PDA

View Full Version : Lesson ideas - short licks in the style of famous guitarists?

Robert
June 14th, 2009, 07:52 AM
I was thinking the other idea about easy video lessons to create. Would short licks in the style of certain popular players be a good idea? I have already done BB King, Albert King and Freddie King style lessons, but I could expand this idea of course. Perhaps different music styles such as rock, jazz, country, etc and feature licks in the style of famous players in that genre.

What do you think? By the way, it is "safest" to do licks in the style of a player, instead of copying a lot of notes exactly, for copyright reasons. Some owners of copyrighted artists hit down hard on people who provide lessons online. If the lessons aren't exactly note for note as the original source, the coast is clear.

If you like this idea, feel free to suggest artist in this thread!

piebaldpython
June 14th, 2009, 08:11 AM
Great idea. ALBERT COLLINS would be my pick.

just strum
June 14th, 2009, 08:18 AM
I was just thinking about this yesterday. I was watching segments of some youtube clips pertaining to SRV (not to be confused with SVL) and was jumping around looking at technique of riffs and not concerned about the entire song.

So, I obviously like the idea.

sunvalleylaw
June 14th, 2009, 08:28 AM
. . . pertaining to SRV (not to be confused with SVL) . . .

So, I obviously like the idea.

LOL, I doubt there would be much confusion. :rotflmao: I like the idea too.

Jimi75
June 14th, 2009, 09:06 AM
Robert, didn't you cover Gary Moore and Jimi Hendrix, too already?
How 'bout some Robben Ford, Scott Henderson, Wes Montgomery?

Blaze
June 14th, 2009, 12:39 PM
The half whole diminished scale or symmetrical scale would be cool..

Should i ask for some Johnny Winter..

rkwrenn
June 14th, 2009, 01:20 PM
Maybe Joe Bonamassa or possibly Brent Mason.

Cheers,

Bob

mrmudcat
June 14th, 2009, 02:30 PM
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
My numero uno....SKYDOG:master:

sunvalleylaw
June 14th, 2009, 10:25 PM
SRV "Tightrope" licks, turnarounds, etc. would be really cool. That is a good song to learn a lot about rhythm, and laying out some licks. And I concur with Jimi75's suggestions as well.

Jipes
June 15th, 2009, 05:57 AM
I was thinking the other idea about easy video lessons to create. Would short licks in the style of certain popular players be a good idea? I have already done BB King, Albert King and Freddie King style lessons, but I could expand this idea of course. Perhaps different music styles such as rock, jazz, country, etc and feature licks in the style of famous players in that genre.

What do you think? By the way, it is "safest" to do licks in the style of a player, instead of copying a lot of notes exactly, for copyright reasons. Some owners of copyrighted artists hit down hard on people who provide lessons online. If the lessons aren't exactly note for note as the original source, the coast is clear.

If you like this idea, feel free to suggest artist in this thread!
As you mentionned beware of the copyright issue lots of Youtube account have been suspended for that reason unfortunately :confused:

The style of Robert Cray is very interesting specially the construction of the songs with the extended chord vocabulary he used in his songs. Another fantastic player and quite underrated is Jimmie Vaughan specially the way he used the capo to drive his shuffle thins and the great and tight rythmic comping

piebaldpython
June 15th, 2009, 08:17 AM
Hey Robert,
I have an idea/request for a lesson. I see guys soloing......and they'll have their index finger do a partial barre (over 2-4 strings) and just leave it there and use their other fingers for additional notes while the partial barre stays in place.

That would be a good lesson for an explanation of why that's a good thing to do, etc. Maybe hints for actually doing it.

I have never seen/read/heard that discussed until I was reading a book recently, How To Play Blues Guitar by Fred Sokolow, circa 1978. I think he referred to it as Chuck Berry style of soloing.

Anyway, I thought a lesson like that might be very helpful to those of us who are trying to learn how to solo.

duhvoodooman
June 15th, 2009, 09:36 AM
Since you've already done several blues players, I'd recommend branching out a bit--hard rock, metal/shred, jazz, country, etc.

Jimi75
June 16th, 2009, 05:52 AM
Since you've already done several blues players, I'd recommend branching out a bit--hard rock, metal/shred, jazz, country, etc.

DVM, I remember asking if the folks here might be interested in a hard rock Metal/Shred lesson on Nuno Bettencourts "Get The Funk Out" solo..........and nobody cared!

I could imagine Robert showing some Randy Rhoads solos though.

M29
June 16th, 2009, 09:06 AM
My wish would be Peter Green.

M

Robert
June 16th, 2009, 09:33 AM
Great ideas, guys, keep them coming! Some might be hard for me to do well, like some metal and shredding stuff, I may just be too old and baldy for! :D

bigG
June 16th, 2009, 09:50 AM
Robert, how about "Oh Well" by Fleetwood Mac (Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac). GREAT song! Pretty much a standard. Has been covered by seemingly almost everyone.

Here's a clip from youtube of Oh Well cover:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezGFGvn0ttk

and one from the Buckingham/Nicks Fleetwood Mac live from 2009:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cJzE-7QxZw

Robert
June 16th, 2009, 09:59 AM
bigG, I would want to focus just on the style itself, not copy verbatim, as that can lead to copyright infringement problems for me.

bigG
June 16th, 2009, 10:01 AM
Oh shite, Robert! I thought this was the thread for material for that blues gig you and Myra have coming up! Can you say "major brain fart?!"

Well then, consider this tune for that, eh... :thwap:

Yeah, I'm THAT guy - the one who can't walk and chew gum at the same time!! :rotflmao:

sunvalleylaw
June 16th, 2009, 08:53 PM
I want to re-iterate that I like this idea, and enjoy your first offering. You have contributed a lot of your own licks already and I love those, but it is fun to learn what is going on in the styles of other guitarists. :AOK: :AOK: It is a good idea and I appreciate the effort. :beer:

pes_laul
June 26th, 2009, 03:03 PM
I've still been waiting for you to do malmsteen :whatever: :rotflmao:

Robert
June 26th, 2009, 03:18 PM
Whoa, Malmsteen?! Hmm, I will think about it. I may be able to fake some things well enough to fool you.... :)

pes_laul
June 26th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Whoa, Malmsteen?! Hmm, I will think about it. I may be able to fake some things well enough to fool you.... :)
you know that you mention it I've always wondered how batio does all that two guitar tapping stuff...:thwap:

marnold
June 27th, 2009, 08:00 AM
You could pull off some minor arpeggio sweep licks or something. That'd be Malmsteenesque. Do it for your countryman!

rkwrenn
June 27th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Or maybe some Blackmore? Highway Star has a great solo!!!

Cheers,

Bob

Perfect Stranger
June 27th, 2009, 12:41 PM
Everyone has already suggested most of my favorites, but I thought I'd suggest something different if it has not already been suggested. For that matter, since I'm new here....maybe it already is. Since your vids are so great and such a valuable tool, why not make a special forum called something like "Video Turtorials" where you could gather all of your vidtutes in one place. It sure would be nice to go to one section and click once and have them all right there. Just a newb's thoughts....

Tibernius
June 30th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Not sure how you feel about metal, but how about one in the style of Emppu Vuorinen (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emppu_Vuorinen)?

ibanezjunkie
July 1st, 2009, 03:46 PM
i learned your BB king like the other day...=]

i think its already been suggested but how about some SRV style stuff?

alot of sliding and using your pick the wrong way round =]