heroes have always been grumpy old farts, curmudgeons, and the like, which might explain why I act like I do. It sounds like your friend would fit this bill too. Acts tough, but would do anything for you.

What really stands out for me is that apparently, everybody saw through his grumpiness and saw him for what he really was, a really good guy. The number that turned out for the visitation is evidence enough of that. That's what we all hope for, is that when we go, we're remembered as well as your friend was. As Muddie said, he's definitely in a better place.

Childbride
June 12th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Strummy, i am sorry for your loss.

baldgit
June 16th, 2009, 03:19 PM
I am sorry to hear of the loss of your friend.....Dan

Brian Krashpad
June 17th, 2009, 11:12 AM
My condolences Mark.

Sounds like he lived a full life.