PDA

View Full Version : MF Clearance BLOWOUT!!

bigG
June 23rd, 2009, 06:42 AM
For those of you who don't regularly visit MF, just to check things out and see what's going on and what's new, here's a link to their Warehouse Clearance Blowout. Some pretty good deals on some nice stuff! Personally, I'm GAS-ing over the Brian May Signature git...something way out of the ordinary, looks cool, has that crazy, but effective, Brian May pup switching. (The newest model from Brian May Guitars.) I always prefer to support my local mom n pop stores, but alot of this stuff is not carried by either one here locally...

Check it out, loads of good stuff, not throwaways:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/blowout

Hope you have some extra cash lying around!! Unfortunately, I don't at this time, but I might have to do some creative accounting to get that Brian May!

duhvoodooman
June 23rd, 2009, 08:02 AM
I dunno, man--looks like the same stuff that's been on sale for a month or so, at the same prices. For example MIM Standard Strats marked down from $550 to $500--a 10% reduction. Big deal. Not to rain on your parade, but this doesn't meet the criteria of a "blowout" in my book.....

Spudman
June 23rd, 2009, 09:05 AM
I agree Voodoo. I couldn't find anything that was different than a few weeks ago. No savings worth getting excited over.

sunvalleylaw
June 23rd, 2009, 09:48 AM
I get a little excited about a $99 DA-5 but like I told you Spud, I am going to bide my time on that til fall. I also want to A/B the DA-5 with the Vypyr 15. the DA-5 has the battery option, but I am used to the Vypyr. I already ruled out the Roland by A/bing it with the DA-5. And, I want to see what Line 6 comes out with in terms of a smaller version of your M13 as it is rumored they will.

bigG
June 23rd, 2009, 10:30 AM
I dunno, man--looks like the same stuff that's been on sale for a month or so, at the same prices. For example MIM Standard Strats marked down from $550 to $500--a 10% reduction. Big deal. Not to rain on your parade, but this doesn't meet the criteria of a "blowout" in my book.....

Well, it's not a deal if it's not a guitar you're interested in, and I agree alot of the Fender stuff is only $50 +/- off regular street, but here's a few that are a "big deal", as you so eloquently put it, vood:

Gibson SG Standard - MSRP: 2517 reg street: 1649 sale: 1199

Fender Highway 1 Tele - MSRP: 1130 reg street: 899 sale: 699

Martin Custom D Classic Mahogany - MSRP: 1138 reg street: 999 sale: 899

Fender American Spcl Mahogany Strat HSS - 2000 1599 1349

Fender Classic 70s Strat - 1240 989 750

Fender Highway 1 HSS Srat - 1130 899 699

Fender Highway 1 Strat - 1130 899 699

Brian May Signature - 1235 949 799

Last I checked, that's considerably more than 10% on each one listed (save the Martin)...

Just trying to turn folks on to some deals here, man. I thought that was a nice thing to do. Sorry :)

Rocket
June 23rd, 2009, 11:09 AM
I think the test for "Blowout" is invalidated by the fact that zZounds, First Quality Music, Sweetwater, etc. are selling same for exactly the same pricing... for one instance: that "Gibson SG Standard - MSRP: 2517 reg street: 1649 sale: 1199" is also being sold at zZounds, First Quality Music, Sweetwater for $1199.
So much for MF's "blowout" pricing!

(Also keep in mind that zZounds is a forum "kickback" link!)

sunvalleylaw
June 23rd, 2009, 11:34 AM
BigG, I for one always like to know about a good sale. Not that I am buying right now. Keep 'em coming as you see them! Like anything, not all prices may be that special, but there can be some gems. Never hurts to pass the word. :)

bigG
June 23rd, 2009, 11:56 AM
I think the test for "Blowout" is invalidated by the fact that zZounds, First Quality Music, Sweetwater, etc. are selling same for exactly the same pricing... for one instance: that "Gibson SG Standard - MSRP: 2517 reg street: 1649 sale: 1199" is also being sold at zZounds, First Quality Music, Sweetwater for $1199.
So much for MF's "blowout" pricing!

(Also keep in mind that zZounds is a forum "kickback" link!)

Rocket, some of us know that all of these online dealers price match, or guarantee lowest prices. Perhaps the other retailers had to match the MF price on the SG...or perhaps MF had to match one of the other dealers that dropped prices first...? Whoever started it, I consider the items I listed, and many others, to qualify as a "blowout", no matter who's selling them at those prices. (As a general rule of thumb, these dealers pay a wholesale price equal to abt 60% of MSRP. And they're all in business to make money. So don't expect prices any lower, or much lower, unless one of the online dealers gets really desperate and has to move product at cost or below just to keep the money turning over!)

I only used MF as an example b/c usually they have the largest stock of manufacturers. (Unfortunately Zzounds is lacking in some brands, but I whole-heartedly agree that if you're gonna buy online, and they have it...BUY FROM ZZOUNDS!!! The Fret.net gets a "spiff" from every Zzounds' sale clicked thru from here!)

Somehow I think the entire point was missed here, so far. The first line of my first thread post reads: "For those of you who don't regularly visit MF...". Not everyone who is a member here, or visits here as a guest, checks out MF or Zzounds or Sweetwater, etc...on a regular basis, as alot of us do. This was simply for those folks, not the folks here who check these online retailers on a daily or weekly basis. I was simply trying to put some nice gear at nice discounts in front of anyone's eyes who doesn't know, or isn't aware. That's all. Simple.

I certainly didn't think that those who frequent major online retailers would greet this thread with such seeming disdain. Again, I'm sorry for trying to help out someone, anyone...just one person...but, if I did, the thread was worth it, I think. If everyone - EVERYONE - is already aware of this info, then I apologize for wasting anyone's time and TheFret's bandwidth.

That's all, folks...:)

Kazz
June 23rd, 2009, 12:31 PM
Rocket, some of us know that all of these online dealers price match, or guarantee lowest prices. Perhaps the other retailers had to match the MF price on the SG...or perhaps MF had to match one of the other dealers that dropped prices first...? Whoever started it, I consider the items I listed, and many others, to qualify as a "blowout", no matter who's selling them at those prices. (As a general rule of thumb, these dealers pay a wholesale price equal to abt 60% of MSRP. And they're all in business to make money. So don't expect prices any lower, or much lower, unless one of the online dealers gets really desperate and has to move product at cost or below just to keep the money turning over!)

I only used MF as an example b/c usually they have the largest stock of manufacturers. (Unfortunately Zzounds is lacking in some brands, but I whole-heartedly agree that if you're gonna buy online, and they have it...BUY FROM ZZOUNDS!!! The Fret.net gets a "spiff" from every Zzounds' sale clicked thru from here!)

Somehow I think the entire point was missed here, so far. The first line of my first thread post reads: "For those of you who don't regularly visit MF...". Not everyone who is a member here, or visits here as a guest, checks out MF or Zzounds or Sweetwater, etc...on a regular basis, as alot of us do. This was simply for those folks, not the folks here who check these online retailers on a daily or weekly basis. I was simply trying to put some nice gear at nice discounts in front of anyone's eyes who doesn't know, or isn't aware. That's all. Simple.

I certainly didn't think that those who frequent major online retailers would greet this thread with such seeming disdain. Again, I'm sorry for trying to help out someone, anyone...just one person...but, if I did, the thread was worth it, I think. If everyone - EVERYONE - is already aware of this info, then I apologize for wasting anyone's time and TheFret's bandwidth.

That's all, folks...:)

Suffice it to say that Rocket does not endorse Guitar Center or Musicians Friend :-)

Rocket
June 23rd, 2009, 01:17 PM
Suffice it to say that Rocket does not endorse Guitar Center or Musicians Friend
Well, let me know when they have an "actual" blowout sale, (I'll not be holding my breath.)
GC, Inc. and their unholy minions practice nothing more "friendly" than Wal-Mart marketing strategy applied to musical instruments... nuff said.

duhvoodooman
June 23rd, 2009, 02:02 PM
Just trying to turn folks on to some deals here, man. I thought that was a nice thing to do. Sorry
BigG--

It was a nice thing to do. Please understand that my comments were not meant to belittle your well-intentioned enthusiasm in the least, but rather to point out MF's questionable advertising practices. When people see "blowout", they reasonably expect something special/unusual--bargains above & beyond what is generally available. But most of these bargains turn out to be fairly ordinary sale pricing commonly available at MF as well as many other online retailers. I find this type of advertising intentionally misleading and duplicitous. Reminds me of the crapola I see/hear from certain furniture stores and car dealers--every sale is "rock-bottom, lowest prices ever, never to be repeated". Puh-leeze.... :rolleyes:

If there's any disdain in my or others' comments, I think it's clearly directed at MF and certainly not at you. Sorry if it didn't come across that way--my bad.

Rocket
June 23rd, 2009, 02:22 PM
If there's any disdain in my or others' comments, I think it's clearly directed at MF and certainly not at you.
Same here... no lumps on BigG.

Many lumps on GC, Inc. and their axis-of-evil brethren including:
Guitar Center (guitarcenter.com)
Musician's Friend (musiciansfriend.com)
Music 123 (music123.com)
Private Reserve Guitars (privatereserveguitars.com)
Woodwind & Brasswind (wwbw.com)
Giardinelli (giardinelli.com)

just strum
June 23rd, 2009, 02:36 PM
As an innocent bystandeard or 3rd party - I've seen people here and other forums post sales only to find out a sale really isn't a sale. There are people that have followed product enough to know that it is the same price at most other stores, or it is just price that was dropped after a price increase had a negative impact on sales.

I did not interpret this as an attack on bigG and if you are still out there, I wouldn't take offense to any of the comments. I would prefer to have someone flag it as not such a big sale, rather than make a purchase thinking I got a good deal.

A bit rambling, but you get the point.

marnold
June 23rd, 2009, 02:49 PM
Well, my DK2M definitely fell under the "blowout" category--less than1/2 the normal retail price. For some inexplicable reason, the red was cheapest, the black is $100 more, and the white is $100 more than that. Same guitar, just different paint jobs. The white was still way under normal retail. The dumb thing is that the 2009 DK2Ms will be on their floors soon--at $100 more than last year's full retail. Exact same guitar.

The dumb thing is that because of Gibson's pricing policies, if you want a high-end Les Paul, etc., you'll have to go to GC because none of the small, mom-and-pop retailers can afford to keep the ridiculous amount of stock on hand that Gibson demands. A good-sized local chain with about four or five stores recently dropped Gibson because they just couldn't afford the stock anymore. 95% of the customers who come in can't afford a guitar > $1500 anyway. I digress.

I appreciate the heads-up regardless, bigG.

Spudman
June 23rd, 2009, 02:51 PM
BigG--

It was a nice thing to do. But most of these bargains turn out to be fairly ordinary sale pricing commonly available at MF as well as many other online retailers. I find this type of advertising intentionally misleading and duplicitous.

I love it when you say exactly what I wanted to say. It saves me typing and trying to put coherent sentences together. Thanks.:)

sunvalleylaw
June 23rd, 2009, 03:27 PM
Well, my DK2M definitely fell under the "blowout" category--less than1/2 the normal retail price. For some inexplicable reason, the red was cheapest, the black is $100 more, and the white is $100 more than that. Same guitar, just different paint jobs. The white was still way under normal retail.

I appreciate the heads-up regardless, bigG.

I wondered about that. When I got my Hagstrom, the red was by far the best deal. Go figure. I really like the color. Yah, I think sometimes these "blowouts" can be misleading, but sometimes there are some gems. Caveat Emptor and all that, do your comparison shopping and all. We have almost no mom and pop stores around here anymore. There is one, but their guitar selection is not what I typically want. For that matter, there are hardly any in the state. A couple in Boise I guess worth looking in. GC unfortunately is about it if you want to look at a few things together. I love to support small shops, but the pricing structure makes it hard.

bigG
June 24th, 2009, 06:41 AM
Thanks for the understanding and positive vibe, guys! I really appreciate it! :beer:

I'll try to be more selective w my thread posts - and maybe a bit more clear in my point, explanation, and intent.

G

Rocket
June 24th, 2009, 07:33 AM
I'll try to be more selective w my thread posts - and maybe a bit more clear in my point, explanation, and intent.
Don't!
It's more fun if you just post honestly, (free speech, interpersonal communication, speak your mind and all that,)... just don't take the replies personally.