PDA

View Full Version : ever done a gig when feeling sick?

Lev
June 13th, 2009, 09:50 AM
I've a gig tonight in my home town, it's in a great music bar & I've lots of family and friends coming to see us. The only problem is that since last night I've been feeling really unwell, I've had the cold sweats and a sore throat. I've been looking forward to this gig for so long, I really can't believe that I'm not going to be 100%.

Anyway, I'm hoping adrenalin will get me through (along with half a dozen paracetemol). I'll let you know how it went tomorrow. The show must go on!

Jimi75
June 13th, 2009, 10:58 AM
Yeah Lev, I know what'ya talking about. Played two times when I was sick. Took some Aspirin and as soon as the gig started the sickness was blown away for 2 hours.

just strum
June 13th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Jimi may have introduced a medical breakthrough - never stop playing, never get sick.

Worth trying.

Rocket
June 13th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Sick, sutures, infections, hemorrhoids, kidney stones, broken bones, mentally impaired... always something!

pes_laul
June 13th, 2009, 12:05 PM
Yeah I've been there once.

are you the singer?

If not then you won't have to worry too much. like they said adrenaline will probably make it blow away.

R_of_G
June 13th, 2009, 12:40 PM
I've had the cold sweats ...

You can make the band play this...

82qBXHMpNHI

Seriously though, I hope you feel better soon and I hope the gig goes well for you.

ted s
June 13th, 2009, 12:57 PM
Gotta have the shoes and suit though.
C'mon Lev, ya gotta do it like that.. good gawd ! heh !

bigoldron
June 13th, 2009, 03:24 PM
Good luck, Lev! Hope you get to feeling better!

Spudman
June 13th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Is it swine flu?:confused: ;)

I once had walking pneumonia and bronchitis while on the road and I was fronting the band 50% of the time. If I didn't show there was no way to get through the night (job security;) ). There was Grand Master Kata champion that was a bouncer at the club and I had made friends with him. His mental encouragement kept me going so that we didn't loose the gig. It was incredibly painful to get through but I did somehow. I now feel pain qualified to give child birth because my pain lasted days and child birth is only hours. Does that make me tougher and more of a man? Probably not but I do know now that I can push myself further than I thought - not that I ever want to again to that extreme.

For what it's worth Clapton recorded "Before You Accuse Me" while very sick and it actually turned out pretty good. So even though you feel like poop you probably are still sounding good.:AOK:

tremoloman
June 13th, 2009, 11:13 PM
I played with bronchitis for 6 months. It was a struggle to say the least. But as they say... "the show must go on!"

Lev
June 14th, 2009, 02:26 AM
Thanks for the encouragement guys! The gig went pretty well in the end. My energy levels were a bit low and I lost concentration a couple of times causing me to play a couple of bum notes but no one seemed to notice. Feedback was good from the crowd and we've been asked to come back in August. So not a bad nights work even though it was a real struggle for me.

Jimi75
June 14th, 2009, 02:35 AM
Thanks for the encouragement guys! The gig went pretty well in the end. My energy levels were a bit low and I lost concentration a couple of times causing me to play a couple of bum notes but no one seemed to notice. Feedback was good from the crowd and we've been asked to come back in August. So not a bad nights work even though it was a real struggle for me.

Good to hear that it went well. Tough guy ;)

Plank_Spanker
June 14th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Played a gig last spring with the flu and a 103 degree temperature. It was like playing "out of body", but I pulled it off. I was wasted after that gig for a few days.

oldguy
June 14th, 2009, 05:41 PM
Glad you make it through the gig, Lev!:AOK:
I played a gig once when I had influenza, had to go outside and throw up twice, sick as he!!, but made it through, although I had to get a chair up onstage the last set, I was too weak to stand. I played another one with the tip of my left hand index finger sliced off (thank goodness for slides), but without me the band wouldn't have had a lead player, so I did it.:thwap:

bigoldron
June 14th, 2009, 07:26 PM
I did play sick once. March of 2008, we had one of our "5th Sunday Night Sings" and our youth praise band played. I had gotten out of the hospital the day before with a really bad sinus infection and bronchitis. In the hospital, I had been on really strong steroids and breathing treatments for 3 or 4 days. I was still on heavy steroids and breathing treatments at home after getting out, so needless to say, I was a LITTLE bit loopy and wired up that night.

The kids told me later that I was playing a little (OK a lot) faster than normal and I KNOW I was babbling like an idiot in the mic introducing the songs. I told everybody to overlook me, 'cause I was still (legally) doped up. :D

sunvalleylaw
June 14th, 2009, 10:32 PM

Way to fight through it and deliver a yeoman like commitment and performance! :AOK: