PDA

View Full Version : Head East - Never Been Any Reason - For Friday

sunvalleylaw
June 12th, 2009, 09:36 AM
This was a staple of the party tape mixes made for the parties at my UofWa fraternity in the early '80s. When the drum "solo" at about 4:07 and 4:20, all the boys and girls would run to the wall, which was wall papered with a billboard sized version of the "Black Velvet Lady", and pound on her with their hands. Lots of guys doing "Air Keyboard" standing on a bench at the side of the room, people yelling to the words: "have you ever been lonely - NEVER!, Do you have any fun?! - ALWAYS!!" LOL!!! Young folks having tons of fun experiencing freedom away from home. The song just reeks Friday to me. Here it is live in '07

pjhP9omPosg&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjhP9omPosg&feature=related

Here is a link to the original studio audio only. They did a good job live I think, after all these years, but the studio version is tighter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyoknbvXlwM The info says the vid is not them. I have no idea sho it is,.

Spudman
June 12th, 2009, 09:53 AM
Man! There is a ton of memories right there. Good call Steveo.

M29
June 12th, 2009, 12:46 PM
Cool Steve, I have always loved this song, I have it on a cheap wal mart pod that I play all the time. Definitely an action tune!!!

M

R_of_G
June 12th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Good one Steve.

Like most songs that were in the film, I associate this one with Richard Linklater's Dazed & Confused, which is a good association because it's one of my favorite films ever.

bigoldron
June 12th, 2009, 06:25 PM
Good one Steve.

Like most songs that were in the film, I associate this one with Richard Linklater's Dazed & Confused, which is a good association because it's one of my favorite films ever.

Except for the paddling the freshmen part, that movie was WAY too scarily familiar. I graduated high school in 1979 and I can pretty much name somebody here that was also in that movie. We were in a small town and our big thrill was riding around (drinking of course) and we'd eventually wind up at the river or a similar spot. Aaah, memories... (OK, so some of it I don't remember. ;) )

sunvalleylaw
May 3rd, 2010, 10:29 PM
I am heading to a college reunion of my fraternity brothers, Class of 1985, in a couple weeks. This song, though released before the '80s, was a part of almost every party tape we made to play in our bar room, which was set up with refrigerated kegs and tap lines, a dance floor, HUGE speakers and stereo, and was wall papered with the current version of the Black Velvet lady billboard. LOL!

This song was mixed in with stuff like Talking Heads, Clash, Elvis Costello, Beatles, Stones, even a Seger tune (on the road again, for a slow song), Springsteen, B52's, Romantics, U2, AC/DC, all sorts of stuff. But when this song came on, it always filled the floor. Our parties were the dancing kind, and lots of girls showed up because of it.

So I gotta dig this one up yet again, and replace the removed vid of the live version above with this one. Enjoy!

dIRP4gydheQ&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIRP4gydheQ&feature=related

mainestratman
May 4th, 2010, 04:02 AM
Well damn... I thought you were coming to Maine, SVL. Was going to clear my calendar for your arrival. :-)

guitarhack
May 4th, 2010, 04:35 AM
Great band. Saw them open for REO in the '70s when I was in college.

MichaelE
May 4th, 2010, 06:42 AM
Those guys are from the area where I live now. They ex keyboard player and sound tech still come into my store.

The first time they were in I didn't know who they were. One of them had on a Soundcraft t-shirt and I commented on it. That's when I found out who they were.

Both very nice guys. I don't know what either of them are doing now.

BigJD
May 4th, 2010, 07:12 AM
Our band does a version by a band called Slik.It's the drummer from Head East. We had the honor of opening for them ( Head East) about 5yrs ago. Nice guys.