PDA

View Full Version : Sonic Youth Unveils Signature Fender Guitars

Robert
June 15th, 2009, 07:21 PM
http://www.fender.com/sonicyouth/

Will this make the Jazzmaster guitars more popular?

In the spirit of capitalism, the success of an artist is sometimes followed by some sort of product endorsement. The noisy experimentalists of Sonic Youth were the last people we'd expect to see this from, but fear not; they're not hocking any awful cologne or overpriced sneaks.

Lee Ranaldo and Thurston Moore, guitarists and founders of the iconic crew, are known for paring down their guitars to the bare necessities to find that volatile Sonic Youth sound. Enter Fender, who has swooped in and turned the pared-down instruments into the totally epic-sounding Fender Sonic Jazzblaster (from Ranaldo) and Jazzmaster (from Moore).

http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2009/06/sonic-youth-unveil-signature-fender-guitars.html

msteeln
June 15th, 2009, 08:34 PM
If the beautiful purple metal flaked and worthy J. Macias model doesn't do the trick, I doubt these will, but the J. did it for me, and I was already sold on JazzMasters.

R_of_G
June 15th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Between Tom Verlaine, J Mascis, SY, Nels Cline and a ton of surf-rock, I've wanted a Jazzmaster for a long time. Someday. :D

sumitomo
June 16th, 2009, 08:37 AM
I always have liked that body style and am planning on building a custom SSH with this body style or maybe a HSS not sure yet.Sumi:D

Jimi75
June 16th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Sonic Youth is very specific, don't know if this really pushes the sales of the Jazzmaster. Generally the Jazzmastr is a great guitar. As far as I remember most poeple mod the bridge as it causes some trouble and tuning issues, but I think the newer built Jazzmasters don't have that problem. I think Fender was looking for some "Jazzmaster Godfathers" and well SY was alwas totally into JMs...

ibanezjunkie
June 16th, 2009, 02:10 PM
i cant stand jazzmasters, all the weird little features on it...

they sound good though, usually. i played a 1960 original and it was so buzzy, and it had been professionalyl set up, so i cant blame the setup.

markb
June 16th, 2009, 03:34 PM
So we've got the J. Mascis, the Elvis Costello and now the Sonic Youth JM signature models. Makes you wonder if Fender can't shift 'em without the endorsements, don't it?

The Jazzmaster was designed as the top of the line replacement for the strat when it was introduced in 1957. Leo Fender always wanted to move on and could never see the point of promoting the old models.

Plank_Spanker
June 17th, 2009, 05:21 PM
A Sonic Youth signature guitar to capture that Sonic Youth signature sound?

Me thinks Fender missed the boat by a few years here...............

But marketing is marketing......................:whatever:

Perfect Stranger
June 18th, 2009, 10:57 AM
I can see why the manufacturers would think that making a signature guitar of
anyone might be good for business. But I just don't get why someone would
want someone elses name on their guitar. I think I'd rather buy a stock guitar
and build a signature Perfect Stranger guitar than buy a Tom Delonge guitar.
But that's just me....I am kinda odd....