PDA

View Full Version : Stevie Ray Vaughan Lick - Video Lesson

Robert
June 16th, 2009, 04:15 PM
So, I mentioned in another thread about doing licks in the style of certain players. Here's one in the style of Stevie Ray Vaughan. You can hear him play licks in this style all over Texas Flood, which in turn he stole mostly from Hendrix' Red House, who in turn stole from some older blues guys, etc, etc... :)

I used my Suhr Classic through the Marshall JVM410H, no pedals used at all. Using my new DM-100 camcorder microphone on the Shotgun mic setting.

Comments welcome!

38CurRi0A8M

Rocket
June 16th, 2009, 04:29 PM
As I constantly encourage people to refrain from lifting other's styles to rather create their own, I'd be much more interested in some Robert Renman style licks... I'd bet good money they're more unique.

bigG
June 16th, 2009, 04:29 PM
Excellent as always, Robert! Cool lick!

The recording might be a little "hot", as I heard some ringing during the middle third of the lesson. Could be my comp's speakers though. Just FYI.

(I turned my comp's speaker volume down about 1/3 and it cleared the problem...)

sumitomo
June 16th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Great Robert!I like the way you not only show it slow but at alittle faster then full,and a tasty lick it is too! Sumi:D

just strum
June 16th, 2009, 07:17 PM
As I constantly encourage people to refrain from lifting other's styles to rather create their own, I'd be much more interested in some Robert Renman style licks... I'd bet good money they're more unique.

Not for argument purposes, but definitely for discussion purposes - isn't every lick stolen or copied in part by something previously done? I know much that I "copy" eventually seems to not sound like the lick that I originally took it from. Some of the modification is intentional, some of it is out of necessity (I can't "get it" so I modify it).

I take the original and due to what I noted above, I try to turn it into something that sounds good and enjoyable for me to play.

I think those "stole from Jimi, stolen from old blues players" licks are evolved the same way, but with better precision.

Play on brother.

Rocket
June 16th, 2009, 07:51 PM
I take the original and due to what I noted above, I try to turn it into something that sounds good and enjoyable for me to play.
Excellent approach.

I think those "stole from Jimi, stolen from old blues players" licks are evolved the same way, but with better precision.
Precision Blues ends up sounding insincere, poppie & just not quite right.
Blues is definitely not as much about precision as about feelings... well done & well felt inaccuracies are milestones of accomplishment.
Nothing sounds as phony than Blues without feeling... nothing sounds better than Blues from feeling. It's the difference between Aretha singing and Vicki Lawrence singing Aretha!

evenkeel
June 16th, 2009, 07:59 PM
It's the difference between Aretha singing and Vicki Lawrence singing Aretha!

ARGGGGGGG!!!! Now that is one scary thought!!!

Robert
June 16th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Well, maybe I'll try to do some Robert Renman licks next, precision blues or not... :whatever:

sunvalleylaw
June 16th, 2009, 08:51 PM
Thanks Robert. I like it. Most licks I have in my arsenal are slow, with a lot fewer notes, and it is good for me to learn to extend the phrases a bit more, and pick up some speed.

Robert
June 23rd, 2009, 07:26 AM
I forgot to ask something about this lesson. When I recorded it, I started showing the left hand more close up, and then I was going to show the right hand separately. After a while, I changed my mind and set up the camera so it could see both the left and right hand at the same time.

Which do you prefer?

Quite a few of my older lessons show right and left hand separately.

bigG
June 23rd, 2009, 10:38 AM
Robert, I think for learning purposes, I prefer them shown separately. But that's just my 2 cents.

rugbynyc
August 6th, 2009, 07:36 PM
So, I mentioned in another thread about doing licks in the style of certain players. Here's one in the style of Stevie Ray Vaughan. You can hear him play licks in this style all over Texas Flood, which in turn he stole mostly from Hendrix' Red House, who in turn stole from some older blues guys, etc, etc... :)

I used my Suhr Classic through the Marshall JVM410H, no pedals used at all. Using my new DM-100 camcorder microphone on the Shotgun mic setting.

Comments welcome!

38CurRi0A8M

Awesome stuff Robert, great video. I'll be working on this as soon as I hit submit. Thanks

M29
August 6th, 2009, 08:23 PM
Have you ever considered a helmet cam? He he he, just kidding. I like it just like that, I can see both hands and that probably saves you some work too.

M