PDA

View Full Version : How many guitars do you really need?

Jimi75
June 24th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Hey folks, what do you think, how many guitars do you really need as a hobby player?

Lets say the average international hobby player has 2 live gigs in 6 months, plays mostly rehearsal with his bands and doodles about 1-2 hours a week at home.

I have seen hobby players with huge collections. I for myself think it's sufficient to have two electric guitars of different types and maybe one acoustic, either dreadnought or nylon.

What's your opinion?

I have voted 2-3, because the less guitars you have the better the chance to get a good bond with your guitars. :AOK:

Suhnton
June 24th, 2009, 08:38 AM
I have a few, but really, one is plenty.

sumitomo
June 24th, 2009, 08:44 AM
Just one more!!!! Sumi:D

marnold
June 24th, 2009, 08:50 AM
GAS has never really been about need. But I'd say two because if you actually are gigging you should have a backup, especially if you are using a floating trem. For me, I realistically only "need" one. When I upgraded my Floyd, my Fender basically sat there for the most part. My second guitar is a bass since that's really a different animal altogether.

bigG
June 24th, 2009, 09:24 AM
My opinion, at least two - one electric, one acoustic...BUT...

To cover the three basic electric guitar sounds, I'd say an LP style, a Strat style and a Tele style. So that's three electrics and one acoustic. In a perfect world, that should cover it. Four guitars...BUT...

This isn't a perfect world, and, in my opinion, different variations of neck styles, shapes and sizes, pickups, hard-tail and whammy, body shape, beauty and wood type...and on and on...SO...

That's why I have so many. I think collecting gits is fun, and each was chosen for its own personality and playability.

BUT, the question was how many do you NEED, not WANT, so I'll go w four: LP, Strat, Tele and one acoustic. Then again, it depends on the type of music you play! A jazz cat would undoubtedly need a semi-hollow or full-hollow. A country picker maybe just a Tele...Yikes, I'm frrrreakin' out, man!

But, this is subjective opinion, and, again, I say four...

No more BUTS...:D

duhvoodooman
June 24th, 2009, 09:48 AM
Resorting to mathematics, the number of guitars I need is represented by the variable N. The value of N is defined by the relationship:

N = X + 1

where X = the number of guitars I own at any given time.

hubberjub
June 24th, 2009, 10:33 AM
I use gear as camoflage. If I have enough guitars around me people won't be able to see my poor playing.

sunvalleylaw
June 24th, 2009, 10:55 AM
My opinion, at least two - one electric, one acoustic...BUT...

To cover the three basic electric guitar sounds, I'd say an LP style, a Strat style and a Tele style. So that's three electrics and one acoustic. In a perfect world, that should cover it. Four guitars...BUT...

This isn't a perfect world, and, in my opinion, different variations of neck styles, shapes and sizes, pickups, hard-tail and whammy, body shape, beauty and wood type...and on and on...SO...

That's why I have so many. I think collecting gits is fun, and each was chosen for its own personality and playability.

BUT, the question was how many do you NEED, not WANT, so I'll go w four: LP, Strat, Tele and one acoustic. Then again, it depends on the type of music you play! A jazz cat would undoubtedly need a semi-hollow or full-hollow. A country picker maybe just a Tele...Yikes, I'm frrrreakin' out, man!

But, this is subjective opinion, and, again, I say four...

No more BUTS...:D

I concur mostly with this answer, but since it was stated as NEED, I voted 2-3, with two being my answer. Acoustic and Strat. My WANT list as a hobby player would be 4 to 5, one acoustic, Strat, Semi-hollow, tele or LP, and depending on what you really like, either a whatever you didn't pic between the tele/LP or a full hollowbody. I would have to get there and really know my guitars before I made that choice. And I would need some time to decide between a tele and a LP. I lean tele now because I think my Hagstrom covers closely enough the LP territory for now. I also would like to have a "back up" swiss army knife guitar like an Ibanez S470. Oh, and I would like a mandolin, but that is a horse of a different color. ;)

Rocket
June 24th, 2009, 01:16 PM
(maybe 31)
(or 32)
(and an understanding wife!)

Spudman
June 24th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Just one more!!!!

EXACTLY!:AOK:

Auriemma
June 24th, 2009, 01:51 PM
My wife askes that question everytime I get GAS. My answer is always the same:

JUST ONE MORE.

bigoldron
June 24th, 2009, 02:06 PM
I agree with Sumi and Vood.

piebaldpython
June 24th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Gits are to guys as shoes are to women. Doesn't matter how many you have, there's always something NEW to catch your attention. :bravo:

I would say 2-3 but if one has varied tastes, then the NEED increases exponentially. :D

ibanezjunkie
June 24th, 2009, 04:04 PM
its all directly preportional to

1. how much you like playing

and

2. how much spare cash you have.

Perfect Stranger
June 24th, 2009, 04:15 PM
It's the rules... "the one with the most guitars wins!"

just strum
June 24th, 2009, 04:24 PM
I went with two to three based on how many do you really need (not want).

Basing it on electrics, I think three with different electronics will do the trick.

If it were one, it would be 335 style guitar.

That said, I currently have five (3 electric, 2 acoustic) and I think my high number was 10, but most likely for a very short period of time (maybe two days). Currently leaving the door open for number 6.

pes_laul
June 24th, 2009, 04:32 PM
I voted two to three. You can't go wrong with a standard tuned electric, another electric for whatever tuning, and an acoustic. but then you get the other key factors and you find yourself saying: "I need one with a floyd" "I need a 7 string" I need a nylon string" etc

Plank_Spanker
June 24th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Let's see..................................

One main gig guitar, a solid spare gig guitar, a good acoustic........................and a bunch of others just to keep things interesting. I ended up with a good sized collection of nice guitars at one point, but some of them I just never played. I pared down to just the players - 9 guitars...........................plus a travel guitar and a couple of loaners.

But I'm always GASing for more.....................:D

kiteman
June 25th, 2009, 06:33 AM
I voted 2-3 also. I have 3, one with passive bucks, one with active bucks, and one with passive bucks that thinks it's active bucks (D'Activators). :)

wingsdad
June 25th, 2009, 07:24 AM
Sticking strictly to your direct question as it pertains to your defining parameters of a 'hobby player', Jimi, I voted 2-3, and I echo this assessment:

...One main gig guitar, a solid spare gig guitar, a good acoustic...
But then again, although I'm not a golfer, I know 'hobby golfers', guys who play only occasionally, not weekly or even monthly, and they've got bags loaded with a weapon for every conceivable shot...Irons 1-9,
a few different types of putters, pitching wedge, sand wedge, 5 woods and a Big Bertha to boot...and bursitis in their shoulders from hauling all those toys around.

So, if the hobby guitar player seeks every conceivable sound, then many here have touched on what's needed to feed that jones. Only I'd add one 'needs' at least 1 12-string, preferably 2, an acoustic and an electric.

I've been a hobby player since I settled down & got married with children 24 years ago. Until 12 years ago, I was fine with my Guild D40, my STRAT and my Rick 12, my 3 I held on to after leaving my working player days behind. Then I started GASsing to rebuild the harem I'd had as a pro, so I could recapture all the sounds I'd lived on. First came the Musicmaster bass, then Yamaha 12, then.... #$&!#*$$$$$...until about 5 years ago I decided to fill the other gaps...nylon/classical, uke, mando...dobro...shoot, I even went through 2 banjos.

Acoustic guitars, because their sound is reliant on the wide variety of body sizes & types and tone woods are a beast unto themselves.

Jimi75
June 25th, 2009, 07:36 AM
Sticking strictly to your direct question as it pertains to your defining parameters of a 'hobby player', Jimi, I voted 2-3, and I echo this assessment:

But then again, although I'm not a golfer, I know 'hobby golfers', guys who play only occasionally, not weekly or even monthly, and they've got bags loaded with a weapon for every conceivable shot...Irons 1-9,
a few different types of putters, pitching wedge, sand wedge, 5 woods and a Big Bertha to boot...and bursitis in their shoulders from hauling all those toys around.

So, if the hobby guitar player seeks every conceivable sound, then many here have touched on what's needed to feed that jones. Only I'd add one 'needs' at least 1 12-string, preferably 2, an acoustic and an electric.

I've been a hobby player since I settled down & got married with children 24 years ago. Until 12 years ago, I was fine with my Guild D40, my STRAT and my Rick 12, my 3 I held on to after leaving my working player days behind. Then I started GASsing to rebuild the harem I'd had as a pro, so I could recapture all the sounds I'd lived on. First came the Musicmaster bass, then Yamaha 12, then.... #$&!#*$$$$$...until about 5 years ago I decided to fill the other gaps...nylon/classical, uke, mando...dobro...shoot, I even went through 2 banjos.

Acoustic guitars, because their sound is reliant on the wide variety of body sizes & types and tone woods are a beast unto themselves.

Took me 30 minutes approx. to read your sig ;)

Lev
June 25th, 2009, 08:05 AM
I brought 3 guitars to my last gig, sound checked all 3 but as ever I only used my Deluxe HSS strat for the whole gig so I'm going to say 1!

I really can go from classic humbucker rock songs to lighter pop/ballads just using the pickup selector and volume/tone controls.

that doesn't take away from the fact that I really want a 335 and a Tele!!

tjcurtin1
June 25th, 2009, 08:38 AM
its all directly preportional to

1. how much you like playing

and

2. how much spare cash you have.

I think that IJ touches on a certain reality here, to which I might only add (as either #1 or #3, depending on the individual) 'How much you are driven by the desire (when dos that qualify as 'need'?) for another variation of sound/look/feel or, heck, just the wish to buy yet another guitar?'

I also agree with Wingsdad that when you include acoustics, you open another can of worms - 6, string, 12-string, nylon, resonator, etc., which would skew the answer especially if you you play acoustic as much as electric. With that in mind, I opted for 4: 2 electrics (a humbucker and a single coil) and 2 acoustics.

MichaelE
June 27th, 2009, 07:14 PM
The more the merrier!

Can't forget about a jazzbox!

Actually four or five is a good number for me. Acoustic 6 & 12 strings, jazzbox, and two different electrics.

I'm supposed to be getting yet another electric, but not sure how long it will be.

Brian Krashpad
June 29th, 2009, 06:48 AM
Really need? At least 2 electrics, because live one needs a backup in case of string breaks and other technical mishaps.

And one acoustic.

That said, I have lots more than that. It's fun to have LP's, Teles, Strats, SG's, semi's, etc. And then to further subdivide by ones with all the various options (alnico and ceramic humbuckers; regular Teles and Teles with neckbuckers; Nashville Teles; fullsize HB's versus mini-humbuckers; funky non-Fender type singlecoils like DeArmonds, Ric High-Gains, Brownsville toasters and of course P-90's; thinline versus bigger-bodied semi's, etc.). And of course, some 12-strings and four-strings (basses)!

Especially if one includes church, though, I do play out more than the 4 or so times a year mentioned in the OP. In fact during the summer I'm playing every Sunday. Yay! And in the Fall when we do football parking at our church (fundraiser for our youth group made possible because our church is a few blocks from Florida Field at UF) I'll probably be playing on home game day Saturdays as well. That will be especially cool because my daughter will be playing bass. She has my four basses to choose from, plus the church has one, so she's set too.

;)

Brian Krashpad
June 29th, 2009, 06:51 AM
I brought 3 guitars to my last gig, sound checked all 3 but as ever I only used my Deluxe HSS strat for the whole gig ...

I frequently do this, I always bring at least 2 guitars and sometimes 3. But since I don't use alternate tunings or anything, they're there as backups, and only used if I break a string.

Rocket
June 29th, 2009, 07:30 AM
How many guitars do you really need?
All of them!

ibanezjunkie
July 7th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Resorting to mathematics, the number of guitars I need is represented by the variable N. The value of N is defined by the relationship:

N = X + 1

where X = the number of guitars I own at any given time.

finally, some maths i understand! maybe if my exams were filled with questions on working out how much money i need for that dream setup id pass it...but probably not :rotflmao:

deeaa
July 8th, 2009, 05:39 AM
I voted 2-3 but that doesn't include all various subtypes.

Currently I have, hm, six guitars and a bass.

What I think I _need_ is one acoustic, one great electric and a backup for that electric - so yeah, three would suffice. I have one more electric I keep for home playing so as not to have to drag my 'live' guitars back and forth, though, plus one freaky instrument that is made out of soapstone(!) yep you read right, made of stone. It's more a novelty item though.

evenkeel
July 9th, 2009, 05:57 AM
And from the light side...

Couple of dreads, one Rosewood, one Mahogany.

A 000 and a 12 string.

Then a few to keep in alternate tunings is sure nice. Open D, Open G.

Sunburst slope shoulder, all those natural tops gets a bit boring.

Even over on the light side, the need vs want equation gets a bit tricky.

of course they do all sound the same..... :poke:

Rampant
July 11th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Sheesh - I've been playing less than a year. Electric is main, but I've got an (electro) acoustic traveller.

I'm really smitten by a semi-acoustic Ibanez I've seen lately, but can't afford the damn thing at the moment. If I did, it would give me 3 different styles of guitars and I think that would be enough to satisfy the "NEED".

So 2-3 gets my vote.

However, more is always more desirable. Not essential, but very definitely desirable :)

Cheerz

Rampant

Plank_Spanker
July 12th, 2009, 01:47 PM
If I had the money, I would be to guitars what Imelda Marcos was to shoes...................I love 'em! :rotflmao:

ibanezjunkie
July 12th, 2009, 04:33 PM
i could spend thousands satisfying my 'needs', couldnt we all, eh?

bek
July 14th, 2009, 01:41 AM
If you play slide (or at least attempt it) you have a great excuse for more. I have a 6-string flattop, an old reso bought at a church thrift shop, a Chinese tricone and a 12-string flattop. My wife enourages acoustics, thus the 12-string I always wanted but never really believed I should get. She gave it to me as an anniversary gift. As for electrics, at least a Fender-type and a Gibson-type, then you need a semihollow. At least, I want one real bad. I won a Squier Strat in a raffle, so that one's a gimme and doesn't count. I have a real good Tele I'm selling, a BC Rich Mockingbird I got in a trade (selling it, too), and a Jay Turser electric reso I'm selling and an Epi gold-sparkletop LP I'm selling. The key is, I'm always "selling." I really would sell those things, too, but I hardly ever get an actual offer so they're still here. But technically, I'm selling them. Can't buy another until I sell at least one. Then, too, there's the "collection" aspect. I have a couple Linderts, and I like them so well (as so does She -- that's a key point) that we consider them more or less untouchable. So if I find a Lindy that's a Strat model and not too bad a price, I know I'll be ok getting it, even though "I'm selling a lot of my guitars." Anybody want one? Great prices!! Really, for most players who do regular stuff, a good flattop and one or two decent electrics is plenty.