PDA

View Full Version : Went to See the Doc

just strum
June 17th, 2009, 05:01 PM
For the first time since my heart attack (3 years ago this August), I received a overall improvement in all categories. Bad cholesterol down to 170 (always been over 200), good cholesterol up to 40 (always been 36). There are other categories that were all favorable, but I don't recall and I don't have the results in front of me.

The doc said that I am hitting the marks of a normal person, however he noted I wasn't normal (as if I didn't know that). Since I had a heart attack, he wants to see more improvement. We also discussed the MS. I was tested some time ago and one of three opinions was that I was in the early stages of MS. I still have signs or symptoms, but I also had two other opinions that it wasn't MS. After mounting medical bills and inconclusive results I decided to say the hell with it and enjoy life.

The doc asked me questions about it and I told him that at this stage I am content with my approach. The medical community was doing nothing to cure or make things more livable/tolerable, so I decided to do it myself. I feel there has been a big improvment and any symptoms are not noticable to those around me.

So today, I celebrate the good news.

I do have to lose a little weight and exercise, but I can deal with that and meet the goals.

ted s
June 17th, 2009, 05:54 PM
A day of celebration and congratulations Mark, glad to hear you have your head wrapped around it. :AOK:

evenkeel
June 17th, 2009, 08:01 PM
Strum. Great news. You sound very positive. Normal is vastly overrated.

Keep up the good work. Put some diet and excercise into the mix and those numbers will continue to improve.

Congrats!!! :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

marnold
June 17th, 2009, 08:22 PM
Good deal, Strummy. Reminds me of one of my favorite Monty Python quotes, "There's nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation won't prolong."

piebaldpython
June 17th, 2009, 09:26 PM
So today, I celebrate the good news.
I do have to lose a little weight and exercise, but I can deal with that and meet the goals.

Congrats Strum, glad to hear that things are going well for you. :D Hey, who doesn't have to lose some weight? The only thing between me (245) and 300 lbs is the GYM. 3-4 times per week and it takes care of the stresses of the world and keeps me sane too.

Not that you asked, but a comprehensive weight training program hitting the major muscle groups (legs, back, chest) is the most beneficial program you can have in terms of getting your body to burn calories for close to 2 days after you work out. You can run from here to Alberta, Canada (:D ), but the residual effect of running on burning calories only lasts an hour or two once you're done running. The guy who is editor for Men's Health magazine wrote the above in a book I have. I paraphrased what he wrote.

Robert
June 17th, 2009, 10:03 PM
Good to hear, stay healthy. You can of course run to Alberta, Canada every week if you want, because that would be a heck of a calorie burn, that's for sure!

tjcurtin1
June 17th, 2009, 10:07 PM
Hey, Mark - good to hear some good news from someone! Just keep on that good-health wagon!

Ted

Jimi75
June 18th, 2009, 01:11 AM
That's good news!
:beer:
....that's toasting with a healthy shake and no beer....:rotflmao:

mrmudcat
June 18th, 2009, 04:20 AM
Good news to hear...........

Monkus
June 18th, 2009, 04:58 AM
great news Strum! Nice to hear some good news ...

oldguy
June 18th, 2009, 05:02 AM
Glad to hear that, Mark! You must be doing something right, keep it up, young man.:AOK:

wingsdad
June 18th, 2009, 06:31 AM
Great news, Mark :) :) :)

Brian Krashpad
June 18th, 2009, 10:58 AM
Sounds great Mark! Congrats. Prayers for and mojo to you.

duhvoodooman
June 18th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Sounds like a pretty positive visit there, Strum. UDAMAN!!! :AOK: :beer: :bravo:

just strum
June 18th, 2009, 03:06 PM
This is a new doc for me. When I walked into the hall of the examining rooms, there was accoustic guitar music being piped in (during my entire visit). Teh doc eventually comes into the room and is unshaven (a couple days growth). He introduces himself as Bruce and was just a cool doc to sit around and talk health with. He is highly ranked in this area, constantly goes back for training to stay up on the latest medical advancements - so I think this doc will work out.

I either visited the doctor or the cleaning guy at the med center.

He looked a lot like this:

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/dr_house_01.jpg

street music
June 18th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Mark, congrats on the great improvements. I have never been considered normal and I hope that I' m not expected to be. About your MS-a co-worker was told by 2 doctors she had-2 more told her she didn't- after $$$$ be spent on test she told them all to cram it and she has been great since. I only take about 1/2 of what these doctors say to heart.
Keep improving and before long you will can go run with Robert- you ride a bike while he runs.

Rocket
June 18th, 2009, 03:24 PM
He looked a lot like this:

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/dr_house_01.jpg
You sure he wasn't more like this:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_zqFoq3qej2c/Sa814_u6sSI/AAAAAAAAmxs/PifnQMT9Wn0/s400/youngfrankenstein.jpg

just strum
June 18th, 2009, 03:27 PM
You sure he wasn't more like this:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_zqFoq3qej2c/Sa814_u6sSI/AAAAAAAAmxs/PifnQMT9Wn0/s400/youngfrankenstein.jpg

That was the previous doctor.

If I heard "It's alive. It's alive..." one more time....

sumitomo
June 18th, 2009, 04:23 PM
That's real good news Strum,keep up the good work.I saw somethings you wrote I need to watch for on myself too like the weight issue.Not as I see it as a prob now but I have put on 20 lbs in two yrs. since Ive stopped smoking,160 like foverever and 180 now at 5'11'' is ok I need to keep it in check.But if you want to check out the acid/alkaline diet,I have done this the best I can for the last two yrs.and feel great.Sumi:D

just strum
June 18th, 2009, 04:33 PM
That's real good news Strum,keep up the good work.I saw somethings you wrote I need to watch for on myself too like the weight issue.Not as I see it as a prob now but I have put on 20 lbs in two yrs. since Ive stopped smoking,160 like foverever and 180 now at 5'11'' is ok I need to keep it in check.But if you want to check out the acid/alkaline diet,I have done this the best I can for the last two yrs.and feel great.Sumi:D

I've been taking acid for years and see no change -opps, probably not what you are referring to.

As for diets, I have to be cautious because of a heart attack. What may be good for some, is not necessarily good for all. I know that just moderate exercise and watching what I eat will allow me to shed 20 to 25 pounds at a nice pace (say end of summer).

duhvoodooman
June 18th, 2009, 05:02 PM
If I heard "It's alive. It's alive..." one more time....
It's when they STOP saying "It's alive!" that you have to worry.....

just strum
June 18th, 2009, 05:04 PM
Good point!

evenkeel
June 18th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Or.

"Calling Dr. Howard, calling Dr. Fine"

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r74/evenkeel_album/three-stooges-dizzy-doctor.jpg

Childbride
June 19th, 2009, 06:47 PM
Strummy, i'm glad to hear that you are ok. :)

TS808
June 20th, 2009, 07:20 AM
Congrats Strum on the good news and keep it up. Follow the dr's instructions for a healthy diet and get that exercise program in for sure.

tot_Ou_tard
June 20th, 2009, 07:28 AM
Good for you Strum, we want you around for a long time.

Make sure that you include weight training with any cardio. Muscle is metabolically expensive--meaning that muscle burns a lot of calories just existing.

just strum
June 20th, 2009, 08:35 AM
I'm looking at trading my Trek 8000 for something that fits me better and provides a little more comfort. The owner of our company has a number of bikes and I am going to check with him to see if he wants to make a trade.

I don't like running (knees), but I've always enjoyed bike riding. I got away from it due to time constraints, but would like to get to a 15 to 20 mile per day routine.

Blaze
June 20th, 2009, 10:24 AM
I'm looking at trading my Trek 8000 for something that fits me better and provides a little more comfort. The owner of our company has a number of bikes and I am going to check with him to see if he wants to make a trade.

I don't like running (knees), but I've always enjoyed bike riding. I got away from it due to time constraints, but would like to get to a 15 to 20 mile per day routine.

This one could make you sweat a good few..
Lookin forward to see a picture with the - 20 lbs look..

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_in6flQUl334/R1AQsSHeNcI/AAAAAAAAAAw/STsWAoZ11DQ/s1600-R/funny_bike.jpg

just strum
June 20th, 2009, 10:51 AM
This one could make you sweat a good few..

No doubt, a shipment of ES335's and ES339's

TS808
June 20th, 2009, 04:27 PM
Good for you Strum, we want you around for a long time.

Make sure that you include weight training with any cardio. Muscle is metabolically expensive--meaning that muscle burns a lot of calories just existing.

The cool thing about weight training too is that you don't have to kill yourself. A 45-minute workout 2-3 times per week at moderate intensity produces some pretty good results. Plus, there are some nice products out there like the Bowflex (although pricey) that allow you to strength train without the hassle of changing weight plates. Weider used to make a Crossbow (like a Bowflex) for about 1/5 the price and I owned one when living in an apartment due to space constraints.

From all I've read, the best workouts are brief and intense. Anything over 45 minutes can be counter productive, as cortisol levels begin to increase which actually tear down muscle tissue.

Mix it up for best results and confuse the muscles...do cardio then some strength training.

Most of all, make it enjoyable and keep the goals realistic.

just strum
July 24th, 2009, 07:04 PM
For the first time since my heart attack (3 years ago this August), I received a overall improvement in all categories. Bad cholesterol down to 170 (always been over 200), good cholesterol up to 40 (always been 36). There are other categories that were all favorable, but I don't recall and I don't have the results in front of me.

Improvements continue - went to the doctors Wednesday for a follow-up.

TC (total cholesterol) 123

HDL (good cholesterol) 36 - this was a slide on the negative side, but my ratio improved and the doctor isn't too concerned, but will need to do a little work)

Triglycerides 140 (less than 150 is the desirable range)

LDL (bad cholesterol) 62 - less than 100 mg is the desirable range

TC/HDL ratio: 3.8 - less than 4.5 is the desirable range (was 4.25 last check-up and as high as 7.5 two years ago)

Non-fasting glucose = 96 - less than 140 is desirable range

Blood pressure: 106/72 - less than 120/80 is the desirable range

Body fat results sucked, but I'm working on it. Target 20 lbs as my first goal.

piebaldpython
July 24th, 2009, 07:43 PM
TC= 123???? Holy crap, that is LOW. Hey Strum, sounds like a great report. You have to be thrilled to say the least. Hazard me a guess, would you.....with your BP that low, do you think ANY of that has to do with being happy at the office??

Geez, all of your numbers are super. The triglycerides aren't bad either. Mine are always under 100 (don't know why) but I have HBP and I'll have to take meds for the rest of my days.

Keep up the good work. :D

Hey on a side note.......isn't Nicolle going to college in the Fall semester? Where is she going? Major?

BC will FINALLY start college this coming semester. 5 years later than her peers but hey, the Germans took care of her health problems and now it's time for her to show her stuff. She is excited.

just strum
July 24th, 2009, 07:55 PM
TC= 123???? Holy crap, that is LOW. Hey Strum, sounds like a great report. You have to be thrilled to say the least. Hazard me a guess, would you.....with your BP that low, do you think ANY of that has to do with being happy at the office??

Geez, all of your numbers are super. The triglycerides aren't bad either. Mine are always under 100 (don't know why) but I have HBP and I'll have to take meds for the rest of my days.

Keep up the good work. :D

Hey on a side note.......isn't Nicolle going to college in the Fall semester? Where is she going? Major?

BC will FINALLY start college this coming semester. 5 years later than her peers but hey, the Germans took care of her health problems and now it's time for her to show her stuff. She is excited.

I'm taking meds, but they are the same meds that I have been taking since the heart attack, they only started working this year. When did I start my new job? - Jan 5, 2009. I mentioned to the doctor that I believe it was the change in jobs and the change supports the statement "stress kills". Things are going so good that some of the meds are being cut back and in a month or two one of them will no longer be taken.

No, Nicolle has one more year (she will be thrilled that someone outside of the house spelled her name correctly. If she stays the course, she will be majoring in art/photography. She is real involved in the local theater - stage design, promotion, and photography - so, we will see what this year has in store for her.

Great news on BC - long road and she is without a doubt a fighter. Where is she going and what is her major.

piebaldpython
July 24th, 2009, 09:51 PM
BC being a city girl, will commute to Temple U (my alma mater), which is where she was accepted at 5 years ago. She's in the Honors Program and will major in elementary/special education. Many of the kids she went to HS with have their degrees BUT are still working in retail stores. So, she altered her original plans (dual major in English and Art) and wants to teach. Seeing her friends floundering was a good thing for her to witness. It made her realize that getting a degree doesn't mean squat if you can't turn it into $$$$'s via a good job.

btw, congrats on getting your meds cut back. Super!!

bigG
July 24th, 2009, 10:55 PM
Congrats, strum! Glad to hear the good news! Keep on keepin' on, man! :bravo:

M29
July 25th, 2009, 05:34 AM
Good to hear Strum continued prayers and mojo at ya fellow Fret.Netter.:AOK:

Kazz
July 25th, 2009, 06:22 AM
Strum....that is excellent news. As for Nicolle....the pictures you have posted that she took were awesome...she will make a great photographer.

luvmyshiner
July 25th, 2009, 07:04 AM
Great news Strum and Pie! Y'all deserve it.

Childbride
July 25th, 2009, 11:47 AM

+1! :AOK:

evenkeel
July 25th, 2009, 11:58 AM

Exactly!! :bravo: :bravo:

Strum I think you deserve a reward for all the good news. One of these would be a nice gift to oneself.

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r74/evenkeel_album/gibson335.jpg

just strum
July 25th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Exactly!! :bravo: :bravo:

Strum I think you deserve a reward for all the good news. One of these would be a nice gift to oneself.

Couldn't agree with you more, but it's not going to happen anytime soon.

peachhead
July 26th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Great news, and good luck on the workout routine (whatever it turns out to be). Stick with it!