PDA

View Full Version : SRV's tone on "Tightrope" - Austin City Limits

Robert
June 14th, 2009, 09:35 PM
I was listening to this performance today. I bought an SRV DVD a while ago and today I sat down and listened through it.

Lots of great stuff on it, great playing as always, but I have to mention I think the tone he had on "Tightrope" was awful. He is clearly using a fuzz, but I don't think that tone is working very well at all. Has anyone else heard this recording and if so, what's your thoughts.

Not that this is important in any kind of way..:) Anyhoo, I was just surprised when I heard this, since SRV almost always had such sweet overdriven Fender tones.

sunvalleylaw
June 14th, 2009, 10:15 PM
I've not seen that performance, though I looked at a few on youtube, as my instructor worked with me on that song a bit. (I have some finishing up to do before I can say I can play it). Hmm, I would be interested in seeing the clip if you find one.

Jimi75
June 15th, 2009, 02:19 AM
Hello Robert, it's a fuzz definitely. I have a book that was issued by Guitar World, it's a book on Stevie only and in the end the guitar tech tells that he used an old Dallas Arbiter Fuzz. I have also a DVD called "Live at Austin City Limits" (maybe you got the same) and the sound is incredible.

marnold
June 15th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Well, I just busted out my DVD and went to that particular track. It never struck me before, but you are right, he does have that "blown speaker" kind of fuzz tone there. Obviously it never bothered me before, and I don't think it will now. Stevie could have hit his guitar with drumsticks and I'd still listen to it. Seeing that again reminded me of how much I miss him.