PDA

View Full Version : Tube swap for Marshall VS100

FrankenFretter
June 27th, 2009, 02:07 PM
I'm thinking about swapping the 12AX7 in my VS100 for a 5751. Has anybody tried this? The clean channel could use some help, seems to suffer from too much gain. I also have a Vox AD30VT that I might try the same swap with. Thoughts, suggestions, useless anecdotes? Thanks!

:beavisnbutthead:

tunghaichuan
June 27th, 2009, 02:14 PM
A 5751 or a 12AY7/6072 will probably be your best bets. They are close to the 12AX7 in ratings, but are lower gain. The other pin-compatible tubes such as the 12AT7, 12AU7, et al. are different than the 12AX7, and are not really lower gain versions of the 12AX7. They will probably work in the circuit, but it is hard to say if they will cause problems or not as I don't have a schematic.

tung

I'm thinking about swapping the 12AX7 in my VS100 for a 5751. Has anybody tried this? The clean channel could use some help, seems to suffer from too much gain. I also have a Vox AD30VT that I might try the same swap with. Thoughts, suggestions, useless anecdotes? Thanks!

:beavisnbutthead:

TS808
June 27th, 2009, 08:34 PM
With the Vox, I would definitely stick with a 12ax7. A different tube will more than likely affect the voicings of the amp models. Even certain 12ax7's will affect the voicings somewhat too. I've tried groove tubes and JJ's in my Vox and didn't really notice a difference, but I know from the Valvetronix forums that certain tubes in the Vox WILL affect the tone dramatically.

I don't know how it will affect the Valvestate, but it's worth trying. I did put a 12DW7 in my Peavey amp and was really pleased with how it smoothed out the distortion, so you never know...can't hurt to try it in the Marshall.

FrankenFretter
June 29th, 2009, 01:49 PM
Thanks, guys. I appreciate the input. I may end up getting rid of the Vox and picking up a Blackheart anyway. Haven't quite decided yet.

TS808
June 29th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Thanks, guys. I appreciate the input. I may end up getting rid of the Vox and picking up a Blackheart anyway. Haven't quite decided yet.

If you decide on the Blackheart, I'd recommend the Handsome Devil. The Little Giant is cool too, but on the 7 watt setting, the Handsome Devil can be cranked without splitting your ear drums, plus it gives you a Drive and Presence control. It also takes pedals real well, which you will need if you want a heavier overdrive sound.

Pros and cons: Both the Vox and Blackheart have nice tones...the Vox offers more versatility whereas the Blackheart is a single channel amp.

FrankenFretter
June 30th, 2009, 07:21 AM
If you decide on the Blackheart, I'd recommend the Handsome Devil. The Little Giant is cool too, but on the 7 watt setting, the Handsome Devil can be cranked without splitting your ear drums, plus it gives you a Drive and Presence control. It also takes pedals real well, which you will need if you want a heavier overdrive sound.

Pros and cons: Both the Vox and Blackheart have nice tones...the Vox offers more versatility whereas the Blackheart is a single channel amp.

The Vox does have versatility, but it seems to lack depth and warmth, no matter which amp it's modeling. It's fun to play with, but it would be nice to have a full tube amp. The Orange Tiny Terror and the Vox Night Train would be in the running if I didn't have a family to support. :)