PDA

View Full Version : Question about my video lessons

Robert
June 24th, 2009, 02:14 PM
I have been doing video lessons for a long time now, and sometimes I've used a video angle where you can see both right and left hands at the same time. The drawback is that there is no real close-up of either hand, so it might be hard to see what is going on.

I have also created lessons where the left hand is very up-close, and then later in the video, I have shown the right hand up-close as well. The drawback is of course that you can only look at one hand at the time in the video, which may be confusing and/or harder to learn the musical idea which is being conveyed.

What say ye? Which way is better for you?

M29
June 24th, 2009, 02:24 PM
What ever way has the most veins of course!

I had not noticed it being bad either way. The way you have been doing it is great? Sometimes one hand needs more clarification than the other and I think you have covered that instinctively. They are great and I really appreciate them.

M29

bigG
June 24th, 2009, 03:27 PM
What ever way has the most veins of course!

I had not noticed it being bad either way. The way you have been doing it is great? Sometimes one hand needs more clarification than the other and I think you have covered that instinctively. They are great and I really appreciate them.

M29

+1

Robert
June 24th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Hmm, it would be helpful to know which approach you prefer. It's been kind of random - sometimes up-close and sometimes a farther away shot with both hands and the whole guitar visible. The SRV lick lesson had both hands at once, and many have just the left hand up-close, or both.

So which of these two below is more helpful?

Both hands the whole time
38CurRi0A8M

Mostly left hand, later both hands visible at the same time
AUuKGm6Lv8o

duhvoodooman
June 24th, 2009, 04:04 PM
I'd favor a combination of the two--shot of both hands at the same time for most of the lesson, but a close-up of the fretting hand or picking hand to demonstrate particularly difficult or tricky stuff in greater detail. That would be the best of both worlds, IMO.

just strum
June 24th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Left and Right hands filmed separately, to allow for more close-up

M29
June 24th, 2009, 07:53 PM
I think both would be best. I have been watching the right hand more lately in lesson videos. Your vids with both hands are very good.

M

sunvalleylaw
June 24th, 2009, 10:27 PM
I'd favor a combination of the two--shot of both hands at the same time for most of the lesson, but a close-up of the fretting hand or picking hand to demonstrate particularly difficult or tricky stuff in greater detail. That would be the best of both worlds, IMO.

I basically agree with that. I like seeing most of the lesson with both hands visible like the SRV lesson, so I can see how the hands work together. But for a particularly difficult part, it would not hurt to go over really tricky parts showing one hand to get it just right. But I still want to see both together, and for most things, the top vid works good for me.

Jimi75
June 25th, 2009, 01:09 AM
I voted poll option no 2 also thinking of players that are newer to guitar playing. I think it is way easier to follow your lesson when being able to study each hand and its motions on its own.