PDA

View Full Version : Samick Guitars - Greg Bennett Design

just strum
June 23rd, 2009, 04:40 PM
I found a music shop near work today and stopped in. They carry Gibson (although phasing out the line) and Fender, plus Samick guitars.

I know Samick factory makes many of the guitars we see today, but I never looked at ones that had their name attached. I was looking at a Royale RL3. I was so caught up in looking at the finish and overall quality, I never bothered to look at price. I didn't plug it in, but was playing it for a couple of minutes and I have to admit I was impressed.

I have to go back to the store and look at other models they have and look at the prices. The one I looked at and the models I glanced at appeared to be in direct competition with Ibanez, Epiphone price range (the $400 - $1,000 range)

Anyone own a Samick?

Rocket
June 23rd, 2009, 04:56 PM
Anyone own a Samick?
Never even seen one up close, but here's a pic of that RL-3:

http://www.gregbennettguitars.com/images/rl-3.jpg

WackyT
June 23rd, 2009, 05:26 PM
Anyone own a Samick?

Yup. Here's my AV3.

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/7714899d0118e8e3.jpg

I don't play it that often, but it is a nice guitar.

just strum
June 23rd, 2009, 05:27 PM
That's exactly like the one I was looking at. I will have to go back and plug it in. I have to be careful when I go there because of GAS and forgetting to go back to work. I ended up getting back late today because I lost track fo time - the day before the same thing happen when I was at the bike store (no, I don't wear a watch).

I will need to get more information on the ES335 and look at the other models (plugged in) of the Samick line.

The guy that was at the counter was enjoyable to talk to. We discussed different makes of guitars, his background (plays a lot of instruments, made his living performing in the 70's/80's). He was more concerned about talking music, different makes of guitars, and just general "what's good out there today". He never said "that one is cool" or "this one is killer" or "this is the one everyone wants in their collection". When I left there was no need to look up at the store sign to see if I was in Guitar Center.

just strum
June 23rd, 2009, 05:29 PM
Yup. Here's my AV3.

I don't play it that often, but it is a nice guitar.

Based on other makes of guitars, where would you place it? Did you buy it new? I ask because I am big on the "bang for the buck" philosophy.

Spudman
June 23rd, 2009, 05:36 PM
AV4 here. Les Paul meets Telecaster. Super sweet guitar with Duncan Designed pickups and coil taps. I only have one other guitar that has a better action than this one. Where would I place it? Under the straight up great guitar list.:AOK:

All the RLs other then the RL1 are very good guitars with great resonance, sustain and playability. I haven't found a lemon in those yet. Unfortunately I also haven't found one that meets my price requirements.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w149/srspud/Guitars/koreansquier014-1.jpg

WackyT
June 23rd, 2009, 05:42 PM
Based on other makes of guitars, where would you place it? Did you buy it new? I ask because I am big on the "bang for the buck" philosophy.

With my limited knowledge and experience, I'd place it about on the level with my Mexican Telecaster in build quality. I'd like to replace the pickups on her. They don't sound very good to me.

markb
June 23rd, 2009, 11:24 PM
Look for a "The Samick" 335 copy from a few years back. They're just as nice as Epi Dots but with a better (IMO) headstock shape and a bit more vintage correct (long guard, bound fingerboard). Very good guitars and usually very cheap but will probably need a pickup swap.

The Greg Bennett RL series guitars are not traditional semi-hollow construction, they're carved out from a solid block and capped like an Epi Wildkat but bigger. The ones I've found in shops are pretty heavy. Still not bad at all, though.

Rocket
June 23rd, 2009, 11:46 PM
Look for a "The Samick" 335 copy from a few years back. They're just as nice as Epi Dots but with a better (IMO) headstock shape and a bit more vintage correct (long guard, bound fingerboard). Very good guitars and usually very cheap but will probably need a pickup swap.
You referring to Samick SAN-450?

http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/8632/8701re2ao1.jpghttp://img258.imageshack.us/img258/9150/5d61re2vo5.jpg

Gutmann
June 24th, 2009, 04:20 AM
You referring to Samick SAN-450?

http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/8632/8701re2ao1.jpghttp://img258.imageshack.us/img258/9150/5d61re2vo5.jpg

16 Years ago, I ordered one of those with a more plain headstock. I played one gig with it and I had bad humming problems so I sent it back the next day.

But I still do have a 60W solid state samick amp - and this one sounds really good:AOK:

Kazz
June 24th, 2009, 05:17 AM
Mark,

I have an AV3 too....have had it for 4 years now....got it about the time I joined the Washburn forum. I had the pups switched out to those Washburn EMG Selects...because I thought they would be cool LMAO....Now I am looking for something similar to the 498r 500t pickups used in Gibson Les Pauls.

Quality wise it has been a really good guitar. I do think I am about ready to replace all of the electronics with the aforementioned Gibson or Gibson style replacement parts. Not sure what those RL's cost...but the AV3 brand new was less than $200 and I still enjoy it to this day.

Duff
June 25th, 2009, 12:42 AM
Isn't this something. I just bought a brand new Samick MB-50 strat type blue with white pearl pickguard and nice hardware as well as duncan designed HSS pickups for 125 new.

I was going to ask if anyone has owned a Samick MB-50 strat. They street for around 350 plus when they were available and claim to be solid alder or ash. Nice guitar by the way. Any info from anyone who has played the MB-50 Samick strat will be greatly appreciated. I believe it is at the top of the MB line, also known as the Malibu line. Solid body.

I have an outstanding Samick Jumbo acoustic that I love and only cost 178, laminated of course but real loud and smooth; hard wired Dean Markley Pro Mag soundhole humbucker with strap post jack. Sounds great thru a reg. guitar amp, probably because of the humbucker DM Pro Mag. Sounds fabulous unplugged.

Duffy

ZMAN
June 26th, 2009, 07:37 AM
IF my mind serves me correctly the Royale is about the same size as a Les paul, more along the line of an ES 339. I was looking for a case for an Esprit and that was about the same dimensions.
My Sheraton is A Sammick made 2001 model. It is probably one of the nicest guitars I own. I have never owned an actual Sammick model but I would think they are some of the nicer semi hollow bodies out there. I checked out the RL Series and the RL3 and the RL5 look amazing. Price about 550 to 650 Street price. The RL5 looks like a sweet guitar. Those DD humbuckers are very nice. I have them in another Korean made Fender.

Spudman
June 26th, 2009, 09:05 AM
IF my mind serves me correctly the Royale is about the same size as a Les paul, more along the line of an ES 339.

The Royale body is significantly larger than a LP. A Les Paul case wouldn't fit a Royale.

ZMAN
June 26th, 2009, 02:41 PM
The Royale body is significantly larger than a LP. A Les Paul case wouldn't fit a Royale.
I said it was about the same size as a Les Paul along the lines of the ES339, the scaled down version of the 335 body. The bout width I was looking for was 14 inches for the Esprit. I never did find a case for the Esprit and I have it in a Classical case. Fender had the case but discontinued it very quickly. It was around 160 bucks. Too much.

Spudman
June 26th, 2009, 04:23 PM
It was around 160 bucks. Too much.

Ouch! What's happened to cases lately. They seem to have gone through the roof. It's criminal I tell ya.

ZMAN
June 27th, 2009, 05:50 AM
Yea Spud we tried every case that the shop that I bought the Esprit had and the only one that would fit was the Classical. 40 bucks, but it is about 5 inches thick. I only use the case to store it in and if I travel with it I pack it with a foam pillow. I really like the look of the RL5. With those Duncan Design Humbuckers it would probably sound pretty good. The DD pickups I have on the Esprit are voiced like the JB, and the 59 and sound very nice.
I wonder which ones are in the RL5 and RL3?
Interesting I just noticed that the RL5 comes with both bridges. So I guess you could go the Jazz route or the stop tailpiece route with it.

thekiwidisciple
June 27th, 2009, 05:56 AM
Our school has a GB Samick acoustic. It's a beautiful instrument. We have a pair of Chinese Fender acoustics too, which is absolutely slaughters in terms of sound and quality...and looks!