PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever try a Weber Mini Mass??

TS808
June 20th, 2009, 04:20 PM
I bought a Weber Mini Mass attenuator for my Bandmaster VM head and it arrived today. I hooked it up and played for about an hour.

Here are my impressions: It is definitely an effective attenuator and I'm not quite sure how it works considering there is no power supply, but I'll let the tech experts explain that.

The mini mass has a normal, 3db treble boost and a 6 db treble boost. With the "normal" setting, you can tell the attenuator sucks some tone. WIth the 3db boost on, it adds a pretty good amount of brightness, and I didn't even bother trying the 6db boost. I notice no difference to the bottom or mids being altered in any way. Overall, I would say that the mini mass really didn't alter the tone of the amp at all, with the bright boost engaged.

I did notice that with the volume and drive up to about 7 each, the amp sounded pretty sweet, as it should. Us home noodlers don't get to take the amp into power tube saturation much but allowing the volume to be kicked up on the amp with a nice attenuator did make the strings sing a bit more.

Pretty good product and a good solution for taming volume at the house.

tunghaichuan
June 20th, 2009, 04:54 PM
I've got one, but it's an older model without the treble boost. It really needs it, though. Without the treble boost it sounds like there is a blanket over my speakers. It is a pretty easy mod to do, though but I just haven't had a chance to do it.

tung

I bought a Weber Mini Mass attenuator for my Bandmaster VM head and it arrived today. I hooked it up and played for about an hour.

Here are my impressions: It is definitely an effective attenuator and I'm not quite sure how it works considering there is no power supply, but I'll let the tech experts explain that.

The mini mass has a normal, 3db treble boost and a 6 db treble boost. With the "normal" setting, you can tell the attenuator sucks some tone. WIth the 3db boost on, it adds a pretty good amount of brightness, and I didn't even bother trying the 6db boost. I notice no difference to the bottom or mids being altered in any way. Overall, I would say that the mini mass really didn't alter the tone of the amp at all, with the bright boost engaged.

I did notice that with the volume and drive up to about 7 each, the amp sounded pretty sweet, as it should. Us home noodlers don't get to take the amp into power tube saturation much but allowing the volume to be kicked up on the amp with a nice attenuator did make the strings sing a bit more.

Pretty good product and a good solution for taming volume at the house.

TS808
June 20th, 2009, 06:31 PM
I've got one, but it's an older model without the treble boost. It really needs it, though. Without the treble boost it sounds like there is a blanket over my speakers. It is a pretty easy mod to do, though but I just haven't had a chance to do it.

tung

That's a good way to put it...with the treble boost off it sounds pretty dull and lifeless.

Perfect Stranger
June 20th, 2009, 07:04 PM
I have an attenuator but it's not the Weber.

Ro3b
June 21st, 2009, 08:45 PM
I've got one too, and like the OP, I find I'm happiest with the treble boost in the 3dB position. It definitely does the job it's meant to do. The Weber attenuators in general are great deals. I don't know what would make a more expensive one worth the money.

kiteman
June 24th, 2009, 05:55 AM
I have the MASS200 for my 100 watt tube stack. Works good and I'm glad it has a treble compensator.

tot_Ou_tard
June 24th, 2009, 06:23 AM
I don't have one, but as I understand it the way they work is to pass part of the signal through a speaker moter (speaker with no cone). Thus the amp sees reads the impedence of a speaker load similar to what it would usually see, but the signal passing to the actual speaker is diminished.

No power supply needed.

duhvoodooman
June 24th, 2009, 07:26 AM
I don't have one, but as I understand it the way they work is to pass part of the signal through a speaker moter (speaker with no cone). Thus the amp sees reads the impedence of a speaker load similar to what it would usually see, but the signal passing to the actual speaker is diminished.

No power supply needed.
Yup, that's exactly the way I understand they work, too.

I have a MicroMASS (http://taweber.powweb.com/weber/micromass.htm), with the separate low-mids and mids-highs attenuation controls. Works very well on my small amps.

Radioboy950
June 25th, 2009, 08:56 AM
Yeah, I've had the MiniMass for quite some time now, and it's a great little unit.

Has the selector switches for impedance and treble.

It's also quite nice to have around if you're re-tubing and/or changing bias, as it can be used as a dummy speaker load when you've got the chassis out.

I like Ted's stuff. I also bought his Bias Rite.