PDA

View Full Version : Saw Petty & the Heartbreakers....

duhvoodooman
August 14th, 2006, 05:19 AM
...last night at the Saratoga Performing Arts Center, on a bill with the Derek Trucks Band and the Allman Bros. Band. Quite a show. Trucks went on at 6 PM and Petty didn't finish until after 11:30, so it was quite the evening of music. There were 30 min. breaks between bands, but it was still a lot of music.

I've seen the Allmans several times (and they were as good or better than ever); highlights were In Memory of Elizabeth Reed and an amazing version of Whipping Post. This was the first time I've ever seen Petty, though, and he put on a great, great show--all of his hits, very well performed. And the equipment on that stage was to die for! Petty, Mike Campbell and Scott Thurston all play through gorgeous dual Vox stacks, and I've never seen so many different guitars used by one band in my life. Yikes! Especially Rickenbackers. But you name it, I'll bet they played it! (oops, sorry, Robert--no '51's!).

SuperSwede
August 14th, 2006, 06:17 AM
I´ve never seen Tom Petty live but I heard that his shows are something extra. Did you bring the camera?

6STRINGS 9LIVES
August 14th, 2006, 09:26 AM
Hey Voodo, that must have been quite a show, the best of florida rock .. I have always been a fan of the heartbreakers and mike campbell is one of my all time favourites , the man never overplays and his tone is second to none .I actually had a beer with him in the toronto airport in 84, very nice guy . They tour with some of the coolest vintage gear , Campbells rick and ac-30 tone is the best i've ever heard , he uses fender deluxe reverbs and fender vibratone cabs as well as a old kustom 250 amp and cab..did he have his 1950 broadcaster out for a tune , thats the guitar he has used on every album ( along with others ) its the guitar he uses on breakdown what a signature tone ..for all you fretters who are trying to find that classic tone you could do no better than to sit down with a pile of heartbreakers tracks and listen to the guitars , always killer and always tonal nirvana.. i've spent hours trying to get some of his tones , his blackface fender tone with single coils is truly classic ... Voodoo thanks for the report ...6S9L

duhvoodooman
August 14th, 2006, 04:46 PM
Did you bring the camera?
No cameras allowed in there. :mad:

...did he have his 1950 broadcaster out for a tune , thats the guitar he has used on every album ( along with others ) its the guitar he uses on breakdown what a signature tone
Not sure, but I think so. He played what looked like a butterscotch Tele with a black pickguard for the last couple of tunes of the night. I assumed it was a Tele, but maybe it was the Broadcaster? BTW, they didn't do Breakdown, now that you mention it....

Leonidas
August 29th, 2006, 07:43 PM
Sounds like an awesome show! I actually just saw the Allman Brothers with Gov't Mule opening two nights ago. Amazing show! They are really playing on top of their game lately. (The ABB are my favorite band, btw) Petty would be somethin to see...