PDA

View Full Version : "Resurrection" of a piece of gear

Jimi75
June 13th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Do you own a piece of gear that you had no plans to use again and then came its ressurection?

For me it's my Ibanez TS-9. I have played it several years and came to a point where I was simply fat up with the sound. After I bought the Fulltone OCD, I was sure that I was going to sell the TS-9. It was simply out of my mind. Then last week, I pulled it out of the corner it had rested for so long and played it again with my Les Paul. Well, since yesterday's rehearsal it's definite - the TS-9 is back in the game again. Puhhh, it was pure luck that I haven't put it up on the bay already, because this was planned for tomorrow usually.

What was your piece of gear the raised from the "dead"? Maybe a guitar, maybe also an accessory? Let us know...

sunvalleylaw
June 13th, 2009, 04:36 PM
Haven't played long enough to claim on really, but after I had all but dumped my Boss DS-1 in favor of my rabid rodent, I found that I still like to hook it up with my chorus if I want to make Cobain like noise. I am not in favor of the DS-1 by itself as compared with the Rodent, but with the Chorus . . .

Spudman
June 13th, 2009, 07:05 PM
I have 2 pieces.

One is the Pro Co Rat. I just couldn't figure it out for the longest time. I never understood the hype. One day I needed some dirt for a fairly clean amph and I hooked the Rat up and started playing with it. I found a fairly acceptable sound after a while and left it hooked up to the amp. As weeks and months went on I kept fiddling with the knobs and I kept liking it more and more until I go to the point where I realized how stupid I was to ever want to get rid of it. It's now a keeper for sure.

The second is the MXR gray flanger. I had this on my board for the longest time as I toured. I used it only in the spots where it was needed to cover songs. Eventually I put it away and quit using it. Occasionally I'll pull it out and in spite of the noise inherent to it realize what a truly unique and functional pedal it is. It's so simple to get those 1980s whooshing flanger sounds or the coffee can dry slap back or slight chorus. I've had the opportunity to sell it several times and whenever I hook it up I'm really glad that I never did.

bigG
June 13th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Don't know if this strictly applies, but I have an Ibanez acoustic and a Made in the USA Fender Bullet electric that I bought in the early 80s. Haven't played them in years. In fact, talk about not changing strings - these two guitars have had the same strings on them since 1983!

Well, just today, I took them both up to my guitar tech and had a new set of D'Addario's put on each. Man, it's like getting two new guitars! They both play and sound great! While there, I also picked up a Korg chromatic tuner and a 15' cable, which is really handy, as most of mine are 6' - 10'.

So I suppose you could say that those two gits were resurrected today! Although I never planned on selling them. GAS is satisfied w a couple new sets of strings, a tuner and a cable. :)

Also, and this was really cool. An elderly gent was in the store, trading a 50 y/o Harmony electric 6-string for a new mandolin. We got to talking, and the cat is 95 years old! We shared some pleasantries and chat abt life and music. Imagine taking on a new goal of learning to play a mandolin at 95! He also bought a Mel Bay instruction book for mandolin! Very cool! :D
He told me that music will keep you alive and be your best friend when depressed or in times of hardship (which I knew, but still true at 95!). He has been alone now for five years, and told me he wakes up every morning w a tune in his head and can't wait to get playin' first thing in the A.M...

Shredd Ed
June 22nd, 2009, 03:16 PM
Hi,

My Crybaby Wah-Wah.

Couldn't stop using it when I first got it but then, like an album that you listened to 1000 times, I got bored with endless soloing that all sounded the same. The battery ran out one time too many and it got tucked away.

Just got it out with a fresh battery and feeling the love all over again. :)

Ed

Tibernius
June 22nd, 2009, 04:03 PM
Mine would be my Telecaster.
I built from the remains of a BSB Squier Affinity with a new neck. Played it for a while, started playing more rock/metal rather than indie and just stopped playing it.
Tried it again today since I hadn't played it since I got my new amph. Tuned to DGDGBD (can't remember what it's called), with a slide, amp set to distort slightly when strummed hard enough. Sounded wonderful.
I had planned to replace the pickups with rail humbuckers at some point but I'm not so sure now.