PDA

View Full Version : Fender `57 Champ Reissue

tot_Ou_tard
June 19th, 2009, 06:11 AM
Check this out. based on the 5F1. It has an 8" weber AlNiCo speaker.

http://www.fender.com/news/index.php?display_article=326

Make sure to listen to the other videos in the bar underneath the main video after this video finishes.

0Xuh0bLE6MQ

More info & the same videos can be found here.

http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?partno=8160500000

A thousand bucks?!? My Gries 5 was much cheaper.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/57Champ?utm_source=pricegrabber&utm_medium=comparisonshopping

Jimi75
June 19th, 2009, 06:28 AM
Wasn't Robert asking why the Fender amp prices are rising so improportinally high? This thing costs 899€ = 1204USD!

The videos are great, the playing is cool, but the price is far beyond reality.

duhvoodooman
June 19th, 2009, 06:59 AM
Ridiculous. As much as I like their guitars & amps, Fender seems to be completely out of touch with the common man these days. Here we are in the midst of the worst economy since the Great Depression, nearly 10% unemployment here in the US, and Fender is rolling out this kind of stuff? Not to mention raising prices 25 - 40% on most of their products at the beginning of the year. Just an astonishing mix of corporate arrogance and insensitivity, if you ask me. Not that anybody did... ;) :D

And I had to laugh at the e-mail I just got from MF advertising their "Fender Summer Fest" sale. Wow! Such deals! Those MIM Standard Strats are down by $50 to $500! Too bad they were $400 this time last year, and often on sale for less than that.... :reallymad:

Oh, BTW--Tunghaichuan can probably tell you how to build a Champ of your own for $200 - $300....

birv2
June 19th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Oh, BTW--Tunghaichuan can probably tell you how to build a Champ of your own for $200 - $300....

Let's hear it! I'm in.

Bob

tunghaichuan
June 19th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Let's hear it! I'm in.

Bob

That would be for a scratch built amp without a cabinet. Everything I build is pretty much scratch built using generic components.

If you want a finished amp that looks like the real deal 5F1, you can buy a Weber kit (https://taweber.powweb.com/store/kits_50a.htm#5F1) for $415.

The main cost for scratch building is:

Transformers: $50-$100.

Chassis: $20-$30

Tubes: $25-$50 (or more depending on whether they are NOS or not)

Electronic parts: $25

misc hardware: $25

Face plate: $25

The basic 5F1 circuit is pretty easy to build and is also very easy to convert into a 5F2-A circuit, a tweed Princeton (adds a tone control).

You might need to get a few specialized tools such a soldering iron, a DMM, various drill bits, etc. I have quite a bit of cash invested in chassis punches, which are nice to have, but you can get by with stepped drill bits.

tung

birv2
June 19th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Do you instructions somewhere? Looks like it would be fun to try.

tunghaichuan
June 19th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Do you instructions somewhere? Looks like it would be fun to try.

I've actually been working on a book for the last 5 years. It's about 75% complete or so. The book covers building a 5F2-A Princeton style amp from scratch.

One feature of the book is that it has step by step wiring diagrams in full color. In fact, I color code all my builds to make them easier to trouble shoot. It also contains a list of all the components to buy, the tools used, some tips and tricks.

If you want to get started, PM or email me, and I'll send you some diagrams and a list of parts to help you get started.

tung

jim p
June 19th, 2009, 07:40 PM
On this reissue won’t you come close by taking the standard Champ 600 and just replacing the output transformer and speaker (if you can squeeze an 8 inch in there)? The tube rectifier on an SE amp is supposed to only provide a little sag compared to a push pull amp so that should only be a slight part of any overall tone. Maybe Fender is smart they are going after old guys that have more money then sense.
Another thing maybe Fender is just getting a boutique shop to make these amps as Fender amps based on one they already sell. Fender has the name and distribution chain so they just mark it up and make the profit.

TS808
June 28th, 2009, 01:54 PM
Ridiculous. As much as I like their guitars & amps, Fender seems to be completely out of touch with the common man these days. Here we are in the midst of the worst economy since the Great Depression, nearly 10% unemployment here in the US, and Fender is rolling out this kind of stuff? Not to mention raising prices 25 - 40% on most of their products at the beginning of the year. Just an astonishing mix of corporate arrogance and insensitivity, if you ask me. Not that anybody did... ;) :D

And I had to laugh at the e-mail I just got from MF advertising their "Fender Summer Fest" sale. Wow! Such deals! Those MIM Standard Strats are down by $50 to $500! Too bad they were $400 this time last year, and often on sale for less than that.... :reallymad:

I'm in agreement regarding the Fender amps and the price hikes. A Vibrolux is now $1300-1400??? That's insane.

One of the changes too I noticed with my new Bandmaster VM head is that although the price was reasonable, it seems the head cabinet is a little flimsy and the velcro-attached grill cloth really is a disappointment.

The Hot Rod series is still a good amp, but Fender really priced themselves beyond their competitors (Peavey Classic series) by raising the prices.

bigG
June 28th, 2009, 02:37 PM
Fender is going after the "boutique" market w this one. Which is what the boutique amp companies are built on - going after the tone of classic 50s and 60s amps.

The Swart Space Tone 6V6se is modeled on a classic 50's Fender circuit (can't remember which one off the top of my head). 5w, true Class A, single ended, finger-jointed pine cabinet, laquered tweed finish, HUGE Heybore transformer, hand-wired w cloth covered wire, hand wired point-to-point, JJ12AX7 pre-amp, JJ5Y3 rectification tube (tube rectified for vintage sag), EH 6V6power tube, one vol and one tone control, 8" Weber ceramic speaker (plenty of tight, non-flabby low end) and a mini-toggle mounted next to the 12AX7 that switches from true Class A to Class AB - like getting two channels in a one channel amp. All this built from scratch, burned in and tested by Michael Swart himself, in his large garage/studio (he's a well-known recording engineer). I've spoken w him numerous times, and the cat loves music, the amps he builds, and the people who buy them...oh, and his family. He is fully aware of how sweet his life is!

The Swart Space Tone 6V6se sells for $850 and I guarantee you it's better than the Fender for $1200! It's just abt the most perfect amp possible! Check out www.swartamps.com for the full story of Micheal Swart, his company and philosophy, and amp specs.

If you're looking for that boutique tone and superb build quality and fit n finish, you simply can't beat a Swart. If you're looking to spend $800 - $1200or more (many boutique amps are ALOT more!).

Just thought I'd get a plug in for Swart, and give you all a MUCH better alternative. :) (And your $ won't go to Fender!)