PDA

View Full Version : Pickup Volume

ZMAN
June 21st, 2009, 08:07 AM
I know this will sound like a rookie question but I have many guitars and I find that the volume on them varies quite a bit, even with the same type pickups. Some of my Gibson hummbuckers are louder on 1 than my other Gibsons on 4.
The single coils are the same some have no volume at all and others blow you away.
I use my amps and pedals on the same setting most of the time so I really notice it changing guitars.
I understand the ohm output ratings and most of the pickups are in the same range other than my ceramic humbuckers.
Is it Pots, caps, or more windings on the pickups? My 1990 Les Paul is amazingly loud.
I have never really researched this topic and most pickup info gives the output and the resistance but doesn't really go into the volume thing.
Just a thought for a Sunday morning.

Perfect Stranger
June 21st, 2009, 09:26 AM
I'm certainly no expert....but I think a couple of things could be happening. Sometimes the distance from the strings might be different. Not enough to see but enough to cause the volume difference. Also many pickup are just hotter than other pickups even tho they may be the same basic model. Many manufacturers make there version of a '59...but some make them hotter than others, etc. Like I say, I'm certainly no expert but I'm pretty sure either of those things can have an effect.

birv2
June 21st, 2009, 10:15 AM
I'm not an expert either, and I only have 2 guitars: a JV strat and an Affinity Squier strat. However, I've noticed the same thing. My squier is usually about half the volume of the Jimmie Vaughan. And I've swapped pickups in and out of both of them, so it's a pretty fair comparison.

My current theory is that it's the body weight/wood type that explains it. The JV is bigger, heavier. Completely unscientific, but I have no other explanation.

I'd love to hear if anyone really knows the answer.

ZMAN
June 22nd, 2009, 05:54 AM
I would have thought there would be some of the techno guys who new about this topic. The pickup heights are all about the same. I will admit some of my off shore imports a prone to lower volumes, more than the North American made guitars.

tunghaichuan
June 22nd, 2009, 08:07 AM
There are many factors when considering the output of pickups.

The strength of the magnets comes into play, as does the composition of the magnets themselves. Also, the number of winds in the coil contributes; the more winds in the coil, the stronger the output will be, the less winds, the weaker. The thickness of the wire contributes. Also, in a humbucking pickup, I would think that how well the coils are matched (close in number of winds) would matter. Back in the 50s and 60s when pickups were hand-wound, there were sometimes huge differences in tone in pickups, even those from the same batch.

Often, import pickups are made with inferior materials to keep costs down, this would affect output.

tung

ZMAN
June 23rd, 2009, 06:04 AM
Thanks Tung. I was aware of those aspects of the pickups. But I always thought that came under the heading tone. I was wondering how that equates to volume? I always thought it had a lot to do with the Pots and caps, as much as the pickups. I will have to read up on electronics!

tunghaichuan
June 23rd, 2009, 08:01 AM
Thanks Tung. I was aware of those aspects of the pickups. But I always thought that came under the heading tone. I was wondering how that equates to volume? I always thought it had a lot to do with the Pots and caps, as much as the pickups. I will have to read up on electronics!

Sorry, I hope you don't think I was talking down to you :) What I was trying to stress is that the more wire that is in a pickup the stronger it will be. Take the vintage-style Fender strat pickups vs. the hotter Texas Specials. There is a difference in tone, but the the Texas Specials are overwound so you get more voltage out of the pickup. This was the basis for the SD Invader and DiMarzio XN2 overwound with strong ceramic magnets, lots of voltage output.

If you ever want the definitive answer, call up Bill Lawrence (http://www.billlawrence.com/) and ask him to explain it to you. Rumor has it that he will talk your ear off explaining the various aspects of pickups.

tung

ZMAN
June 23rd, 2009, 09:37 AM
Sorry, I hope you don't think I was talking down to you :) What I was trying to stress is that the more wire that is in a pickup the stronger it will be. Take the vintage-style Fender strat pickups vs. the hotter Texas Specials. There is a difference in tone, but the the Texas Specials are overwound so you get more voltage out of the pickup. This was the basis for the SD Invader and DiMarzio XN2 overwound with strong ceramic magnets, lots of voltage output.

If you ever want the definitive answer, call up Bill Lawrence (http://www.billlawrence.com/) and ask him to explain it to you. Rumor has it that he will talk your ear off explaining the various aspects of pickups.

tung
I absolutely did not think you were talking down, and I am sorry my tone made you think that. It is funny that you mentioned Bill Lawrence because the loudest pickups I have in a guitar are the Bill Lawrence hummbuckers that came stock in my ES335.
I just think that this is something that most of us have thought about over the years but have really not understood. I have talked by email to Lollar about his pickups and he was ready to talk pickups and was very informative.
Thanks for your answers tung.
Brian