PDA

View Full Version : Report from Chicago Blues Festival

birv2
June 13th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Bob here reporting live from the home of the blues....

After only one day at the festival, I've already seen enough great guitarists to last me the rest of the year. In no particular order: Andrew Jr Boy Jones, Eddie C Campbell, Charlie Musselwhite's guitarist (didn't get his name), Carlos Johnson, Tom Holland....

Seriously, if you're a blues guitar fan, you owe it to yourself to make this pilgrimage.

And here's the other thing -- not too many pedals in sight! Lots of guitar into amp stuff. The amateurs all have strats and teles, but the pros seem to play all kinds of different stuff: Jaguars, St Blues, PRS...

More to come.

just strum
June 13th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Hey, we have our own "Live at the scene" reporter.

Looking forward to some reports.

Until then:

http://www.explorechicago.org/city/en/things_see_do/event_landing/special_events/mose/chicago_blues_festival.html

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/chi-090612-chicago-blues-festival-2009-pictures,0,5955861.photogallery

Jimi75
June 13th, 2009, 11:50 AM
I really wish I could be there, but over 10thousand miles from my home to Chicago...

Anyways, I don't know one of the players you mentioned above, but I could swear all of them are killer Blues players who have spent nights and nights playing millions of variations of turnarounds and standards!

tot_Ou_tard
June 14th, 2009, 07:19 AM
How did the St Blues sound? Those guitars intrigue me.

birv2
June 14th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Anyways, I don't know one of the players you mentioned above, but I could swear all of them are killer Blues players who have spent nights and nights playing millions of variations of turnarounds and standards!

You're right about that! Truly unbelievable level of musicianship. I guess it's probably like Nashville is in country music.

Yesterday we heard John Primer, Travis Moonchild Haddix, Terry Harmonica Bean, Eddie C Campbell (at his CD release party), Rockin Johnny, and an absolutely slamming local band who hosted a jam on one of the stages (several of the players were from Chico Banks' band).

Besides the fact that all of these musicians are great in their own right, they know how to "play well with others". The Chicago blues sound is very much ensemble playing, so they listen to each other, don't step on each others toes, and know how to fill in space but also how to leave space. If you know what I mean. It's truly a pleasure to listen to!

Oh, tot, I really liked the sounds of the St Blues guitars. Mind you, Tom Holland, an excellent player, was playing them. But I was really intrigued by them.

mrmudcat
June 14th, 2009, 03:19 PM
"The amateurs all have strats and teles....."

Phew glad I qualify:D :rotflmao:

oldguy
June 14th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Me, too, Muddy!:rotflmao:

tot_Ou_tard
June 14th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Oh, tot, I really liked the sounds of the St Blues guitars. Mind you, Tom Holland, an excellent player, was playing them. But I was really intrigued by them.
Cool, do you know which model it was?

birv2
June 14th, 2009, 07:31 PM
"The amateurs all have strats and teles....."

Phew glad I qualify:D :rotflmao:

I proudly count myself in that company.

:)

birv2
June 15th, 2009, 06:27 PM
More later about guitarists, but just had to shoot off a quick post before heading out to the jam at Buddy Guy's.

We visited the Chicago Music Exchange, which sells vintage, used, and new guitars, amps, etc. They had a 54 Strat in a display case, and the guy helping us asked me if I wanted to play it. Let me think now.....

I took it into the Fender amp room, plugged it into a RI Deluxe Reverb and played for about 10 minutes. My heart is still pounding. Played and sounded like a dream (come to think of it, maybe it was a dream). One rational thought I had was that my custom shop 54 pickups in my JV strat actually do sound remarkably like it! Similar, but not identical.

The serial # was 927. Current asking price is around 85K.

So now if I get hit by a bus tonight, I can die happy.

:bravo:

Bob

birv2
June 16th, 2009, 12:54 AM
Earlier tonight at the jam at Buddy Guy's. I'm the one on the left.

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/thum_21164a3741206b0e7.jpg (http://www.thefret.net/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=1131)

bigG
June 16th, 2009, 08:00 AM
Earlier tonight at the jam at Buddy Guy's. I'm the one on the left.

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/thum_21164a3741206b0e7.jpg (http://www.thefret.net/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=1131)

VERY cool, Bob, very cool! Thanks for keeping us up-to-date, and our tongues hangin' out n' droolin' !!!! :dude: :bravo: :beer:

birv2
June 16th, 2009, 10:58 AM
VERY cool, Bob, very cool! Thanks for keeping us up-to-date, and our tongues hangin' out n' droolin' !!!! :dude: :bravo: :beer:

Thanks! It was truly a one-in-a-lifetime experience. Though I hope to do it again someday.

A couple of things about the photo -- 1. I'm sitting down because I forgot to get a strap when I rented the guitar. 2. I hardly looked up at all (major faux pas brought on by nerves). 3. The guy on the right was introduced as the "future of the blues": Eric "Guitar" Davis. Watch for him. He's a monster.

birv2
June 17th, 2009, 06:41 PM
Final report from the Chicago Bluesfest --

All in all, a great experience. I have to say that the best blues musicians were in the clubs at night. Much better than the lineup at the festival, actually. Your chances of seeing a great blues band on any given night in any given club are pretty good.

Had to mention one we saw at B.L.U.E.S. on Halstead. They were called Biscuit and the Mix. I had never heard of them, but they put on a terrific show. Biscuit is the leader and bass player. High energy, very musical, blues/soul/funk, with a pair of very talented young guitarists. They did a Temptations medley that was simply amazing, featuring dance moves on the tiny stage!

The jam at Buddy Guy's was awesome. Jimmie Burns led the jam, and his band was smooth and tasty. Buddy was in the house and even got up to sing a few numbers, an unexpected treat. I played with a young guitarist named Eric Davis, who was introduced as "the future of the blues". I believe it. You'll be hearing from him. I felt pretty intimidated, but my friend told me that I "tore it up", so I guess I held my own. Just to be on that stage was an experience I won't forget.

Oh, and some amp content -- pretty much every stage, in the clubs and at the festival, had a Deluxe Reverb (RI) and a Twin (RI). Not too many pedals in sight, though Eric Davis played through a Jekyll and Hyde. Draw your own conclusions.

So, if you love blues, or just live music in general, you owe it to yourself to visit Chicago some day. I can't wait to go back.