PDA

View Full Version : Green Day on SNL

Blaze
June 13th, 2009, 09:38 PM
For Green day s fan,Will Farrell is the host ,now on NBC

bigG
June 14th, 2009, 02:05 AM
Blaze, I caught it. Very good. I've always liked Green Day (I'm a big power-pop fan). Very tight song, punkish but melodic, as is their wont. Not their best, but still way better than most current "popular" bands and music! :bravo:

Brian Krashpad
June 18th, 2009, 11:20 AM
Blaze, I caught it. Very good. I've always liked Green Day (I'm a big power-pop fan). Very tight song, punkish but melodic, as is their wont. Not their best, but still way better than most current "popular" bands and music! :bravo:

+1!

I was asleep in a chair and woke to them. Pleasant surprise.

sunvalleylaw
June 18th, 2009, 12:06 PM
I missed it, but here it is on youtube. Just someone's video camera pointed at their Vizio. Will probably get taken down soon.

XgyfWa432H8&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgyfWa432H8&feature=related

I cannot find it at NBC yet.

I just purchased the CD at Costco the other day, and am most of the way through it. They went back to the punk rock opera/concept album format. So far, I have a couple of favorites, and one track is truly Beatles inspired/sounding. "Restless Heart Syndrome" It almost cries out for a George style solo, but Greenday instead leaps from a more classic Beatles sound into a more distorted, GD power chord finish to the song. I will need to listen a couple of times to get a true feel. Very expressive, and the lyrics are of course designed to challenge and provoke thought. I have trouble with how they approach religion (well, I don't care so much about what they say about organized religion, but I get uncomfortable when it crosses over into faith and one's spirituality, and they definitely touch on religious themes and use the Lord's name.), but I sometimes struggle with that in popular music anyway. Certainly, they view it as their job to question authority, etc. I hope the above is not viewed as religious discussion, but just a thought in case anyone might want to check that aspect before listening to or buying the music.

sunvalleylaw
June 18th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Positive Rolling Stone review here:

http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/album/27796996/review/27809821/21st_century_breakdown

Spin's review (still positive but less glowing) here: http://www.spin.com/reviews/green-day-21st-century-breakdown-reprise My thought on them sounding like the Beatles, but resolving to Green Day power chords is echoed. LOL!

Lots of vid here of live work from the album at an Oakland show here: http://www.comcast.net/music/greenday/

pes_laul
June 18th, 2009, 04:52 PM
I think the thing I like about them most is that they put on a really good live show unlike most bands today.

t_ross33
June 20th, 2009, 11:05 AM
I think the thing I like about them most is that they put on a really good live show unlike most bands today.

Good to know as I'm going to see them July 7 :dude:

sunvalleylaw
July 6th, 2009, 11:15 AM
Here is a review of the new concert tour, which launched in Seattle on Friday, as reported by my old hometown paper, which is not so bad for a port town daily rag:

http://blogs.thenewstribune.com/ej/

It has some clips that may last only a while from the show in Seattle, and a decent review that seems fair. I for one would love to be going. Looks like Trev is in for a good time!. ;) Enjoy the clips while they last! :rockon: :rockon: :AOK:

helliott
July 6th, 2009, 09:52 PM
Not a fan, per se, but the new album is quite good. I liked Idiot, and in some ways this is as good in my view. Virtuosos, no, but extremely good and creative within that framework, absolutely.

Tone2TheBone
July 14th, 2009, 08:54 AM
Hard to top American Idiot but I think they've progressed very well with the new one. Always dug Green Day since the beginning.

t_ross33
July 14th, 2009, 02:13 PM
I have trouble with how they approach religion (well, I don't care so much about what they say about organized religion, but I get uncomfortable when it crosses over into faith and one's spirituality, and they definitely touch on religious themes and use the Lord's name.), but I sometimes struggle with that in popular music anyway. Certainly, they view it as their job to question authority, etc. I hope the above is not viewed as religious discussion, but just a thought in case anyone might want to check that aspect before listening to or buying the music.

I think the whole message in much of their music, at least since AI, is to find your own truth/path/faith/conscience and not let "the man/machine/media" dictate what you should think or feel. Kind of a "socialized anarchy" theme, if you will. I think it's healthy to at least question, if not rebel and I give them props for the maturity they've brought to the genre. I didn't really dig deep into American Idiot as an album, rather just enjoyed the collection of singles released but I realize with 21st Century Breakdown AND American Idiot, they are best enjoyed and understood in the context of the whole package.

Tone2TheBone
July 14th, 2009, 03:25 PM
I think the whole message in much of their music, at least since AI, is to find your own truth/path/faith/conscience and not let "the man/machine/media" dictate what you should think or feel. Kind of a "socialized anarchy" theme, if you will. I think it's healthy to at least question, if not rebel and I give them props for the maturity they've brought to the genre. I didn't really dig deep into American Idiot as an album, rather just enjoyed the collection of singles released but I realize with 21st Century Breakdown AND American Idiot, they are best enjoyed and understood in the context of the whole package.

I have to agree with this. I am a person of faith and spirituality so to speak but I do take their concepts with a grain of salt and just enjoy the ruckus for what it is. Little bit of Ying with my Yang I guess.

sunvalleylaw
July 14th, 2009, 03:35 PM
Yeah Trev and T2TB, I can dig both those points. Those are good ways to look at it, and I think it is their job to question things and make one think. I think on both albums they did a good job of that. I watched the PBS deal on Neil Young a few weeks back, and he said that when he wrote "Living with War" he wondered where the protest music was. I thought about it, and the only other artists I came up with in popular music was Green Day.

And Trev, American Idiot, and 21st Century Breakdown are both punk rock operas, so they definitely work best when listened to as albums. I love the irony of modern punks doing punk rock operas too. Breaking the rules about being a punk even. :D

t_ross33
July 14th, 2009, 09:46 PM
And Trev, American Idiot, and 21st Century Breakdown are both punk rock operas, so they definitely work best when listened to as albums. I love the irony of modern punks doing punk rock operas too. Breaking the rules about being a punk even. :D

When I was in grade 11 or 12, our English Lit class attended a production of Shakespear's "Hamlet" by the University of Saskatchewan's Drama department. The dialogue was straight from the book, but the setting/costumes etc. were all late 70/early 80's punk rock complete with mohawks and safety pins. It even opened with a live punk band playing Teenage Head covers :dude: