PDA

View Full Version : cheap danelectro stuff?

ibanezjunkie
June 19th, 2009, 09:58 AM
hey guys

i just found the FAB distortion pedals, and after watching one of roberts dolphinstreet videos i think im gas-ing for it,

so to anyone who has or tried one, are they worth the effort of buying?

sensei
June 19th, 2009, 10:09 AM
I've owned the fab distortion. My opinion... DON"T spend 1 dollar. I've had their cheap chorus and overdrive pedals too. Not worth a dollar.

I'm still using Danelectro pedals though. I have the Cool Cat Metal II and the Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive. Both are really great. The Danelectro Black Coffee distortion is fantastic also.

Just my opinion.

marnold
June 19th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Yeah, I think that Robert's videos were the Cool Cat line, not the FAB. I've got a Cool Cat Fuzz which I like a lot. The switch was wonky on the first one so I sent it back for a different one. It gives you all the fuzz tones you might like from subtle to Big Muff territory. It'll give you that "blown speaker" thing if that's what you're after too.

birv2
June 19th, 2009, 11:04 AM
I'm a big fan of the Dano pedals. Of course, I'm no expert, but all the ones I've tried, I've liked. I currently have:

Fish and Chips EQ -- excellent little pedal
Corned Beef Reverb -- more of a delay than a reverb, but still pretty good
Danelectro DanEcho -- great delay pedal for what I do
Fab Overdrive -- nice OD pedal, with lots of gain on tap if you want it.

I think I paid a total of $75 for all of them together.

If you're just starting out, Danelectro is a good way to get some stuff without breaking the bank. You might want to trade up eventually, but then again you might just be happy with them. I've heard lots of good stuff about their new Cool Cat series as well.

Bob

Rocket
June 19th, 2009, 02:27 PM
DanO's are just fine for home & light use... not really built for gigging.
For home use/practice you'll get more bang-for-buck with a decent lower-cost multi like Digitech, (especially one like the RP350 that includes a built in drum/percussion unit.)

Lev
June 19th, 2009, 03:44 PM
I gig every week with 3 Dano Cool cats on my board and I'm more than happy with how they sound. I think the cool cats are a major step up in terms of quality from danelectro.

markb
June 20th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Save up for the Cool Cats (only another ten quid). The circuit tracing (pirate?) crowd have worked out that the Drive is a simplified Fulltone OCD clone (which is a Voodoo Labs OD clone, which is a DOD 250 clone...) but the real bonus is metal boxes and true bypass.

Parrydactyl
June 21st, 2009, 04:23 PM
I've heard good things about the cool cats but the line down from those, the ones with the food names are pretty much 100% of the time going to cut out on you. I had the french toast octave distortion and after about five uses it quit working. So after voiding the warranty a little I got it working again. Then it quit once more, so I'm done with those, and the fabs can't be any better.

but one thing that might be cool is if you are any good with electronics is you can modify or "bend" pedals to make crazy sounds. these pedals are cheap enough where I would have no problem forking over the ten dollars for this and a few more cents for components to bend them. If you're into stuff like experimenting with noise, that might be some thing to think about.

I know that only using one of the danelectro pedals and then saying that they are all crap might be unfair but I'm just giving you my experience and why I would never buy another one. I did use that pedal for vocals once and it was pretty cool. sounded like braniac or something. these pedals are pretty much for beginners and fooling around with, but some one who is serious about their sound and wants a reliable pedal should not buy those.Again, the cool cats might be good, it's some thing to look into.

ted s
June 21st, 2009, 04:38 PM
I had a PB&J for 4 days before the input jack barfed. Maybe just a bad one.
I was surprised actually, knowing that other fretters have good things to say.
It was about $40 IIRC.

Zip
June 21st, 2009, 05:33 PM
I have a little pedal board with Corned Beef, Pepperoni, Surf & Turf, Tuna Melt, Pastrami, and Hash Browns pedals (sounds like a cheap diner menu). They work/sound great, never had a problem out of any of 'em. However, I also have a FAB Flange pedal that I'll send you for FREE. Honest. :)
My own experience, I think the FAB pedals are crapola.

birv2
June 21st, 2009, 07:15 PM
I have the Fab Overdrive and think it's actually pretty good. Not amazing, but not crap.

WackyT
June 21st, 2009, 09:55 PM
I have one of the Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive V1 pedals, and I love it! I use it regularly.

Jimi75
June 22nd, 2009, 05:32 AM
I had the FAB Overdrive and I played it live at a bunch of gigs. It's a great pedal in my opinion and worth every penny. I gave it to my nephew now, as I bought the OCD and he loves it. Just gigged with it this saturday andthe pedal sounded great.

I only own the Cool Cat Tremolo which is again a complete other level of quality for just a few bucks more. Robert's demos speak for themselves.